ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF L18P300 on EV ELX118p  (Read 10643 times)

Pedro Marques

Re: RCF L18P300 on EV ELX118p
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »

Hi Pedro,

If your powered sub's limiter light is blinking at 1/2 volume, a more powerful speaker will not help. The limiter indicates the amplifier is clipping and limiting its output.

I suspect you are playing the speaker louder than it is able to go, or your incoming signal gain structure is incorrect.

Regardless, the original EV driver is an EV F 01U 174 472. I was unable to find much technical data for the speaker (hole spacing, basket diameter/depth, etc). Full Compass does sell a replacement driver: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/192701-Electro-Voice-F01U174472

But, as I mentioned here, I don't believe the driver is the problem. You likely need a more powerful subwoofer, more subwoofers, or you need to fix the structure of your signal to help eliminate the limiting and clipping.

What I want to ask is if a more powerful speaker will give more headroom to the amplifier!?

Pedro Marques

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »

Hi Pedro,

If your powered sub's limiter light is blinking at 1/2 volume, a more powerful speaker will not help. The limiter indicates the amplifier is clipping and limiting its output.

I suspect you are playing the speaker louder than it is able to go, or your incoming signal gain structure is incorrect.

Regardless, the original EV driver is an EV F 01U 174 472. I was unable to find much technical data for the speaker (hole spacing, basket diameter/depth, etc). Full Compass does sell a replacement driver: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/192701-Electro-Voice-F01U174472

But, as I mentioned here, I don't believe the driver is the problem. You likely need a more powerful subwoofer, more subwoofers, or you need to fix the structure of your signal to help eliminate the limiting and clipping.

What I want to ask is if a more powerful speaker will give more headroom for the amp.

And yes I need a more powerfuld subwoofer.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »

What I want to ask is if a more powerful speaker will give more headroom for the amp.

No. It will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »

Mark - I respectfully disagree with you.  Mollycoddling and doing someone else's work for them does not help increase knowledge or develop useful professional skills.

Leading someone down the path to learning how you select a driver for a cabinet, along with the correct application assists in professional development.

I did however note that this may be an ESOL issue and simply an inability on behalf of the OP to communicate the request.

Hi Scott, thanks for the stand-up comments.  I agree with your points about what ultimately helps us develop.
My years have simply led me to believe that putting the human connect side, ahead of the developing knowledge and professional skills side, most often proves to work best for achieving all goals. 
So I guess that's what i was really thanking Bill for...more so than for the research he is doing ...

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »

Pedro, I am sorry to say that EV was not able to send me a spec sheet on this speaker.  I am sure you can put the RCF in the cabinet, but it's not going to get you any additional power.  It would seem to me that you might want to review your gain structure to insure that you aren't clipping the power amp to early.

Sorry.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Pedro Marques

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »

Pedro, I am sorry to say that EV was not able to send me a spec sheet on this speaker.  I am sure you can put the RCF in the cabinet, but it's not going to get you any additional power.  It would seem to me that you might want to review your gain structure to insure that you aren't clipping the power amp to early.

Sorry.

Bill

Tank you Bill, tanks for your time and efford.

Dustin Walker

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »

Hi Pedro,

Others are correct about the fact that by changing your driver you won't keep the limit light from coming on. The only gain that could be made would be if the "RCF" woofer would have a higher sensitivity rating than the original. This would possibly give you more output, which I assume your trying to achieve being these are not very powerful subs.

There are many more factors than "sensitivity" to keep in mind though. The EV cabinet could possibly allow the "RCF" to overextend it's xmax and eventually destroy itself. If the RCF driver is rated to handle way more power that what the amp can put out, it (RCF) may be just fine due to that fact that your only giving it 700w RMS / 1400w MAX. So your going to have to do your homework to see if it would give the increase your looking for.

You need to find a "cabinet calculator" (which can be found online) and fill in the cabinet specs as well as the RCF's specs to see what the outcome would be. I would assume you might be able to contact EV to see if they could give you a spec sheet on the factory woofer and cab. I wouldn't expect much from them, but it's worth a try.

This is a lot of info to take in, but maybe others could explain it better than I. I hope this helps you find some resolve to your problem.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »

Hi Pedro,

Others are correct about the fact that by changing your driver you won't keep the limit light from coming on. The only gain that could be made would be if the "RCF" woofer would have a higher sensitivity rating than the original. This would possibly give you more output, which I assume your trying to achieve being these are not very powerful subs.

There is a lot more than a "simple sensitivity rating" that tells how loud a particular loudspeaker driver is.

Unless the ratings were done the same way (this can easily vary by several dB or more) you cannot compare the "simple numbers".

You MUST look at the measured response-and assume it was measured the same way.  This-again-is not always the case-ESPECIALLY in HF devices.

So lets "assume the numbers are correct and measured the same way", will the driver with the higher sensitivity get louder?

Maybe-but at what freq?  Some freq may be louder-and others may be quieter.

Are the "quieter freq" more important to the user?  Hard to say.

This is yet another example of how "simple numbers/specs" can get you into a lot of trouble by making assumptions.

You need real data to make useful comparisons.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »

Hello every one,

I am new at this forum and I'm here to ask you guys if you think that if I put this speaker "RCF L18P300" on this subs "EV ELX118p" will work fine?

Have any one tried something like this?

Tank you guys

PM

This simplest answer is this.  EV designed the ELX118p as a system, consisting of the cabinet, driver, and amplifier.  Replacing or altering any one of the 3 will result in an unpredictable change that probably will not be an improvement.

The reason the limit light is flashing is because you are are driving it with either a signal that is too high, or you are boosting the bass frequencies too much (probably by turning up the LF EQ in your mixer).

-Dennis
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:29:10 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 25 queries.