ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MY16-AUD firmware issues  (Read 4834 times)

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
MY16-AUD firmware issues
« on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »

I have several MY16-AUD cards (org model, not AUD2), firmware 2.4.0, software 3.4.0.6. Have followed Yamaha's instructions on firmware upgrading, but keep getting a "TFTP unable to start" error or something like that and no joy with new firmware. Error happens across several computers and OS, incl. mac and win7/win10. Yamaha after much time on a call was not able to provide a solution other than telling me to call Audinate. Audinate of course says that they don't support Dante Enabled Products, call Yamaha. Helpful... x2...

I guess the upside is that the cards seem to work fine. Just bugs me that I can't update to current firmware-feel like that will be an issue down the road. Any ideas out there?
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: MY16-AUD firmware issues
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »

I have several MY16-AUD cards (org model, not AUD2), firmware 2.4.0, software 3.4.0.6. Have followed Yamaha's instructions on firmware upgrading, but keep getting a "TFTP unable to start" error or something like that and no joy with new firmware. Error happens across several computers and OS, incl. mac and win7/win10. Yamaha after much time on a call was not able to provide a solution other than telling me to call Audinate. Audinate of course says that they don't support Dante Enabled Products, call Yamaha. Helpful... x2...

I guess the upside is that the cards seem to work fine. Just bugs me that I can't update to current firmware-feel like that will be an issue down the road. Any ideas out there?

Greg,
When you say that you have followed the instructions have you gone all the way back to your firmware revision and done the incremental upgrades required?
You can't just jump numerous firmware revisions.

You must update first to 3.4.0 from any firmware prior to that, then you can update to 3.7.22 and then you can update to version 3.10.12. 
Within this you must use different versions of Dante Firmware Update Manager, dependent on which firmware version you are coming from at the time.  V3.3.6 or earlier requires DFUM V1.0.6, 3.3.9 or later requires DFUM V1.4.16.6.

See link here.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/dante_my16aud/audinate_dantefirm_latest.jsp

If you have done all of these then I don't have any suggestions other than to contact Yamaha.  They have always provided great support in my experience.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »

yes, that link is to the instructions I was following. it is the first upgrade to 3.4.0 that fails, so no further upgrading is possible. i was kind of disappointed in yamaha's tech support, they basically threw in the towel.
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:40 PM »

yes, that link is to the instructions I was following. it is the first upgrade to 3.4.0 that fails, so no further upgrading is possible. i was kind of disappointed in yamaha's tech support, they basically threw in the towel.

Hmmm, Are you running a Mac or Windows machine?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:38:37 AM »

Hi Greg.

The key is in the TFTP error.  I've had this happen when updating firmware in Crown I-Techs and usually it's a TCP/IP network issue - fixed IP addresses in a different subnet, for example.  I understand there are other causes but I'm not qualified to speak to those... That said, resolve the TFTP problem and I bet your AUD will update.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:54:01 AM »

I get the same error on 2 Macs, a win7 and a win10 computer. :-( the devices all auto address in the 169.254.x.x range. Dante controller talks to everything. how would I go about resolving the tftp error??
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 05:29:10 AM »

Set static ip on both ends of the network... I though it was addressed a long time ago on these forums that if you are not running a DHCP server somewhere you should be running static IPs?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »

The instructions say:
9. Troubleshooting
9.1. Failed to initiate/start TFTP process/server
The Firmware Update Manager starts a TFTP server prior to updating a module's firmware.
If you see the following error message when using Firmware Update Manager:
'Failed to initiate TFTP process' (Mac OS X) or 'Failed to start TFTP server' (Windows)
This is because a TFTP server is already running, which must be stopped before the module update can
progress.

I find it very hard to believe that Audinate and Yamaha are not offering support. Either one should be able to help you with this, it sounds like you're not getting to the right department(s).
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »

I get the same error on 2 Macs, a win7 and a win10 computer. :-( the devices all auto address in the 169.254.x.x range. Dante controller talks to everything. how would I go about resolving the tftp error??

169 address space is bad news.  Not all network stacks resolve to it.

You need to put ip's on everything manually use 10.10.10.x where x is 10 to 100 .  Use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask and 10.10.10.1 as gateway (I know it does not exist).   Discrete IP on every machine including the PC.  On the PC connect the PC to the device to be updated via a dumb simple ethernet switch.  Turn off all other network devices on the PC, including but not limited to wifi interfaces, bluetooth, Cellular data etc.  This assures the tftp server will bind to the Ethernet interface you manually set the IP on.  Turn off the Windows firewall service in control panel. 

Open up a shell (command line) window on the PC and type ping 10.10.10.x where x is the IP address of the device to upgrade.  If you don't get a valid ping response back from the same IP as you pinged like this:

[sholtzman@panopticon ~]$ ping 10.10.10.10
PING 10.10.10.10 (10.10.10.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=252 time=15.3 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=252 time=15.2 ms

If you don't get this response back then go back and troubleshoot your network. 

Once you have confirmed connectivity then start the updater and I bet the tftp server will start.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »

Finally had a day to work on this and managed to get my cards updated. A few things I figured out...

When deciding which dante updater to use, you need to go by the *software* version reported in DC, not the *firmware* version as Yamaha suggests. In this case I was already at 3.4.0.6. This seems to be the best piece of the puzzle i found to make this work. Using the newer updater did not incur the TFTP error I was getting with the older updater.

The current version of Dante Updater requires you to check the box to "override device matching". Otherwise the MY16 card is not presented in the list to update. This is required even after updating thru official Yamaha firmwares, i.e. going from 3.7 to 3.10 (current).

Once the card is detected for updates, the process works fine with DHCP addresses, static addresses (tried 192.168.0.x, and 10.10.10.x ranges) and even windows auto assignments (169.254.x.x range). It even works with the WiFi enabled. With 5 cards to update I had a chance to try many scenarios. Seems a functional and correct network is all that is required. If you can't ping all devices, or they don't all show up in Dante Controller you will probably have issues.

Happily all cards are at current firmware versions now. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with ideas.
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.