ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling consoles and amp racks  (Read 9422 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Cooling consoles and amp racks
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »

Hey Stu,

Would you mind updating your link to be a clickable link, as opposed to one that jenks up the display of the thread??

Here's all you have to do! Use this code:
[url=www.yourlink.whatever]The Link Text[/url]

So, this code:
[url=www.kelcema.com]Kelcema Audio[/url]

will display this:
Kelcema Audio

Thanks!

-Ray
Ok I just pasted it in a word doc so I have it.  I did use it on another thread and it worked great.
Thanks Ray

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »

Ive seen Barn Fans being used.  They use them on farms a lot.   They move air.

Old belt-driven squirrel-cage furnace blowers move just as much air, are far more quieter and compact (can be built into cube road-cases easily) and are easier to direct the output where you want it.

Newer direct-drive ones are even more compact and have better speed control, but you usually won't find them for free in scrapyards!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Peter Morris

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »

As mentioned, shade and moving air are the best bets. The good part is that the hardware doesn't care about the Heat Index, only the actual air temperature. The only thing I've considered trying would be one of those apartment floor-standing air conditioners, but I've been too lazy so far.

I don't know what gear you are running, but my Yamaha and Shure gear have held up just fine for me on my nightmare July 4th gigs in bottom of a big stone amphitheater in West Texas. The last two years have been the worst: Peaks of 118 degrees ambient last year, and about 110 degrees ambient this year. CL1, multiple Rios, ULXDQ, etc. never missed a beat. The heat's been much worse on me than the gear.

I've attached a photo from this past July just for 'fun'. I'm set up under a good canopy, and I've got 'space blankets' or equivalent shielding items from sun that comes in as the day progresses. Somehow we've survived.

Milt ... that's HOT ...  110 F is about 43 degree C

For me down under the problem is direct exposure to the sun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9bX8ek9H40
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:09:02 AM by Peter Morris »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:39 PM »

But how long does the bacon take?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Peter Morris

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »

But how long does the bacon take?

Yes you can cook bacon  :P  … the problem for me is keeping things out of the sun.  If not you can expect things to shut down on extreme days. My EFX racks have fans built into the rack to keep the air circulating. Keeping the air moving to prevent any additional heat build-up can be critical.

I can remember helping a friend with a show and it was so hot the wheels of his road case sunk into the melting bitumen at FOH, the next year I can remember putting the wheels of the case back into the same holes.

FWIW a couple of years ago I stopped while driving and took this picture … the outside temperature was showing 50.5C or 123 F while driving through the city, luckily my show was at night and I had no issues.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:31:06 AM by Peter Morris »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

Peter, are you somewhere near Adelaide?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.