ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?  (Read 5586 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »

OK, so there is no official "production company" here. It's just a multi-act gig arranged by an individual from one of the acts, and the other acts are his friends.

He personally rented the venue, and has a contract from them which does not say *anything* about an insurance requirement.

I think they're only asking for it now because I (as co-sound-tech-provider) was naive and paranoid and suggested to the individual that he ask if the venue needed it... :(

The three out of the four acts that I've asked about this aspect of it say that they do not have their own insurance.

Naively, if the contract doesn't say it, then presumably we're not obliged to provide it, and certainly not obliged to list four separate venue-related LLCs as additional insured.

Also presumably, given that the contract was mutually agreed, they can't now be dicks and cancel the gig if we don't. OK, so of course they could, but would they? It's not some fly-by-night shack. It's the lounge of a well-respected hotel that's part of a fairly big hotel group.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't still HAVE the insurance anyway, for our own peace of mind.

Ugh.

No, they're asking for it to discourage the use of outside providers. 

Hotels have in-house AV they'd rather use and up-charge the rental.  It's "revenue enhancement".

It's the usual game. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Simon Eves

• Stapleton Theatre Company
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 07:07:23 pm »

No, they're asking for it to discourage the use of outside providers. Hotels have in-house AV they'd rather use and up-charge the rental.  It's "revenue enhancement". It's the usual game.

I get that, but in this case they don't, and they didn't quibble about us bringing in our own gear, and they didn't put anything about either that or the insurance requirement in the contract, which was agreed and signed weeks ago (according the individual involved... I only signed up to help a few days ago).

We have pushed back on their post-contract vague-email demand, so we'll see what they conclude. If we have to get a policy anyway, so be it, but I'm not going to do the venue any favors.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 08:35:34 pm »

I get that, but in this case they don't, and they didn't quibble about us bringing in our own gear, and they didn't put anything about either that or the insurance requirement in the contract, which was agreed and signed weeks ago (according the individual involved... I only signed up to help a few days ago).

We have pushed back on their post-contract vague-email demand, so we'll see what they conclude. If we have to get a policy anyway, so be it, but I'm not going to do the venue any favors.

Again, typical event sales office behavior.

IME, they're just smiling faces:

https://youtu.be/s0nXHhLoKAM
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:47:14 pm by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:01:34 pm »

So the hotel got back to us, and said that they do require a "COI" (which I assume stands for Certificate of Insurance) for "all the days (my) gear will be there, as well as a COI for each band/dj that will be coming in."

They also asked that four of the hotel group's hierarchy of LLCs be listed as additional insured.

Is this reasonable? I'm telling myself that this is something they would have asked for anyway, and not just because I asked (because I'm paranoid)... but now I'm worried that I've triggered everyone to have to pay money for insurance that will blow a hole in their takings for the gig...

Eventhelper will print whatever certificates of insurance you need at no additional cost.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:29 pm »

Again, typical event sales office behavior.

IME, they're just smiling faces:

https://youtu.be/s0nXHhLoKAM

I bet you have some level issues with them too.

Your best bet is to all chip in and buy the insurance for one day.  They can't complain about that.

Have you checked to make sure they are going to turn the power on?  God forbid it's a PSAV property.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Simon Eves

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:03 pm »

Insurance obtained from EventHelper. Hotel didn't even ask for the paperwork in the end. Probably money down the drain, but hey, the weekend went great and nobody got their skull crushed by a falling K12.

We live and learn. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:01 pm »

Insurance obtained from EventHelper. Hotel didn't even ask for the paperwork in the end. Probably money down the drain, but hey, the weekend went great and nobody got their skull crushed by a falling K12.

We live and learn. Thanks, everyone, for your help.
Simon, STOP that train of thought RIGHT NOW.
You did the right thing.
Some can go for years, or decades without a claim.
>BUT<
One claim can put you in the poorhouse for years.
Isn't your family, business, and yourself worth a bit of protection against the unforeseeable?
Heck, if we could predict when and where something "bad" were to happen, we could step in and do something about it.
My Crystal Ball isn't so clear about the future.
That's what insurance is for.
Even if no one actually asks for it, bet your ass you're first in the list for a payout.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Simon Eves

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:33 pm »

Simon, STOP that train of thought RIGHT NOW. You did the right thing.

I know. I'm not sorry I got it. I'm just frustrated by the lack of policy from the venue that resulted in us having to scramble for it literally hours before move-in, and then them not being that bothered once we actually arrived. All of us on the "client" side were naive about it, having mostly never done this sort of thing before, certainly not in terms of cold-renting a location and producing an event ourselves, as opposed to being invited to perform at an event organized by somebody else, or by the venue itself (in which case, one assumes it's more likely that one would be covered under the venue's own insurance... certainly everyone else I polled who is a band/DJ/performer said that's what they've been told in the past, and none of them had their own insurance). Like you said, it's all a grey area, but somebody's head is going to be on the block if sh*t happens. Rest assured that once my two friends and I get our ducks in a row and form our business entity properly, we *will* be getting our own blanket liability insurance to at least cover our own a**es.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:33 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.