ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX835P and Driverack Venue360 level struggles  (Read 11977 times)

Thomas Le

Re: SRX835P and Driverack Venue360 level struggles
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

"keep the Driverrack360?"..........

i had to add something... i also have srx 828p and 835p and 815p and 2 prx818's.... the srx presets on the back of the speaker are perfect...easy as pie... but the driverrack has a SubR
Harmonic generator which can really add the frosting to your PA set up. If whatever your source material is not thumpy by itself you can dial in extra bass with the Sub/Gen. especially works great on kick drums. that feature alone is worth the cost of a Driverrack. IMHO....

love this froum. and am so happy to have spent the money and bought these speakers. i am just an avid greatful dear fanboy who plays music loud

Eh I've seen the subharmonic synth destroy woofers rather than help the mix. Since OP "had" subs, the subsynth doesn't benefit in this application.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »

Eh I've seen the subharmonic synth destroy woofers rather than help the mix. Since OP "had" subs, the subsynth doesn't benefit in this application.

I still own a dbx Model 500, the "Professional Disco Boom Box".  I used it as an insert on drum group; also it has been inserted on kick drums, bass guitars and anything else that needed some <80Hz added to it, that could not be achieved with EQ.

I don't think I every destroyed a subwoofer simply because of the 500, although I'm pretty sure it contributed to at least 1 failure.

Used carefully it's another tool in the box, but a universally-applied bit of processing, eh... no.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 08:02:59 AM »

I have been using SRX 835's for two years now.  Unless you enjoy making life more complicated than necessary, connect the output of your mixer into the 835's, turn them on and forget about them.  JBL has already done the processing for you.  Spend your mental energy on the mix and you and your audience will be much happier.

P.S.  If you need more gain use the consumer setting on the JBLs.  That is the only change I have ever made.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:44:31 AM by Chuck Simon »

Thomas Le

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »

I have been using SRX 835's for two years now.  Unless you enjoy making life more complicated than necessary, connect the output of your mixer into the 835's, turn them on and forget about them.  JBL has already done the processing for you.  Spend your mental energy on the mix and you and your audience will be much happier.

P.S.  If you need more gain use the consumer setting on the JBLs.  That is the only change I have ever made.

Scott has been told this from the beginning, but looked like he gave up and eventually sold them for a pair of ETX35p's, considered a downgrade IMO.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »

My opinion of the SRX835's is that they can't get much better for the money. You can spend more and have relatively the same though. The 835's are relatively linear and they sound pretty much as their specs state. I believe the 812 is actually flatter and even more linear, but does not fair well with splaying due to the 90* coverage. The 835's horns do a pretty good job and you can splay these boxes. They said 60x40 and they are pretty much 60X40 where you expect them to be.

I was one that was initially bothered by the " lower than expected output vs input " operating range of this line. Mostly because I am not one that does not like to cook HA and or tickle red lights. No# 2. I have several visiting engineers complain that they had to push the mixer to get the SPL they wanted. I went through a series of techniques to get to my desired working standard, but finally settled on the easy and obvious fix; just turn the speakers master all the way up.

The most interesting part of what I ended up doing was the setting of the speakers limiter. I am actually running a lower threshold setting than stock, which was already set pretty modestly. The speakers limiter light does blink early and often, but I could never hear it working. So I kept turning it down till I did. I finally settled on a threshold setting of -15db with the master and input turned all the way up. It gets more than loud enough and the limiter keeps the visiting engineers in check. I have not had to do any changes to those setting in about a year and I have gotten ZERO service calls from the two venues that I have these installed in over that time!!! Long and short of it is, the SRX800 line is the biz and can do everything you ask of them.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »

My opinion of the SRX835's is that they can't get much better for the money. You can spend more and have relatively the same though. The 835's are relatively linear and they sound pretty much as their specs state. I believe the 812 is actually flatter and even more linear, but does not fair well with splaying due to the 90* coverage. The 835's horns do a pretty good job and you can splay these boxes. They said 60x40 and they are pretty much 60X40 where you expect them to be.

I was one that was initially bothered by the " lower than expected output vs input " operating range of this line. Mostly because I am not one that does not like to cook HA and or tickle red lights. No# 2. I have several visiting engineers complain that they had to push the mixer to get the SPL they wanted. I went through a series of techniques to get to my desired working standard, but finally settled on the easy and obvious fix; just turn the speakers master all the way up.

The most interesting part of what I ended up doing was the setting of the speakers limiter. I am actually running a lower threshold setting than stock, which was already set pretty modestly. The speakers limiter light does blink early and often, but I could never hear it working. So I kept turning it down till I did. I finally settled on a threshold setting of -15db with the master and input turned all the way up. It gets more than loud enough and the limiter keeps the visiting engineers in check. I have not had to do any changes to those setting in about a year and I have gotten ZERO service calls from the two venues that I have these installed in over that time!!! Long and short of it is, the SRX800 line is the biz and can do everything you ask of them.

The OP bailed on this a couple months ago because our simple and pragmatic approach didn't fit his world view of where his console's faders & knobs should be physically set and which console LEDs flashed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ben Polius

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »

Hi.

I recieved my srx800 system today - 2xsrx835 and 4x srx818. I like many people was initially foxed by the seemly low output, which has been amply and correctly explained in this thread. It’s just a question of gain structure.

From OP first posts I get the feeling that like many of us in our early years, he was mesmerised by the DBX wizard/rta functionality which again is fairly redundant on speakers as flat as these. Not to mention the fact that you can’t optimise a system using RTA, and I very much doubt dbx has mastered automated calculations based on transfer function yet....  correct me if I’m wrong.

On first listen these boxes are outstanding but I’ll go into that on some more relevant threads, and I can not wait to run them up properly tomorrow now I’ve been informed about the input sensitivity.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »

I am certain you will be very pleased with your system once you get it setup properly.  Might I suggest that you start a new thread detailing your experiences instead of posting in a older thread?  It will probably get more traffic and appreciation that way.

Either way, welcome and good luck with the new gear.  I have used the SRX800 series recently and was very pleased.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.