ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: best cheap dj/band speakers  (Read 33795 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: best cheap dj/band speakers
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »

i have a mackie onyx 1640i analog mixer with firewire connection to a laptop to ableton for effects and the option of recording gigs... the output from the computer is 16 channels not just 2 stereo outputs... so you can send all 16 tracks into and out of the laptop to be routed however you want from the mixer to whatever buses and speakers you decide...

Can someone explain this to me?  I can't seem to grasp what Ableton does here and how we end up with 16 outputs.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

Can someone explain this to me?  I can't seem to grasp what Ableton does here and how we end up with 16 outputs.

I gave up trying to understand the signal flow or actual use about 4 pages ago.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

I got confused by this too Scott but thought I was missing something. How can this be done?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »

The "signal flow" seems to be "reading product literature and imagining how it works".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »

The Firewire interface is just for recording / studio use.  It is 16 in 3 out from the PC / Mac. IMO, the only use for this in a live scenario would be to multitrack record to a DAW.  I think the OP is overestimating the capability of this mixer, as Mr. Rees would suggest.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2017, 09:48:36 PM »

I have seen a guy who used a multi-channel recording interface and a laptop as a mixer.  This was before rack mounted digital mixers became popular.  He ran a few plug-ins on it but it was pretty easy to get carried away with multiple things on every track and latency.  When I saw him do it, it was in a bar where there weren't a lot of inputs.

I suppose you could use such a set up as multiple external FX loops, but kind of unnecessary given what you can get in a 3U box these days.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »

I think you guys missed that he is sticking to electronic drums?? I guess that negates the idea of doing sound for others. I am really confused, so far I gather he is a drummer who wants to build a rig for DJ's and eventually for bands who must use electronic drums.

Did I understand correctly?
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »

...  I am really confused ... Did I understand correctly?
I am not so much confused as confounded by OP not telling us the whole story. (What does he really want to accomplish, what is the real short and long term budget, what is the business plan if this is going to be a business, is he in a band and is this for his band for starters, etc.)

Did you understand correctly ??? I'm not sure any of us understand what he really wants.

At this point, I simply give up.
(I suspect many others who know more than I about sound, are also smarter than I about when to stop trying and gave up a while back.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Joseph Amodeo

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »

bands and djs... i own most of the band equipment, 2 mics, mic stands, guitars, keyboard, 16 channel firewire mixer, electronic drums,

along with numark ns7 and laptop and odyssey case...

smaller pubs mostly

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »

bands and djs... i own most of the band equipment, 2 mics, mic stands, guitars, keyboard, 16 channel firewire mixer, electronic drums,

along with numark ns7 and laptop and odyssey case...

smaller pubs mostly
What sort of bands are you doing with only 2 mics?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.