ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K12 vs K12.2 specs  (Read 25496 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: QSC K12 vs K12.2 specs
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »

... If the driver can handle it. Another poster mentioned 900w RMS, 1800w peak from the amplifier.
There aren't many 12" drivers in the world that'll put up with that, and those that can don't get loaded into plastic boxes.

Chris
The trick of course is in the DSP.  Sure, the amp in the box might be capable of 1800W .... and that certainly makes a great marketing line ...... but the DSP limits the power to the speaker to numbers we all know are more reasonable.  The SPL (while still a flawed measurement) is a better measure of "how loud" the speaker can get (of course there is nothing saying that you can stand to listen to the quality of the speaker when it gets that loud ;) ).

I haven't heard the .2's yet, but the K12's didn't handle being pushed hard well.  They started limiting the woofer and kept on feeding higher levels to the horn giving a very "harsh" sound to them when turned up.  I am sure QSC worked on this for the .2's.

Bob Stone

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 10:52:48 AM »

The trick of course is in the DSP.  Sure, the amp in the box might be capable of 1800W .... and that certainly makes a great marketing line ...... but the DSP limits the power to the speaker to numbers we all know are more reasonable.  The SPL (while still a flawed measurement) is a better measure of "how loud" the speaker can get (of course there is nothing saying that you can stand to listen to the quality of the speaker when it gets that loud ;) ).

I haven't heard the .2's yet, but the K12's didn't handle being pushed hard well.  They started limiting the woofer and kept on feeding higher levels to the horn giving a very "harsh" sound to them when turned up.  I am sure QSC worked on this for the .2's.

Yup, the .2's stay far cleaner at higher levels than the older ones did, the horns don't outrun the woofer anymore...not to say they're the best sounding at very high output, but the .2's are an improvement in that department. I'd guestimate a couple more useful db.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »

Yup, the .2's stay far cleaner at higher levels than the older ones did, the horns don't outrun the woofer anymore...not to say they're the best sounding at very high output, but the .2's are an improvement in that department. I'd guestimate a couple more useful db.

Agreed, I used a pair of 12.2's as tops for an outdoor series at a venue for the last season before lockdown, I had been using the original 12's previously. The .2's are a solid improvement especially at higher volumes (I don't mix especially loud by habit - mostly Americana & singer-songwriter stuff).

I replaced most of my original K12's with the 8.2's primarily for monitors but in the right situation they work great as mains (with a sub of course). I mostly work small to medium sized stages so they fit better on stage physically than the 12's and shock people regularly with their capabilities. Plus I can fit about twice as many in my van.

I gotta lot of QSC K stuff, after decades of having to tune systems to make them sound decent it's nice to have plug&play setups where I can just pull the models appropriate for each gig. Been spending much of today pulling a system for a show tomorrow so it's on my mind...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.