ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade suggestions  (Read 18774 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Upgrade suggestions
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »

A pair of Yamaha DSR112s sound really good with the JTR Orbit Shifter subs and for dance music the Yorkville LS 800/801p subs will fill the low end better than many subs of the same size. Either combo could put you under your $8k budget, maybe well under as you may find that you only need a pair of either of these subs compared to others. I agree that you don't need multiple tops unless you have a wide area to cover, especially if you have 90x60 tops, you will need a higher, clearer output though, which the DSR handles.

You can't buy them new any more unless you find leftover stock, but Yorkville USC1Ps also sound great under DSRs. I've used that combo a couple of times this year when I didn't fell like dragging out the U15Ps and have been really pleased with it even with no external processing on the tops.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »

FWIW - the 8004 is excellent, the 8003 MK1 was very ordinary and I have not heard that the 8003MK2 is a huge improvement ... I would check them out first.

Hi Peter,
The spec sheet for the 8004 makes it look like they're about -10dB @ 40Hz - does that match with your experience by any chance please?
Many thanks,
David.

Peter Morris

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »

Hi Peter,
The spec sheet for the 8004 makes it look like they're about -10dB @ 40Hz - does that match with your experience by any chance please?
Many thanks,
David.

Yes that is about right - it had usable output down to the lowest note on a bass guitar (open E  - 41 Hz) very solid from about 45Hz and up.

I suspect the 8003MK2 is better but have a look at this - http://www.rcf.it/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=251504&folderId=22491&name=DLFE-6501.pdf

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »

Yes that is about right - it had usable output down to the lowest note on a bass guitar (open E  - 41 Hz) very solid from about 45Hz and up.

I suspect the 8003MK2 is better but have a look at this - http://www.rcf.it/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=251504&folderId=22491&name=DLFE-6501.pdf

Thanks.
Yup, I'd seen that graph before - looks a lot like the classic "one-note-wonder" bandpass type response, (even though it's vented), but not having heard one, I couldn't comment on the actual sound.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »

. . .I have good pricing access to EAW, RCF, DB technologies, . . .

Recently checked out the dB Tech S30N subs at my rep's shop and was impressed. Pricing is better than RCF dual 18" boxes. Also liked the DVX D12HP tops. Also gives some flexibility if you want to used the D12's as wedges later and upgrade to line source tops or to T8-T12 line array boxes, both of which ground stack nicely on the S30N subs.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »

I did take a look at JTR and the captivator 218 in the powered option certainly caught my eye, as did the orbit shifter pro, but boy if I ever did need to transport them, ouch. Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it.

As far as moving and transporting the Orbit Shifters I was pleasantly surprised. I can fit a pair in my Odyssey minivan, they are well balanced, roll easy and the handles on the bottom make them very easy to tip into the vehicle and pull them back out. Way easier on my back than the (40lb lighter) Yorkville LS800p I also lug around - I have to lift that into the van and crouch to wheel it around.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Peter Morris

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »

Recently checked out the dB Tech S30N subs at my rep's shop and was impressed. Pricing is better than RCF dual 18" boxes. Also liked the DVX D12HP tops. Also gives some flexibility if you want to used the D12's as wedges later and upgrade to line source tops or to T8-T12 line array boxes, both of which ground stack nicely on the S30N subs.

FWIW db Tech have just add FIR filter pre-sets to the T8 & T12 ... they are sounding fantastic, much better than some of the old respected name brand boxes.  For those that have T8's & T12"s the upgrade is quite easy to do.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »

FWIW db Tech have just add FIR filter pre-sets to the T8 & T12 ... they are sounding fantastic, much better than some of the old respected name brand boxes.  For those that have T8's & T12"s the upgrade is quite easy to do.

I heard them the day after the update came out, and they indeed sounded very good. Certainly better than the front runner constant curvature boxes in their price range. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Scott Gentry

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »

I think I have narrowed things down a little more, but would still like to hear a little more from those who have actually heard and used the following. I've split it between two groupings, 4 upper end MI or 2 higher end boxes. Narrowed to the following.
4-DXS18's, best value leader with new $200 per sub rebate, or
4-EV ETX18's, little concerned about limiting issues people have expressed and not super into the preset/ menu stuff, but have heard very good reviews on sound quality., or

2 of either RCF 8004/ or 8005, DB Technologies KS10

Considered 2 JTR or Bassboss, but would have to buy without hearing, wouldn't really have any local support, and those are definitely pushing the budget.

Once again, been running 2 JBL 718XLF's, looking for a noticeable improvement in output, how's the money best spent? I've lowered the budget to about 4500 or so, I could swing the 5-5.5 for the RCF or DB, but from what I've read 4 18's are likely going to have better output than two unless spending more than I'm comfortable with. Having a hard time finding a place to hear them as well, but planning a day trip into Dallas in a week to make a purchase. Only thing I've been able to arrange to hear is the ETX18., and a possible lead on hearing the Yamaha reps DXS18 side by side with the ETX.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:49:59 PM by Scott Gentry »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »

I think I have narrowed things down a little more, but would still like to hear a little more from those who have actually heard and used the following. I've split it between two groupings, 4 upper end MI or 2 higher end boxes. Narrowed to the following.
4-DXS18's, best value leader with new $200 per sub rebate, or
4-EV ETX18's, little concerned about limiting issues people have expressed and not super into the preset/ menu stuff, but have heard very good reviews on sound quality., or

2 of either RCF 8004/ or 8005, DB Technologies KS10

Considered 2 JTR or Bassboss, but would have to buy without hearing, wouldn't really have any local support, and those are definitely pushing the budget.

Once again, been running 2 JBL 718XLF's, looking for a noticeable improvement in output, how's the money best spent? I've lowered the budget to about 4500 or so, I could swing the 5-5.5 for the RCF or DB, but from what I've read 4 18's are likely going to have better output than two unless spending more than I'm comfortable with. Having a hard time finding a place to hear them as well, but planning a day trip into Dallas in a week to make a purchase. Only thing I've been able to arrange to hear is the ETX18., and a possible lead on hearing the Yamaha reps DXS18 side by side with the ETX.
Scott, if you're keeping the JBL SRX835s, I would strongly suggest you get the matching SRX subs.  Having a matching system is very valuable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.