ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shore Power?  (Read 8741 times)

Bill McKelvey

Re: Shore Power?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »

If you're absolutely sure of that. Never underestimate an artist who is determined to get their bus as close to the building as possible and the lengths they'll go to in order to accomplish that.
There are eight parking spots behind the theater. To park the bus all the cars must move so the bus can pull across all of the spots. If you try to park two busses side by side it blocks the road and makes the local police unhappy.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

There are eight parking spots behind the theater. To park the bus all the cars must move so the bus can pull across all of the spots. If you try to park two busses side by side it blocks the road and makes the local police unhappy.

What if the act is a favorite of the local police/fire marshal (nod nod wink wink)?

What if they drive off the road and park on the sidewalk/flowerbeds?

What if they have a permit to block the road? How many buses can be parked end-to-end along the road?

Consider all contingencies.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:40:38 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bill McKelvey

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »

What if the act is a favorite of the local police/fire marshal (nod nod wink wink)?
Free tickets for police/Fire, tickets for improper parking to bus.

What if they drive off the road and park on the sidewalk/flowerbeds?
Improper parking ticket

What if they have a permit to block the road?
No gonna happen.

How many buses can be parked end-to-end along the road?
Maybe 14 or 15

Consider all contingencies.
I'm sure they are thing about it.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »

If you're absolutely sure of that. Never underestimate an artist who is determined to get their bus as close to the building as possible and the lengths they'll go to in order to accomplish that.

We just did a show where the artist had to have his own private "warm up" trailer for his voice in addition to the tour bus. The warm up trailer needed its own 30-amp shore power outlet for the air conditioner and vanity lights. How come I don't get a warm up trailer or chill out trailer or even a pop up tent?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »

We just did a show where the artist had to have his own private "warm up" trailer for his voice in addition to the tour bus. The warm up trailer needed its own 30-amp shore power outlet for the air conditioner and vanity lights. How come I don't get a warm up trailer or chill out trailer or even a pop up tent?

Because you're not an Artiste.

I carry my own, personal popup tent now.  After watching another company owner take an overnight stay in hospital from heat exhaustion from being in direct sun on a relatively moderate day (high 80's F.), Homey don't play dat.  No place for me to get out of the sun?  I brought my own... and if I can't set it up I'll pack my toys and be off-site in 30 minutes.  I'm too damn old to die for some else's good time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:31:56 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »

I carry my own, personal popup tent now. 

Yeah, I bring my own 10 x 10 popup tent and a lounge chair as well. Plus we take a 6 ft production table with a battery brick for my iPad, iPhone, sunblock, etc... I'm also thinking about getting one of those battery powered misting fans that sits in a 5 gallon bucket of ice water.

I'm getting too soft for this...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »

Yeah, I bring my own 10 x 10 popup tent and a lounge chair as well. Plus we take a 6 ft production table with a battery brick for my iPad, iPhone, sunblock, etc... I'm also thinking about getting one of those battery powered misting fans that sits in a 5 gallon bucket of ice water.

I'm getting too soft for this...

You're not getting too soft, you're getting smarter, Professor.

A little rant:  When I started in live production over 35 years ago the almost last thing I thought about was health - my own or my crew.  We were young and invincible.  Then a few years later it turned out my co-manager developed adult onset diabetes (type II?)  My mindset began to change.

Now I devote a lot of time and attention to keeping my crews healthy - food, shelter, hydration.  I consider those to be important things an employer or supervisor does, and in our industry it's not like I can call a temp labor service and replace a monitor mixing person, moving light programmer or stage carpenter if someone falls out due to environmental or work conditions.

In our industry there is still this gung-ho mentality that is admirable in many respects, but when it compromises the health and safety of the guys and gals doing the work, it has to be dialed back a few notches so we can each go home without a trip to the EMTs or hospital.

The incident I mentioned above happened this past weekend.  We were supplying a wedge monitor rig for a festival where the primary production company needed a specific product so my day was relatively easy - or at least it started that way.  When the Guy In Charge took his heat dive before 2pm, everything changed and suddenly I'm helping out with logistical issues that weren't part of my gig, wiring and patching stuff because the guy who was doing that had to move up the organizational chart and replace his boss.  Glad to help out and keep the co-headline ME happy.

Keeping people healthy and working is much better than replacing people because the affected person was just loaded into an ambulance... just sayin'.  So no, telling me I can't set up shade for me or my people will get me, the crew and gear off site so fast you won't see the dust trail.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »

You're not getting too soft, you're getting smarter, Professor.

I'm putting one of these on my want-it list. You can't do your best work at a gig if you're suffering from the heat.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »

I think the topic of crew comfort and (non-power) safety is an important one, but it really doesn't belong on the AC Power & Grounding forum. It could cover topics like misting fans, pop up tents, hydration, first aid kits, battery bricks for cell phone charging, etc.

Which forum should it go on?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »

I think the topic of crew comfort and (non-power) safety is an important one, but it really doesn't belong on the AC Power & Grounding forum. It could cover topics like misting fans, pop up tents, hydration, first aid kits, battery bricks for cell phone charging, etc.

Which forum should it go on?

Safey has no dedicated place here and IMNSO I think that's the right approach.  Why?  Because safety is (or should be) an integral part of ALL production tasks.  There are few industries where potential harm can come from as many non-obvious places as in event production or theatre.  Industrial safety awareness has greatly improved over the years and in most industrial settings the safety is getting baked into the design of equipment (like proper ESG bonding - as consumers we don't usually think about it unless it fails - see phone charger electrocution thread) so workers are often unaware of the efforts before they even see the machine.

While I understand your desire to moderate discussions to keep them on track with the original topic, I think it's important to hammer away at the safety aspects of what we do, especially since these things happen to US, as individuals, as well as our crews and the crews of other folks involved in production.

"tis a puzzlement" - King of Siam
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:25:26 PM by Tim McCulloch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.