ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Large install, small budget  (Read 8990 times)

Travis Dean TenKley

Large install, small budget
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »

Working on helping a new company with a speaker setup and a very small budget.  Not looking for information on that part.
1. Will there be any delay when connecting powered speakers together via XLR?  If so, how much?
Probably close to 100'-150' in between speakers.

2. The ceiling is 50' high, with carpet and arcade games all over the room.  Is it better to have the speakers facing straight down or in the corners?  There will be only four in the room.  The room is guesstimate, 300'(W) x 200'(L) x 50'(H).  Probably larger just haven't seen the room yet.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Large install, small budget
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »

1. No
2 it depends. 
3. Your questions about 1 and 2 make me worried about your ability to help with suspending a powered speaker over people.  Are you qualified to rig and do you or your employer have the proper liability insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »

+1 for Cailen's comments.  So the room is larger than a football field and has 50' ceilings.  I'll bet the acoustics are such that the sound will be unintelligible as proposed!  They'll get what they deserve!

Travis Dean TenKley

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »

1. No
2 it depends. 
3. Your questions about 1 and 2 make me worried about your ability to help with suspending a powered speaker over people.  Are you qualified to rig and do you or your employer have the proper liability insurance?

A football field is 360 feet so no, but it was an old marina shop so it is very large.
Just an educated answer to my question would be greatly appreciated.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »

A football field is 360 feet so no, but it was an old marina shop so it is very large.
Just an educated answer to my question would be greatly appreciated.

Seriously that's not how it works here...   if you say you want to do something, most of the people who give educated answers will refrain until we are sure you will do it safely.  If I recommended a speaker position and you did it, rigged it unsafely, and it fell, a quick internet search would turn up my advice - I don't need that liability. 

While your working on the safe rigging question,  the it depends really has more to do with, what are your goals?  Arcade games are pretty loud, so are you trying to get over that?  What will be coming through the speakers, music? Paging?  What are the make and model of the speakers? The dispersion patterns matter.  I said it depends because you seem to want a simple answer to a complex question with partial data.  Not trying to not be nice, but help us help you. 

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »

Additional questions...  what are the walls made of?  Roof?  Any acoustic treatment?  All matters

Travis Dean TenKley

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »

Seriously that's not how it works here...   if you say you want to do something, most of the people who give educated answers will refrain until we are sure you will do it safely.  If I recommended a speaker position and you did it, rigged it unsafely, and it fell, a quick internet search would turn up my advice - I don't need that liability. 

While your working on the safe rigging question,  the it depends really has more to do with, what are your goals?  Arcade games are pretty loud, so are you trying to get over that?  What will be coming through the speakers, music? Paging?  What are the make and model of the speakers? The dispersion patterns matter.  I said it depends because you seem to want a simple answer to a complex question with partial data.  Not trying to not be nice, but help us help you. 

Yes, i know the drill.  Everything is already in place.
Music and paging is the audio.
I used 2 qsc k12 when i played music for them and it was plenty loud.  Just dont know about the disperssion for them is adaquete for that high of a ceiling.
I have a budget for 6 of them or something db similar.
Carpet floor, iron and metal beams everywhere.  Domed shape ceiling.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

In the abstract - as I'm still not convinced anyone is a qualified rigger ...

I would consider a center cluster on one long wall or distribute the speakers along one long wall. 

I would not do 4 corners or straight down. 

The goal should be, in a noisy environment, to get the listener to hear just one audio source rather than multiples out of phase from each other.   I would lean towards the center cluster as there is better chance the low frequencies will be constructive rather than a crap shoot depending on where you stand.

If you have budget for 6 k12s, I would examine the market and ensure that is the best option for you.  There are some other powered speakers that are generally considered better performers in the same price range.  The turbo sound iq series and the Yamaha are the top of the list in my personal opinion. 

What is your source/control?

Travis Dean TenKley

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »

In the abstract - as I'm still not convinced anyone is a qualified rigger ...

I would consider a center cluster on one long wall or distribute the speakers along one long wall. 

I would not do 4 corners or straight down. 

The goal should be, in a noisy environment, to get the listener to hear just one audio source rather than multiples out of phase from each other.   I would lean towards the center cluster as there is better chance the low frequencies will be constructive rather than a crap shoot depending on where you stand.

If you have budget for 6 k12s, I would examine the market and ensure that is the best option for you.  There are some other powered speakers that are generally considered better performers in the same price range.  The turbo sound iq series and the Yamaha are the top of the list in my personal opinion. 

What is your source/control?

The cluster is a great idea, it never crossed my mind even though ive used it in a danceclub install before.
Probably gonna just use a pv8 mixer i have sittin around and their laptop for music and they have the paging system there as well.  They Cant afford a dsp or anything.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »

The cluster is a great idea, it never crossed my mind even though ive used it in a danceclub install before.
Probably gonna just use a pv8 mixer i have sittin around and their laptop for music and they have the paging system there as well.  They Cant afford a dsp or anything.

If there is budget for 6 speakers I might consider 3 or 4 and a used DSP.

Biamp audia flex's can be had pretty cheap on eBay and can be quite powerful....   food for thought.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 23 queries.