ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?  (Read 8723 times)

Simon Eves

• Stapleton Theatre Company
Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?
« on: July 29, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »

Two friends and I have a collection of sound gear and we have shared sound design and live sound work for community theater productions for many years. All of the companies we have worked for have had their own insurance for liability and for our gear that we rent to them.

We have been asked to do sound for a three-night event next weekend in the lounge of a downtown San Francisco hotel comprising of a small local band, a DJ, and two musical comedy/improv sessions. The event has been arranged, and is being produced, by an individual from one of the comedy groups.

I am concerned that we have no insurance cover for our gear or liability for anything we may cause during the event. Also, we are three individuals who do not yet have a business identity. We are in the process of forming this, due to increase in demand for our work, it hasn't happened yet.

Can anyone please recommend a vendor of short term liability and property insurance that we might take out personally for this one weekend?

Thanks in advance...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »

Call Fat Tony.

555-555-1212
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »

Two friends and I have a collection of sound gear and we have shared sound design and live sound work for community theater productions for many years. All of the companies we have worked for have had their own insurance for liability and for our gear that we rent to them.

We have been asked to do sound for a three-night event next weekend in the lounge of a downtown San Francisco hotel comprising of a small local band, a DJ, and two musical comedy/improv sessions. The event has been arranged, and is being produced, by an individual from one of the comedy groups.

I am concerned that we have no insurance cover for our gear or liability for anything we may cause during the event. Also, we are three individuals who do not yet have a business identity. We are in the process of forming this, due to increase in demand for our work, it hasn't happened yet.

Can anyone please recommend a vendor of short term liability and property insurance that we might take out personally for this one weekend?

Thanks in advance...

No commercial insurance provider will touch this.

Your best bet is pick an individual in the group that is the oldest homeowner with a good claim and credit history and have them contact their personal insurance provider.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Simon Eves

• Stapleton Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »

No commercial insurance provider will touch this.

That's what I was afraid of.

Your best bet is pick an individual in the group that is the oldest homeowner with a good claim and credit history and have them contact their personal insurance provider.

Right. That would be me. Damn it...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »

That's what I was afraid of.

Right. That would be me. Damn it...

Yeah I had that moment about 5 years ago when one of the "roadies" slipped on an ice covered trailer ramp damaging a speaker.  I was far more concerned about damage to him.  My wife in her ever present state of reality (I have gaps) quipped "are we the only people with anything to lose here"?

Single event insurance is available to entities with a history of successful execution. 

Asking the insurance company to only cover the period of highest peril is not very appealing.

The good news is that once you form your entity coverage is very reasonable on an annual basis.

Good luck.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »

How far out from the event are you?  Do you have enough time to get an LLC together and obtain insurance?

I'd also be concerned that if you've been freelancing (1099 not w2 work) that you should already have liability insurance.  As a 1099 freelance guy I've got my own LLC and carry my own liability insurance and am used to providing coverage certificates to the production companies I work with.  Even though they have full insurance for the event it's important that I make sure my ass is independently covered too.

James Feenstra

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »

In Canada there's a wicked site that's set up for exactly this type of thing;
Gear policy.ca

Not sure if there's an equiviant us version.

Realistically the event promoter should be providing a certificate of insurance to you as well stating that the event is insured/etc
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »

www.eventhelper.com

The drop-down menu of event types includes the category "sound tech vendor for event".
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »

Hahahahahaaaaa  Celtic music came back at $139, folk music at $179.  Hip hop and Punk rock well...

www.eventhelper.com

The drop-down menu of event types includes the category "sound tech vendor for event".

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »

Is it just me... or when you select the event type on the first page, and location, and click "next," it defaults back to "wedding" and "California" ?!?

-r
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.