Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

QSC K12 vs K12.2 specs

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mal Brown:
Form a systems architecture standpoint, QSC's new amp topology makes sense.  Lows need more power.  Highs, less...  if they can bench it, they can use it to market.

As far as the JBL stuff goes, after my experience with PRX 612m's ...  JBL is in my rear view mirror...  while I do love my SI 3 and mini stage box setup, I have no love for Harmon these days.   Talk about hyped marketing... and their overall lack of product support is underwhelming to say the least.

Scott Bolt:
I am waiting to hear one side by side with my DSR112 before I pass judgement ;)

Note that the DSR112's have a similiar amplifier topology (more amp going to the woofer than the tweeter); however, the rubber hits the road, it is about how good it sounds, and how loud it can get and still sound that good.

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Thomas Le on July 23, 2017, 01:02:11 PM ---The SRX800P can rip apart with up to 136dB max SPL
--- End quote ---
Speaking of marketing BS...

The original K series was a 600w rms box for all intents.. the compression driver never uses more than about 100w of the 500w available to it, so the new series is an upgrade.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Tony Mamoh on July 23, 2017, 11:28:34 AM ---The specs for the 'new' QSC K12.2 claims it delivers 2000watts. The previously issued K12 was always advertised to deliver 1000watts.

What on earth makes the K12.2 have 2000 watts? The drivers appear very similar. The major difference in both boxes seems to be the Bluetooth enabled feature on the new K12.2 . Is there something I am not seeing? Or is this the usual game of manufacturers playing with numbers to give buyers a quick attraction (until they read the fine prints.....wherein lies the devil and/or the truth)?

--- End quote ---

Maybe I was too subtle. What exactly do you think the difference in performance with 2 nearly identical speakers is when one of them has a peak power consumption of 1000W and the other is 2000W?

The difference is that most people will be able to tell that one of them is slightly louder than the other when they are each driven to their performance limits assuming all other factors are the same. 3dB, the smallest difference in SPL that most people can discern. That is the difference between 1000W and 2000W, 3dB.

Using watts as a descriptor of speaker performance is a marketing ploy, it has little or no relation to actual audio performance.

Mac

Andrew Broughton:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on July 23, 2017, 05:13:26 PM ---3dB, the smallest difference in SPL that most people can discern.
--- End quote ---
It's more commonly agreed that 0.5 to 1db is the smallest change in level discernible by humans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version