ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade suggestions  (Read 11563 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Upgrade suggestions
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »

Thank you for the screenshot on the AA, that helps me. I have looked at the program, but haven't hooked up the speakers to a network yet, just got cable this weekend, already bought the router.

You don't need a router or wireless access point, you can connect your laptop directly to the 828's network port.  Your laptop and the sub will default to private addresses in the 169.x.x.x range.  It will take anywhere from 30-60 seconds for your laptop to decide there is no DHCP-provided IP address and then it will roll over to the 169 addy.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »

I might have missed the suggestion, but you can also try running a short cable out of channel 1 of your 835 into channel 2.
I seem to remember somebody else doing this to get more level without running the mixer hotter.

Btw, what's your idea of the mix wiz being at your max comfortable level, do you have a pic where the meter is at?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Scott Gentry

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 07:30:19 pm »

I might have missed the suggestion, but you can also try running a short cable out of channel 1 of your 835 into channel 2.
I seem to remember somebody else doing this to get more level without running the mixer hotter.

Btw, what's your idea of the mix wiz being at your max comfortable level, do you have a pic where the meter is at?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I talked with another user today who's in another state, was referred to me by the place I usually get my stuff. He mentioned that he runs a y cable right at the sub, taking his input and splitting it to two, and plugs both into the two input channels. He's using the 828's, and says it makes a small but noticeable difference. I haven't tried that personally. He also said he tried SRX connect and AA to address gain and ended with all gain settings back to stock. For him, he's doing the y cable, taking up both input channels, and runs his master output on the box at +8. For what it's worth, he has four 828's, and four 818's that he uses for different applications and he recommended the single cab over the dual cab. He felt there's a fuller sound with the single cab.

I have no idea whether using both input channels will make a difference or not. I certainly can't explain if it should or shouldn't be done. That being said I'm happy to listen if someone has additional information about doing that.

As for my mixer, I used to run it with only an occasional yellow light popping up, with the 835's I'm currently using I'm pretty consistently hitting + 6, with an occasional +9 ( which is the 3rd yellow meter.) To me that's pushing it, but from what others have said that's still acceptable. I don't feel at all comfortable pushing any higher.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 07:45:39 pm »

He mentioned that he runs a y cable right at the sub, taking his input and splitting it to two, and plugs both into the two input channels.
This is a great time to review another current thread that covers this exact question! :)

-Ray

Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Gentry

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 11:23:26 am »

I did make the adjustments in the driverack and was able to get a hotter signal going to the 835's. However, I still had to change the input sensitivity to consumer and then roll it back to-6. From what I changed in both locations that's about 10-11 db hotter signal on the  input side compared to what I originally had running the mixer to the mains with them set at line level. They are plenty loud now, and I definitely have the output to satisfy my requirements, on the mains. The SRX subs don't have that option as everyone has stated.

Heeding your advice, I have made a decision. I vote with my dollars, and for me, and my current knowledge level, the SRX system isn't quite what I expected. I know many people have good results with them, and that's great to know, furthermore I have several other JBL products that I'm extremely happy with. However, to be considerate of my time, and everyone else, I think it's time for me to move on and go a different direction. I sincerely thank everyone who has lent their assistance, I have learned a lot, and found out there's a significant amount of knowledge that I need to better understand. Once again, Thank you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 11:23:26 am »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.