ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: vocal PA for small spaces  (Read 9815 times)

Adebayo Sulaiman

vocal PA for small spaces
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:44:45 AM »

I知 in the process of determining what I want in a portable PA for use in small spaces with an audience area around 900 square feet indoors or out. Our band is three to four people and when we play these size spaces, the instruments are either acoustic or have their own amplifier. Thus far we have been playing them instrumental and want to add vocals. We need reinforcement for the vocals so they can accompany a drum set and small combo amps. The PA will be used exclusively for the microphones of one or two vocalists. It will not grow in the future. We hire a production company for anything larger.

A speaker with good pattern control is a benefit. Narrower dispersion will help limit reflections in indoor spaces and increase gain before feedback, but our use is essentially near-field and wider dispersion may be fine if they are well controlled. Maybe you can tell me what you think will work better.

Here are some of the options I知 considering now. I知 also open to your ideas. I知 interested to know what reason makes one or another compelling for my use.

Meyer UPJ-1P for house and floor
Danley SM100 for house, one SM100M on the floor
Danley SM60F for house, one SM100M for floor
KV2 EX10 for house and floor
RCFTT-08A for house and TT25-SMA for floor
NEXO PS10 R2 for house and floor with amps and system controllers
L'Acoustics 108P for house and floor
Fulcrum FA28AC for house and floor

We are working musicians. I am not looking for the pinnacle of sonic quality for a gentleman痴 hobby.  Our music is profitable and we want to add vocals to these small venues at a high level of quality.  I appreciate the advice that will be pertinent to a fellow professional.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:49:10 AM by Adebayo Sulaiman »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: vocal PA for small spaces
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:26 AM »

Based on your current choices, we can get a gist of your budget, but is there a maximum amount that you are able/willing to spend on this upgrade?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »

House and floor?  Clarify...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

House and floor?  Clarify...

I think they mean FOH and monitoring.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »

Have you listened to some of the 'Pro-sumer' boxes from QSC, Yamaha and EV ?  For what you describe, starting with good mic's and a good mixer, QSC K10's would be worth a listen in my book.  They are 105 degree boxes which in wide and shallow spaces can be an advantage.  The also have a 7.5 degree tilt down feature.  In reflective spaces, put them up high, toe them in and use the tilt down. 

I have done many blue grass, gypsy jazz and folkie shows with those.  You could put 2 up and 2 down for the price of one of the boxes you mentioned...

I see one acoustic act roll through my area that uses the Meyer box. Awesome players.  Using sm-58's and basic DI's.  Compact mixer of some type...  I have no idea what those Meyer's can actually sound like as the quality of the input to them is weak at best.  Were they using step up mic's and di's and a decent board I would have a much clearer idea...

Point is that the speaker is only as good as the input will let it be andso it is only 1 piece of the puzzle...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »

Have you listened to some of the 'Pro-sumer' boxes from QSC, Yamaha and EV ? 

For what you describe, like as the quality of the input to them is weak at best.  Were they using step up mic's and di's and a decent board I would have a much clearer idea...
Point is that the speaker is only as good as the input will let it be and so it is only 1 piece of the puzzle...

+1
I was thinking DSR112 or DXR12 would easily cover that are for FOH.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »

Have you listened to some of the 'Pro-sumer' boxes from QSC, Yamaha and EV ?  For what you describe, starting with good mic's and a good mixer, QSC K10's would be worth a listen in my book.  They are 105 degree boxes which in wide and shallow spaces can be an advantage.  The also have a 7.5 degree tilt down feature.  In reflective spaces, put them up high, toe them in and use the tilt down. 

I'm pretty sure the K10 is 90 degrees.

I agree the built in tilt down is a great feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adebayo Sulaiman

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »

Based on your current choices, we can get a gist of your budget, but is there a maximum amount that you are able/willing to spend on this upgrade?

-Ray

There is no maximum, but my purpose is not to daydream about the pinnacle of sonic quality at any cost. This is this not a hobby. I consider the work important to do right and I知 willing to make the commitment to what that takes because I know doing it right will be profitable.

Have you listened to some of the 'Pro-sumer' boxes from QSC, Yamaha and EV ? ...You could put 2 up and 2 down for the price of one of the boxes you mentioned...

Do they have good pattern control? Honestly I do not know how much better off I would be with a professional speaker of a portable size, but I am not trying to save a few bucks.  I know after a few performances the difference in cost will be meaningless. A shortfall in performance will set us back a lot farther than a little money lost.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

I'll probably get shot for recommending this, but the BOSE sticks work pretty well in small spaces like that, if you're not looking for ear bleed volumes.
Brian Jojade

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »

wait...Bose.......what?
boomy beamy= not good
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:04:39 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

ProSoundWeb Community

ツォ Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:16 PM ツサ

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.