ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: best cheap dj/band speakers  (Read 33793 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: best cheap dj/band speakers
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2017, 11:18:03 PM »

It's a shame that they don't appreciate the depth of knowledge and sincere desire to help them be better that is driven by a passion for good sound.  After all, what do guys like Brian, Tim, Dick, Caleb, Steve (and so many others) have to gain by freely offering professional advice?  They already have successful careers-some have retired from successful careers and have nothing to lose from any OP's failure (its certainly not their money being squandered)-and nothing to gain other than the satisfaction of helping someone else succeed at a vocation they are passionate about. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:27:27 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

David Allred

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »

It's a shame that they don't appreciate the deoth of knowledge ...

You misspelled death.

The hardest thing to do is un-learn something that you believe to be true.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »

Based on the context, and the letter used, I think he intended to type "depth," instead of "deoth."

-r
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »

Based on the context, and the letter used, I think he intended to type "depth," instead of "deoth."

-r

I see the irony/sarcasm in David's correction... 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »

I see the irony/sarcasm in David's correction... 8)

Bingo.  But really, it was an intentional miss-correction of the typo, with a little irony of "beating a dead dj... errrr horse" that happens occasionally ... errrr frequently. :)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »

Don't skimp on FOH speakers!

Good FOH, Average band gear = good show
Bad FOH, Great band and gear = painful to listen to

On the K-Sub, I am also not a fan.  They are expensive and heavy.  For close to the same money:

Yamaha DXS18 (much louder)
JBL PRX 818 XLF (much louder, much more even sounding)
JBL SRX 818sp (much louder, much more even sounding, a bit more expensive)
QSC KW181 (much louder, much more even sounding)
Yorkville LS801p (much much louder, a bit heavy)

Joseph Amodeo

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

would it be more of a good idea to simply scrap the guitar amps and run all the instruments through the mixer to the active speakers... mind you you can add reverb, distortion, delay etc at the click of a button on the computer... im not really interested in micing amps and dealing with feedback, and endless expensive mics, and apparently using amps alone is not an option which is understandable, even in practice spaces, amps have to be well placed or it sounds like your guitarist is accross the room...,

the mixer im using is once again a mackie onyx 1640i... its a pretty versatile mixer with a firewire DAC to a computer, and pretty solid preamps outside of spending 10k on a neve mixer... also has 16 channels...

im pretty much using electronic drums for life, so is it really going to be that much of a problem?... some drum brains allow you to adjust the volume of each individual drums... ultimately these are way faster and easier to set up, way easier  to transport, way easier to maintain, no need to tune or adjust, multiple sounds and styles at the push of a button, way easier and effortless to play... way more space efficient in smaller venues.... and (probably) the wave of the future... usually sound crisper and cleaner than acoustic drums tend to sound in the venues im aiming for playing which tend to muddy the acoustic drums... there have been many complaints... maybe a digital sounding comming right out of well p'aced and prosumer level speakers would kill two birds with one stone...

i honestly have learned a lot and would rather spend more on some prosumer speakers...

let me clarify what i meant by "pushed harder"  i mean if bpth speakers are pushed well within their limiter still having lots of headroom where distortion or blowing the speaker is not an issue... what sounds BETTER with more balance, tone, warmth, etc, when played at its healthy level, i dont mean PUSHED to the limiter... does it even matter, iv heard different speakers have different characteristic sounds.... furthermore... its also useful information to know which speaker sounds better when pushed to lighting the limiter and holds out longer without blowing the drivers when under strain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »

If you're hitting the limiter, then you need to turn it down. As soon as that limiter is running, you're going to be running the risk of damaging the drivers. There's no magic point that "before this line, you're OK, and after it, you're toast" -- it simply doesn't exist. Everything is dynamic based on the circumstances at hand. You can watch the rig all you want- one fast peak and POP.

As for mic'ing guitar cabs and dealing with feedback- good-- well, even decent or OK placed guitar mics, emphasis on WELL-PLACED should not be feeding back at all. If they are, then you need to step back to Sound 101 and eliminate the cause. (A common one with Sennheiser e609s or e906s is ignoring what the "FRONT" label on the mic means!)

I would strongly suggest you stop worrying about how speakers will perform when "pushed harder." You really don't want to be purchasing a rig based on how they perform when they're being abused! [Unless you're planning on only renting these out, and you won't be there to make sure they're treated respectfully.]

So do you have a new budget in mind, since you're now (apparently) willing to spend more than $350?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »

Micing guitar amps is simple and straight-forward. If anything, they're less likely to feed back than a vocal mic. A pair of '57s and some short stands and you're done.

That said, if you can get away with using an amp emulator direct into the PA (and monitors!), life will get much easier as stage volume will drop hugely. After drums, guitar amps are the next biggest PITA in that regard.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jay Marr

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »

would it be more of a good idea to simply scrap the guitar amps and run all the instruments through the mixer to the active speakers... mind you you can add reverb, distortion, delay etc at the click of a button on the computer...

Yes, but.....
You cannot use the computer for your guitar tone. 
Your guitar player must own a modeling solution.  Good ones are not cheap.
If you try to use a guitar plug in on your computer, the latency is going to be terrible in a live band situation.
If laptops were great guitar amps....you'd see people doing it.
Tell your guitar player to buy (at a minimum) a Line 6 pedal/pod.  Then you can run through FOH speakers.  But the guitar player will need a monitor for themselves in addition to that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.