ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: White Space Devices in Pittsburgh and Santa Clara  (Read 5461 times)

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: White Space Devices in Pittsburgh and Santa Clara
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »

I had assumed that white space devices (TVBD's), including the one's applied for above, had to access the database to determine the TV channel whitespace it could operate in, not local scans. Is this not the case?

No. These WSD's are operating under an experimental STA (Special Temporary Authority) and do not have to be FCC technical rules compliant. They must however cease operation immediatley if an incumbent licensee experiences interference, hence the reason for the "stop buzzer" person's contact information.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Henry Cohen

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »

Does someone have a spectral signature of a white space device they can post?  I assume they use either 8VSB or QAM modulation.

Looks similar to COFDM.
Henry Cohen

Kevin Rudolph

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »

I think I may know what Carnegie Mellon is up to in Pittsburgh, and I'm not sure that it would interfere all that much with what we do at this point.  Someone from CMU is going to install an 'experimental' system to assist path of egress for the visually impaired.  From my understanding this is app based on either andriod or ios.

There is a convention for the visually impaired coming to a property I work with (Hotel AV) and they are installing the system so that the visually impaired know where to walk their seeing eye dogs (like to the field in which dogs 'walk').  From what I was told, the last time the convention was in they used some kind of buzzer outsize that buzzed 24/7 and another guest got so agitated he ripped it down and threw it over the hill side.  Before my time.

A friend of mine worked on a similar project for the Disney parks involving guided tours, talking Mickey dolls, and strategically placed RFID tags.  Get close enough to the RFID and Mickey tells you something about the ride or whatever - this was 10-12 years ago.  No idea what happened with the project.

Henry Cohen

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »

I think I may know what Carnegie Mellon is up to in Pittsburgh, and I'm not sure that it would interfere all that much with what we do at this point.  Someone from CMU is going to install an 'experimental' system to assist path of egress for the visually impaired.  From my understanding this is app based on either andriod or ios.

It would have to be a custom made personal device: There currently is no iOS or Android device on the market with a white space (TV band frequencies) chip set.
Henry Cohen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.