ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: best cheap dj/band speakers  (Read 34283 times)

Steve Loewenthal

Re: best cheap dj/band speakers
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »

Look for a used powered speaker that the pro sound companies stopped using several years ago. Something like the QSC HPR 122i
Here is a link to a hpr122i for sale I saw on reverb.com
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »

and btw, a single hpr122i will probably out perform most pairs of speakers that you will be able to get with your budget.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »

Tell us more about the kind of gigs where you want to use the gear.

How big is the space, how many people, what kind of music, what kind of audience (and audience expectations.)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »

Something like the QSC HPR 122i

Still using mine, along with the rest of my HPR rig...about 9 years after the initial purchase.  Buy once cry once...you get what you pay for.  Not knowing anything else about your jobs/market/expectations, I'll throw in a vote for the Mackie SRM450.  I don't like them personally and most often-discussed offerings from QSC, Yamaha, etc. will walk all over them, but these are the absolute cheapest speakers that I'd consider to be "acceptable", at least in the band/DJ market so long as you have a sub and aren't trying to work miracles with them.  Looks like you can get a pair for about 1K.  Less if you have a good dealer relationship or buy used. 

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »

... I'll throw in a vote for the Mackie SRM450....
If you can find a really old one (up to sometime in 1993) they were made in Italy by RCF at the time and have a reputation of being much better than the new ones. There are some old posts on how to read the serial number to tell.
Steve Loewenthal

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »

Nothing says "cheap DJ" like Behringer.

What?

Oh...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Joseph Amodeo

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »

my gigs would be small pubs, medium sized restaurants, barbecues and deck parties...

have people had experience with the EV's breaking down, same goes for peaveys, yamahas, etc... just want something that wont break down, which apparently happens for all budget speakers... so at least something that can be replaced or upgraded any time a woofer blows etc

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »

my gigs would be small pubs, medium sized restaurants, barbecues and deck parties...

have people had experience with the EV's breaking down, same goes for peaveys, yamahas, etc... just want something that wont break down, which apparently happens for all budget speakers... so at least something that can be replaced or upgraded any time a woofer blows etc

What you have to understand is that the problem is the user.  DJ's are well-known for blowing shit up no matter the brand. There are no idiot proof speakers...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Joseph Amodeo

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »

What you have to understand is that the problem is the user.  DJ's are well-known for blowing shit up no matter the brand. There are no idiot proof speakers...

i know what im doing with a gain knob i have some training as an audio engineer

Stelios Mac

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

Woofers blow when you push them too hard. Not on their own.
If you're serious about it (Do you do this for a living?), spend some more money and get yourself some proper tools.
Get a PA that's louder than you'll ever need, that way you won't ever have to push it hard and you won't have to replace drivers every now and then.
QSC just released their new K.2 series, so second hand value of K12s and the like has gone down quite a bit. You can get a used pair for under a grand.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.