ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: White Space Devices in Pittsburgh and Santa Clara  (Read 5422 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
White Space Devices in Pittsburgh and Santa Clara
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »

Here's a heads-up about an experimental license that was recently granted.  If you have gigs coming up in Pittsburgh or Santa Clara, you might want to bring a spectrum analyzer.

PUBLIC NOTICE
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
455 12TH STREET, S.W.
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20554
News media information 202/418-0500     
Released:
July 26, 2017
Report No. 492               
EXPERIMENTAL ACTIONS             
The Commission, by its Office of Engineering and Technology, Experimental Licensing Branch, granted the
following experimental applications during the period from
5/1/17 to 5/31/17:

<EXCERPT>

CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY    WI2XXL     0226-EX-CN-2017
New experimental to operate in 174.00 - 698.00 MHz to test TV White Spaces.
Fixed & Mobile:   Carnegie Mellon University Main Campus & Vicinity, Pittsburg (Allegheney),
PA; Mountain View (Santa Clara), CA

For details about the experiments, see:
https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=189789&x=.
https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=190784&x=.

Part 74 Licensees, this is your contact to shut them down if they step on your registered freqs:
"CMU's stop buzzer point of contact for this application is: Craig Hesling, Tel. 843-422-5405 - email - [email protected]"
This is publicly available information published by the FCC here: https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=191992&x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:14:10 AM by Jason Glass »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: White Space Devices in Pittsburgh and Santa Clara
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »

Quick aside question:  why is a university licensing white space systems?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Buckley

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »

What they say:  CMU proposes to conduct research to demonstrate the potential of wireless “white spaces” networks in order to investigate and develop improved wireless applications and services

What they mean:  They're investigating a whole new way to make white spaces unusable for wireless mics.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »

BTW, although the info is fairly clear and concise by FCC standards, here are some details that hopefully don't slip past us:

Although they explain that operation will be on and around campus, they requested and got authorization for 20km radii.

They are licensed to operate 200 non type certified portable devices and 20 fixed devices within those radii, and the fixed devices TX in excess of 2.4W.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »

Universties utilizing White Space is hardly groundbreaking.

The University of West Virginia was a pilot program for campus network backhaul over White Space technology back in July 2013 through an organization/initiative called Air.U. But WVU White Space usage in Morgantown, WV is something very different than CMU usage in Pittsburg, PA.

http://wvutoday-archive.wvu.edu/n/2013/07/09/nation-s-first-campus-super-wi-fi-network-launches-at-west-virginia-university.html
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/white-space-broadband-10-communities-doing-big-projects/
http://www.airu.net

Lisa Woodward

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »

Part 74 Licensees, this is your contact to shut them down if they step on your registered freqs:
"CMU's stop buzzer point of contact for this application is: Craig Hesling, Tel. 843-422-5405 - email - [email protected]"
This is publicly available information published by the FCC here: https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=191992&x

I'm curious how this works and I'm hoping to get a little education about whitespace devices in urban areas. The Santa Clara zipcode 94043 and a quick search on Spectrum Bridge lists the following information:
TV     Freq         Availability
24   530-536   Reserved   **
26   542-548   Reserved   **
5   76-82   Available   **
11   198-204   Available   **
20   506-512   Available   **
23   524-530   Available   **
22   518-524   White Space   **

What kind of wattage can a white space device transmit at?

I happen to have a part 74 license and have a protected entity registered about 10 miles from that location. Is there something else I should be aware of? I've never encountered a whitespace device in the wild...

Also is there a way I can see all protected entity registrations in a given area?

Dan Currie

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »

Lisa,
  There are fixed and portable white space devices.  Fixed ERP is up to 4 watts on channels 2-51.  The fixed devices cannot operate next to an active TV channel.  Portable devices use channels 21-51.  Their erp is 100mw, 40mw if operating next to an active TV channel.  From what I understand they can access the FCC database (I'm not sure how often) and 'should' be able to sense wireless microphones. 

I'm curious how this works and I'm hoping to get a little education about whitespace devices in urban areas. The Santa Clara zipcode 94043 and a quick search on Spectrum Bridge lists the following information:
TV     Freq         Availability
24   530-536   Reserved   **
26   542-548   Reserved   **
5   76-82   Available   **
11   198-204   Available   **
20   506-512   Available   **
23   524-530   Available   **
22   518-524   White Space   **

What kind of wattage can a white space device transmit at?

I happen to have a part 74 license and have a protected entity registered about 10 miles from that location. Is there something else I should be aware of? I've never encountered a whitespace device in the wild...

Also is there a way I can see all protected entity registrations in a given area?

Lisa Woodward

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »

Lisa,
  There are fixed and portable white space devices.  Fixed ERP is up to 4 watts on channels 2-51.  The fixed devices cannot operate next to an active TV channel.  Portable devices use channels 21-51.  Their erp is 100mw, 40mw if operating next to an active TV channel.  From what I understand they can access the FCC database (I'm not sure how often) and 'should' be able to sense wireless microphones.

Thanks Dan for the information. I'm not too concerned about anything under a watt but 4 watts could be trouble. What constitutes "next to an active TV channel"? When I do an FCC TV query for that location with a radius of 100 kilometers, there are active TV stations next to (or on) all the white space TV channels.

Here's a link to my query results:

LINK
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:36:43 PM by Mac Kerr »

Dan Currie

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 11:46:44 PM »

The closest scan I have to Santa Clara is San Jose.  It shows channels 20->26 are not occupied.  Ch 16 and 17 are public safety which means ch 14 could be used by a white space device.  I would have to look into how many db above the noise floor is considered active.  Maybe Henry or Jason will chime in. 

Does someone have a spectral signature of a white space device they can post?  I assume they use either 8VSB or QAM modulation.       

Thanks Dan for the information. I'm not too concerned about anything under a watt but 4 watts could be trouble. What constitutes "next to an active TV channel"? When I do an FCC TV query for that location with a radius of 100 kilometers, there are active TV stations next to (or on) all the white space TV channels.

Here's a link to my query results:

LINK

Lisa Woodward

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

The closest scan I have to Santa Clara is San Jose.     

I had assumed that white space devices (TVBD's), including the one's applied for above, had to access the database to determine the TV channel whitespace it could operate in, not local scans. Is this not the case?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.