ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recomendations for a small mixer with RS232 control input  (Read 4738 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Recomendations for a small mixer with RS232 control input
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »

I hate installs. I really do. If I could give up this part of what I do I would be so much happier.

Anyway, because of reasons that will never actually be put into use in the real world, I have been tasked with designing a small system for a coupple of rooms. We're talking 3-4 inputs each and 3-4 ceiling speakers, and Muahhhhhhhhh I just. Can't. Even.....

>:(

Anyways, they want to control the main room volume with a server that evidently outputs RS232 commands that my "simple" little mixer is supposed to receive and turn into volume up and volume down commands.

This is all part of a "smart" classroom. THat actually doesn't do anything even remotely smart. It just will have a touchscreen control to switch video inputs and control the volume. Thats it. Colossal waste of time and money, but it's not my money sooooooo.......

What install mixerr has RS232 input that can control the main volume. If it switched inputs that would be cool. A Dante option would be a bonus, but not needed.

Thanks...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Recomendations for a small mixer with RS232 control input
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »

Not sure what your budget is, but the Yamaha MRX7-D is a Dante processor that can be controlled by RS-232 (and a million other ways)...
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/processors/mrx7d/index.jsp
It's about $2800.00
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »

I hate installs. I really do. If I could give up this part of what I do I would be so much happier.

Anyway, because of reasons that will never actually be put into use in the real world, I have been tasked with designing a small system for a coupple of rooms. We're talking 3-4 inputs each and 3-4 ceiling speakers, and Muahhhhhhhhh I just. Can't. Even.....

>:(

Anyways, they want to control the main room volume with a server that evidently outputs RS232 commands that my "simple" little mixer is supposed to receive and turn into volume up and volume down commands.

This is all part of a "smart" classroom. THat actually doesn't do anything even remotely smart. It just will have a touchscreen control to switch video inputs and control the volume. Thats it. Colossal waste of time and money, but it's not my money sooooooo.......

What install mixerr has RS232 input that can control the main volume. If it switched inputs that would be cool. A Dante option would be a bonus, but not needed.

Thanks...

Tim,
Many of the DSP based processors out there (Ashly, BiAmp, BSS, QSC) offer an rs232 control capability.  Virtually all offer IP based integration. 

What control is being used for the touchscreen interfacing?

BSS BLU-50 is about the least expensive DSP with bothrs232 and IP control.  It can be connected to simple Ethernet control pads and allows a great deal of expansion. 
If there are multiple rooms but you could locate the control in a central area (or a few centrally located areas) then you can use larger DSP chassis and provide different zones of control.  That would get you up into larger BSS, QSC QSYS, Yamaha, or Ashly territory.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »

Tim,
Many of the DSP based processors out there (Ashly, BiAmp, BSS, QSC) offer an rs232 control capability.  Virtually all offer IP based integration. 

What control is being used for the touchscreen interfacing?

BSS BLU-50 is about the least expensive DSP with bothrs232 and IP control.  It can be connected to simple Ethernet control pads and allows a great deal of expansion. 
If there are multiple rooms but you could locate the control in a central area (or a few centrally located areas) then you can use larger DSP chassis and provide different zones of control.  That would get you up into larger BSS, QSC QSYS, Yamaha, or Ashly territory.

Lee

This might be the best option. I have a 16x8 Atlas BlueBridge with Dante on the same floor. I have plenty of room on that to expand.

Since I am pretty new to this end of the market, could someone give me a Go/NoGo on being able to do this with a single BlueBridge?

I have 4 inputs in room A with a Left/Right/Sub system. It has 1 control panel already
Rooms B and C (smart classrooms) need 3 inputs and 1 output each for ceiling speakers and the ability to use an RS232 control input to switch inputs and control main volumes. These need to be seperate for each room.

Can the BlueBridge do that?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »

This might be the best option. I have a 16x8 Atlas BlueBridge with Dante on the same floor. I have plenty of room on that to expand.

Since I am pretty new to this end of the market, could someone give me a Go/NoGo on being able to do this with a single BlueBridge?

I have 4 inputs in room A with a Left/Right/Sub system. It has 1 control panel already
Rooms B and C (smart classrooms) need 3 inputs and 1 output each for ceiling speakers and the ability to use an RS232 control input to switch inputs and control main volumes. These need to be seperate for each room.

Can the BlueBridge do that?

I have not worked with that system.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »

I have not worked with that system.

Lee

I have

I see no reason you couldn't setup 2 different rooms on one processor - BUT if you are recalling presets I can't remember if they are selective or on all attributes so make sure a preset recall via rs232 won't bone your other room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »

Meh. This stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll take a too-loud, egotistical drummer any day over this stuff.

So after calling both Atlas and HRS, it looks like I can do this. Atlas BlueBridge acccepts hexcode to do "stuff". HRS UDC software can output Hexcode to an IP. So if I put equal parts in a shaker over ice I should get a smart classroom-tini. Which still tastes awful and is way to complicated for something that the end user will be too intimidated to use.....

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »

Meh. This stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll take a too-loud, egotistical drummer any day over this stuff.

So after calling both Atlas and HRS, it looks like I can do this. Atlas BlueBridge acccepts hexcode to do "stuff". HRS UDC software can output Hexcode to an IP. So if I put equal parts in a shaker over ice I should get a smart classroom-tini. Which still tastes awful and is way to complicated for something that the end user will be too intimidated to use.....

Sorry and agreed about the cocktail shaker of bullshit.  We just ripped the crestron out of all of our conference rooms.  Too complicated and not reliable enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Finch

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:08:44 PM by Keith Finch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.