ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828SP  (Read 20230 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: JBL SRX828SP
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »

When I did this I measured an increase in volume of 3db. That was with the output volume all the way up.
The volume control has nothing to do with the actual output capability.

You could turn it almost all the way down, and the cabinet would still be able to deliver full SPL performance.

The volume control is NOT a wattage control, but simply a sensitivity control.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 03:42:29 AM »

The volume control has nothing to do with the actual output capability.

You could turn it almost all the way down, and the cabinet would still be able to deliver full SPL performance.

The volume control is NOT a wattage control, but simply a sensitivity control.

You're both saying the same thing.

Connect both inputs together (with a Y-split or using the loopthrough), and the signal going into the sub has increased by 6dB. So long as you're not touching the limiters, there will be a 6dB gain in output.
The box will still limit at the same time, and with this method you're 6dB closer to the limiters.

I've read about users struggling to get enough level out of these boxes, though, and having to go into the DSP to increase input gains.
For the sake of a patch cable, this gets you +6dB sensitivity without doing anything scary. I'd be hesitant to go into the DSP, and I'm pretty confident with these things.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »

You're both saying the same thing.

Connect both inputs together (with a Y-split or using the loopthrough), and the signal going into the sub has increased by 6dB. So long as you're not touching the limiters, there will be a 6dB gain in output.
The box will still limit at the same time, and with this method you're 6dB closer to the limiters.

I've read about users struggling to get enough level out of these boxes, though, and having to go into the DSP to increase input gains.
For the sake of a patch cable, this gets you +6dB sensitivity without doing anything scary. I'd be hesitant to go into the DSP, and I'm pretty confident with these things.

Chris

This is a recurrent theme. What's up will all these messages spooking new users?

There are several places you can add make up gain but surely it's not more complicated that the input strip on an x32

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »

When I first got my SRX828p I noticed I had to push the gain up on the speaker input to get the same volume as my other comparable subs just like everyone else.
However, although I considered using some of the creative 'fixes' posted here, I chose not to do anything other than leave the DSP settings as they are on the sub, make some subtle changes to my gain structure overall and I can honestly say I have had fantastic results with levels that are quite impressive from this sub. Same with my SRX818p's also.
I am probably too conservative but I worry that using these 'compression make up gain' and 'Y cable ' methods will push the cabs beyond what they were designed to do so I stay safe myself. If I didn't have enough SPL keeping things the way I do, I'd just buy something that met my needs without any weird and wonderful tricks.
I am not in any way passing judgement on anyone here who is running their system using these methods - I just feel safer avoiding them myself.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »

I am probably too conservative but I worry that using these 'compression make up gain' and 'Y cable ' methods will push the cabs beyond what they were designed to do so I stay safe myself.
It doesn't matter where the extra gain comes from (simply turning up a level someplace in the system or Ying the inputs), the cabinet WILL NOT get any louder (max SPL) or you will not be pushing it anyway vs another.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »

It doesn't matter where the extra gain comes from (simply turning up a level someplace in the system or Ying the inputs), the cabinet WILL NOT get any louder (max SPL) or you will not be pushing it anyway vs another.

So no need to do anything else than plug in and set gain structure - just like I am doing.
However,  others have said they get more SPL by using these other methods.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »

So no need to do anything else than plug in and set gain structure - just like I am doing.
However,  others have said they get more SPL by using these other methods.

Yeah, they THINK that because they hear the sub is now louder than it was, with the same input signal.  What they don't realize is they've essentially just turned it up and have removed that 6dB for the inventory of available output.

Your approach is the correct one, Debbie, so don't let the pseud-physics folks sway your ways.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »

Yeah, they THINK that because they hear the sub is now louder than it was, with the same input signal.  What they don't realize is they've essentially just turned it up and have removed that 6dB for the inventory of available output.

Your approach is the correct one, Debbie, so don't let the pseud-physics folks sway your ways.

:D

Steve Garris

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »

I moved away from the Y cable and finally found what I think is a good balance between my tops & sub's. My point was that I measured 3db of added output with the Y cable - not 6 db. I too stayed out of the dsp, and get great results with these portable speakers.

What if you are to the point where you're clipping the output of your mixer? I run my channel inputs pretty hot, and have has the main output in the red on several occasions.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:33:25 AM »

What if you are to the point where you're clipping the output of your mixer? I run my channel inputs pretty hot, and have has the main output in the red on several occasions.
I believe that is called "not enough rig for the gig" ™.  No reason to be clipping any gain stage...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:33:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.