ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Growth Strategy for a Rock Band  (Read 32553 times)

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Re: PA Growth Strategy for a Rock Band
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »

Combination at this place. A number of people dance in the area in front of the stage and many more listen from all sides of the bar. Not the greatest room but a great crowd to play to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Garris

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

Where to people dance or otherwise listen to the band?  I've done the single top at B as well.  You could have a second speaker at A but turn it down and point it towards C.  Speaker at B pointed at the left corner of what I presume is an entrance.  Folks at the bar will hear, just not as much HF.  Figuring that people around the bar have other agendas ;) you're directing the best sound at the folks right in front of you.

This is exactly how I would do it as well.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »

So, set up the sub at B. Top stacked above and another at C on a stick. Both angled slightly inwards firing down the length of the room. I could not really assess because I was on stage but several usual audience members noted the improvement. Tops are high passed at 100 so I think the extra headroom helped quite a bit. Thanks all for the advice

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Brian_Henry

• NJ
PA Growth Strategy for a Rock Band
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »

Hi All,

Just reporting back that I am very happy with the srx828. So much so I'm considering srx tops (edit: 2-way) by the end of year, much sooner than I had anticipated. Do you consider this a definite step up from the K12s with respect their costs? I know they sound quite a bit better but doing a reality check here from a spending perspective. Half the impetus to do this moving at least one K12 to wedge duty. The other half would be better quality output particularly at higher SPL.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:20:12 PM by BrianHenry »

Steve Garris

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »

Hi All,

Just reporting back that I am very happy with the srx828. So much so I'm considering srx tops (edit: 2-way) by the end of year, much sooner than I had anticipated. Do you consider this a definite step up from the K12s with respect their costs? I know they sound quite a bit better but doing a reality check here from a spending perspective. Half the impetus to do this moving at least one K12 to wedge duty. The other half would be better quality output particularly at higher SPL.

The SRX powered tops are fantastic (I have the 815's). They will provide a ton of output and do it very nicely with little to no EQ needed. There is absolutely no comparison to a K12. I like K12's on monitor duty. With a pair of SRX tops over the 828 sub and K12's on monitors, you will have an enviable rock system that will work in any small club and is suitable for small outside concerts of 500 or more.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »

Thanks Steve, appreciate the feedback.

I am leaning toward the 812 due to size. I don't see a substantial difference in performance between it and the 815 on paper. Is there any in practice? Steve, why did you choose the 15" woofer?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 06:07:44 AM »

A bigger driver can move more air, and will have more headroom (all other things being equal) towards the bottom of its range. Since you're crossing to a sub, that's not a huge concern for you, but still, a 15" will put out more at 100Hz than a 12".

I'd see if you can get a demo and figure out if the 12" + sub will be enough for you.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve Garris

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 03:48:48 PM »

Thanks Steve, appreciate the feedback.

I am leaning toward the 812 due to size. I don't see a substantial difference in performance between it and the 815 on paper. Is there any in practice? Steve, why did you choose the 15" woofer?

The 15 is a personal preference, which provides more punch IMO. I mostly mix rock bands, and I use 2-way 15's over single 18 subs (have 2 small systems). Most here would probably recommend the 812p, which will also be very good IMO.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

Thank you Steve. I will do a search as I'm sure 812v815 has been discussed at length already!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.