ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: best cheap dj/band speakers  (Read 34308 times)

Joseph Amodeo

Re: best cheap dj/band speakers
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »

how is the mackie srm 450 in terms of repairability... i know the drivers are somewhat easy to find... what about qsc k10... are these easy to repair? i guess the entire topic of this thread should be what speakers are easiest to repair... and have parts most readoly available...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »

Whatever you buy for $350/pair *will* do a Joan of Arc impression when you run them at "loud DJ levels".

You'd be better off asking for the unicorn.

If you're doing audio as an income source I suggest you reevaluate your business plan and plan on adding a couple of 0's to the price tag as you don't seem to understand what it costs to provide sound on a commercial basis.  That you're now asking about repair costs and parts availability does not give me a warmer or fuzzier feeling; how many times are you willing to "buy" the same speakers over and over again when you repeatedly blow them up?

Do you have liability insurance to cover your business?  What happens when a drunk patron runs into a speaker stand and the speaker lands on someone else (or the drunk)?  When folks come here asking for the cheapest possible item for a commercial use it usually means there is no business plan or a realistic concept of what it takes to operate even a profitable hobby.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »

how is the mackie srm 450 in terms of repairability... i know the drivers are somewhat easy to find... what about qsc k10... are these easy to repair? i guess the entire topic of this thread should be what speakers are easiest to repair... and have parts most readoly available...

Hey Joe...

Why don't you jst learn how to use the gear properly so you don't have to keep repairing your mistakes?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »

Hey Joe...

Why don't you jst learn how to use the gear properly so you don't have to keep repairing your mistakes?

And that seems to negate his comment about having "training as an audio engineer."  Engineers know how to evaluate a particular item and determine that item's suitability for a given purpose.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »

i know what im doing with a gain knob i have some training as an audio engineer

No, apparently not.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »

Hey Joe...

Exactly!  Speakers rarely fail on their own.  The vast majority of time, failure is 100% the fault of the user. Treated properly, speakers should last nearly indefinitely.

Powered speakers change the rules a bit, as the internal electronics can fail without abuse.

If you really want to get a PAIR of speakers for $350, the only way you will find anything worthwhile is if it fell off the back of a truck.  That’s simply not a realistic number.

Who cares about repairability at that point either? A $175 item that breaks is a throw away.
Brian Jojade

Joseph Amodeo

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »

its very simple... uuh.. i believe mackie srm450s are loud enougqh for the venues i specified... small pubs restaurants etc... doesnt make me an idiot for asking a simple question erreplacement parts... SERIOUSLY? use your gear correctly??? speakers under 500$ might randomly die on you whether you crank them too high or not... simply due to age or poor construction...  this other guy wants me to buy insurance to gig a small pub...

serious question... youre telling me cheap speakers will never blow out if you play within their limits... in theory i think not... at what point did i say i was going to crank up the speakers past their intended volume...

replacing my mistakes? determine the items suitability for a given purpose? uuuh more like trying to find high powered low def entry level speakers... using them within their intended volume... and replacing certain parts every couple of years if they crap out on no ones fault

any experience with EV ZLX12p's randomly dieing???

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »

I have a pair of 1993 Mackie SRM450 (Made in Italy by RCF) that I purchased used in 2004 and have been using about once a month since. First as mains, now as monitors. Never had to repair them.

My Peavey Impulse 12D pair were purchased new in 2011. These have been used as mains since then. About every 10th feedback event or so seems to result in a blown tweeter. I send in the driver to PV and they repair it for a reasonable flat fee. (See other recent thread about MC's standing in front of the mains. :) ) They've never had a problem unrelated to user error.

I've used some HPR122's from a local sound company that had extreme denting on the grilles, scratches and cuts on the enclosure and looked generally abused. They sounded great.

My personal HPR115's (4 of them) were purchased used. For 3 of them, the previous owners claimed to have used them for many years and never had to repair them. I have not had the opportunity to use them very much. (My intended use for them never happened, but my GAS problem won't allow me to sell them.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Stelios Mac

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »

its very simple... uuh.. i believe mackie srm450s are loud enougqh for the venues i specified... small pubs restaurants etc... doesnt make me an idiot for asking a simple question erreplacement parts... SERIOUSLY? use your gear correctly??? speakers under 500$ might randomly die on you whether you crank them too high or not... simply due to age or poor construction...  this other guy wants me to buy insurance to gig a small pub...

serious question... youre telling me cheap speakers will never blow out if you play within their limits... in theory i think not... at what point did i say i was going to crank up the speakers past their intended volume...

replacing my mistakes? determine the items suitability for a given purpose? uuuh more like trying to find high powered low def entry level speakers... using them within their intended volume... and replacing certain parts every couple of years if they crap out on no ones fault

any experience with EV ZLX12p's randomly dieing???

You mentioned blown woofers; Woofers don't "blow randomly", that's a fact. They only blow because of abuse, either short or long term.
Think of speakers as car engines. "Enough" is when you can get the required performance at 3000 rpm. Not 7000, and certainly not hitting the rev limiters all day long.

Anyway, Mackie is generally considered to be at the lower end of the spectrum quality-wise. In fact, the only "random" speaker failure I've ever heard of were some Mackie amp modules that failed. QSC, Yamaha, RCF & EV are all very well respected companies which I, personally, would trust way more than Mackie.
A new pair of K12.2s is what I would go for, and no, they are NOT considered to be expensive speakers. They'd have plenty of headroom and should last for a long time - They even come with 6 year warranty (!)
I've used those ZLX boxes - They sounded ok considering what they cost, they're not even remotely close to K12s in output. 450s would possibly outrun them too.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »

If you are still considering 2 speakers for $350, then I would not be concerned about repair costs as there are no quality parts in the box (including the box) worth replacing.
Purchasing a single speaker, probably used, for $350 at least has the potential for getting you out of the junk category.
If you were my friend, I would tell you that "Friends don't let friends buy junk."
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.