ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K12 vs K12.2 specs  (Read 25491 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: QSC K12 vs K12.2 specs
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:07:37 PM »

It's more commonly agreed that 0.5 to 1db is the smallest change in level discernible by humans.

I share this opinion.  I think 3dB is a big change.

But in full disclosure, I also think 6dB is a perceptual doubling,
.....and that the commonly claimed 10dB perceptual doubling is based on a historical misunderstanding of pioneers' work, like Fletcher-Munson's,
a misunderstanding that has been repeated time and again until accepted as "true". Sorry to swerve.......
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:59:35 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 09:11:55 PM »

It's more commonly agreed that 0.5 to 1db is the smallest change in level discernible by humans.

Most people without listening critically will not hear .5 or 1dB, most will hear 3dB.

Mac

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »

Form a systems architecture standpoint, QSC's new amp topology makes sense.  Lows need more power.  Highs, less...  if they can bench it, they can use it to market.

More accurately, the previous design didn't make much sense if indeed the HF amp mirrored the power capability of the LF amp.

kel mcguire

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

I've yet to hear the new series so I'll reserve my opinion. Regardless of the amp specs, QSC isn't unaware of the thousands of users who wanted a bit more headroom before that clippy, fizzy sound set in. If there is 3dB more headroom on the series and a re-thought DSP, I'd be pretty happy. And considering the price points haven't changed, these might be surprising. The built in EQ and delay on the series is really nice too.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

Yeah I've got more faith in the updated compression driver, new power amp, and contemporary DSP than in peak SPL and power amp numbers. The old K series is what.... 8 years old now? It was definitely time for QSC to re-work their very popular powered speaker line.

I haven't yet heard of a direct A/B comparison of old K to new at limit, but I would expect the new to sound more composed just because this is QSC. It would be awesome if someone with both would do that.

Sean Barry

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 02:02:05 PM »

I know this is a rather old thread, but....It sucks that QSC dumped the handy dandy PowerCon in and out with a jumper cable included for a single Edison in! The PowerCons are a quick and easy and safer way to hook up a QSC quasi line array. My $.02

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »

Agreed, but 3dB is what most "normal people" would notice as a change in an average situation, without listening for a change.

And of course anything inbetween-----------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ed Taylor

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 05:00:23 PM »

I've not been in front of the .2 series. I can imagine pushing the LF harder would make a difference.

i can say that the original K12s were surprisingly loud.

I have been on a couple stages where I was booked to do the live band portion of the party, with a seperate DJ oh deck to do their thing.

my rig would be full 3-way tops stacked on subs. Gave me all I needed for the room. granted each of my boxes were only rated at 700 watts, but SPLs were still solid.
DJ would roll in with just a pair of K12s..no subs...crank em to the point of ugly hurt you levels that "seemed" to be louder than my larger rig could hit..

Mal Brown

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 01:49:08 AM »

I know this is a rather old thread, but....It sucks that QSC dumped the handy dandy PowerCon in and out with a jumper cable included for a single Edison in! The PowerCons are a quick and easy and safer way to hook up a QSC quasi line array. My $.02

I have a dozen or so K series boxes in my inventory.  None have powercon.  All are IEC as are the KW boxes in my inventory...

What choo been smokin' Willis?
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 05:42:53 AM »

I can imagine pushing the LF harder would make a difference.

... If the driver can handle it. Another poster mentioned 900w RMS, 1800w peak from the amplifier.
There aren't many 12" drivers in the world that'll put up with that, and those that can don't get loaded into plastic boxes.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 05:42:53 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.