ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps  (Read 22413 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »

I ordered some low-cost two-channel cable ramp off the Ebay. They are still gassing off lord knows what on my front porch. Hopefully another couple days of desert heat will fix that. Certainly got a good price at $25/section, and they seem reasonably well built, although the sections don't lock together as well as I'd like.

Any issues with using these over the $100/section ramp?

Is there a good spot to get a better price on the good stuff?

I searched this forum but didn't see anything. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »

I ordered some low-cost two-channel cable ramp off the Ebay. They are still gassing off lord knows what on my front porch. Hopefully another couple days of desert heat will fix that.
We bought some years ago.  It has probably been 7 years, and they are STILL gassing "something".

Imagine working in that place-------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

I bought 60' of the Pyle black and yellow versions.  Yep... gassy... would love to been able o get checkers but dang that stuff is costly...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »

... but depending on the market, they can pay for themselves in a season. Mine go for $12 to $17/each/day, and $25ish for a week- ten rentals and they're paid for.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »

... but depending on the market, they can pay for themselves in a season. Mine go for $12 to $17/each/day, and $25ish for a week- ten rentals and they're paid for.

-Ray

Are you tacking the ramp rental onto your quote for a system package?

How do you justify to client?

I just did two gigs for a township out here and when I asked for their cable ramps the response was "that's provided by you". Had to send a runner to the big orange store to get 100' of runner to secure run out to FOH.

I feel like it's going to be tough to add $500 onto a $2k quote even if it is safety related.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »

Perhaps list cable ramps as a separate line item and put the onus on the client to affirmatively say no, we will not pay for ramps?  I might still opt to use some ramps anyway, just for CYA purposes, even if I'm not getting paid (much or anything) for the ramps. Dry hire is a different story, of course.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »

I upped my day rate and made mention of up to 60 feet of cable cover protection to enhance safety/ reduce liability.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »

We bought some years ago.  It has probably been 7 years, and they are STILL gassing "something".

Imagine working in that place-------

They stink like old school magic marker!!!  I have the 2 channel, they squish a bit with something heavy is going over them but OK for the random car that wandered into somewhere it maybe shouldn't be, golf carts/Kubota/Gator side-by-sides and humans.  They've paid for themselves many times over as a line item in my small world.  If the job requires something more serious then I rent legit.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

They stink like old school magic marker!!! . . .If the job requires something more serious then I rent legit.
The ones I received smell like bad karma and whatever's left over after you're done making asphalt. . .probably each one is worth a cap and trade credit.

I scrubbed one down with Purple Power and left it in the sun all day and that got rid of the worst of the smell, though.

BTW, cheapest price I found on the Checkers stuff is Amazon with free 2-day shipping. Go figure. Comes out about 20% cheaper than my local exclusive distributor and Amazon stocks the stuff.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »

BTW, cheapest price I found on the Checkers stuff is Amazon with free 2-day shipping. Go figure. Comes out about 20% cheaper than my local exclusive distributor and Amazon stocks the stuff.
The pricing I just saw was about 20% *more* than what I've been paying when I order them (through a local reseller) from Checkers. And when you order them directly from Checkers, you have the ability to custom-logo or custom-color the lid.

Are you tacking the ramp rental onto your quote for a system package?
Typically ramps are being added to electrical services order. I.e. if you're ordering our generator with our production (and I include five cable ramps for free with it), you probably need extra cable ramps with it (since 15 feet probably won't be enough).

We generally only suggest cable ramps when the FOH/power runs are either likely to be driven over, or on concrete. Cable runs in grass typically aren't covered, unless it's in a high foot traffic area.

That all being said, cable ramps are also something that I use as a freebie to secure a show. "Oh, price is a bit high? Let me comp these 20 cable ramps for you." Client feels happy they got safety for free, and it gets the show. Cable ramps and DJ gear are two things I use in that manner- I always prefer to get paid for those rentals, but I'm also willing to give them for free to demonstrate added value of our production services.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.