ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying Danley SH96 loudspeakers for portable systems  (Read 5337 times)

Andy Thisse

Flying Danley SH96 loudspeakers for portable systems
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »

There was a thread last year about flying Danley SH96 loudspeakers for a portable rig (since it was old I'm starting a new thread).  I thought I would share what I ended up doing with my system and wondered what others have been doing.  I know there was a discussion about a bracket coming out from Danley and if so, maybe there's no need to come up with DIY solutions.  Anyway, if there's anyone out there and interested, this solution has worked great for us.  It gives us the ability to adjust the angle of the loudspeakers if needed by adding shackles and is also a good positive connection to the genie lifts (bolts lock the bracket to the arms of the lift).  It's made primarily from unistrut parts and also some aluminum channel which serve as "sleeves" that slip over the arms of the lift.  Just as a side note... I love these loudspeakers.  :)  I've had them for over a year now and have used them indoors and outdoors for music events... Fantastic.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Flying Danley SH96 loudspeakers for portable systems
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »

How is the sub attached to the uni-strut members?  I see a single bolt per side, 2/3s or 3/4s of the way to the rear of the sub. What is that bolted to?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Andy Thisse

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »

How is the sub attached to the uni-strut members?  I see a single bolt per side, 2/3s or 3/4s of the way to the rear of the sub. What is that bolted to?
The Danley SH96 does look like a sub, but it is a multi-driver horn which covers quite a bit of the spectrum (50Hz-16kHz +/-3db as per the spec sheet).  The eye bolt on the front runs through the unistrut member into the threaded hang-point on the loudspeaker cabinet.  The bolt head you see 2/3s of the way back is threaded into another one of the hang-points on the cabinet.  Since the rear eyebolt needs to extend past the cut-away of the speaker cabinet to match the other side (which has no cut-away), I had to go with the cantilever approach.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:59:21 PM »

Thank you for the expanation. (I haven't learned all the Danley model numbers.)  Does the forward eye bolt snug up tightly in line, or is there a jamb nut somewhere to lock it in position?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Andy Thisse

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »

Thank you for the expanation. (I haven't learned all the Danley model numbers.)  Does the forward eye bolt snug up tightly in line, or is there a jamb nut somewhere to lock it in position?
There is no nut on the front eyebolt.  I have it cranked down (with a washer) to also secure the front part of the unistrut member to the loudspeaker cabinet.  This is a "touring" version of the SH96 which means it has handles as well as the casters on one end (with cut-away).  I was scratching my head a bit when I actually received the box because the hang points on the cabinet are not mirrored due to the cut-away, which is why I had to come up with something custom.  I thought maybe some folks on this forum would know of a commercially available solution to this (or maybe a better DIY one  :)).  The non-touring version is has uniform hang points which would simplify things for an install.  All that said, I do love how this loudspeaker sounds.  It still baffles people when they only see 2 relatively small loudspeakers on either side of the stage.  When they hear them, they instantly understand...

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »

Curious.  Where is the COG for weight rating location on the lift's arms? 

Andy Thisse

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

Curious.  Where is the COG for weight rating location on the lift's arms?
According to specs on the GenieST20, it's 600lbs. @ 24" and 800lbs @18" (to load center).  The box by itself is 215lbs plus probably 30-40 lbs of hardware.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »

According to specs on the GenieST20, it's 600lbs. @ 24" and 800lbs @18" (to load center).  The box by itself is 215lbs plus probably 30-40 lbs of hardware.

At first look it appeared that you were about 6" or so forward, but the caster cutout was misleading as to where the fly points were.

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:45:05 AM »

I'd love to see a worm wheel solution like Adamson uses for DSL speakers.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »

The CoG on these is pretty far back, the drivers are mounted almost at the rear of the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.