ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a new DJ thing?????????  (Read 9644 times)

David Allred

Re: Is this a new DJ thing?????????
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »

I know as a system tech that would drive me nuts trying to figure out a pattern or if it was an intermittent fault.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ivan is saying it is by design.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »

I won'
t go into details, but some emails I have gotten sound like they are muting some of the bass, and then turning it back on, all while the DJ is playing a show.

Not for troubleshooting reasons, but as if it was "natural" to do this during a show.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »

If you were sys teching and part of the system was cutting in and our, would your first thought be the guy on stage is doing it on purpose?

Or would your ears tell you something is not as usual and trigger the troubleshooting mode.

I have told a story before on here about a song that had the clicking sound of subs hitting xmax recorded into the track. Drove me crazy until I realized the click was coming from the tops.

I have had enough techs tell me something is wrong with the system only to have it turn out to be their signal that I start troubleshooting by checking what they are sending.

Jay Barracato

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »

1+ for Jay's comment.  I had an employee that just loved a certain song and would play it when we were testing.  That damn song had so much intentional distortion that I couldn't tell if a system was good or bad.  I had to tell him to never ever play it in my shop after he used it for sales demo and the customers ask if that was how the system always sounded!

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »

Could this be the beginning of the end of the current style of extreme hyping of the bass? Even DJs must realize that with so much subbage a lot of otherwise nice parts of the music get drowned out and lost as the middle of the frequency spectrum gets overwhelmed by bass. So maybe, just maybe, they are starting to want to hear some of those mids that have been covered up for all these years, and experimenting with uncovering the mids temporarily during parts of a song. Wow, there were vocals, congas and piano in that song? Harmony? Melody? Who knew?

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »

I won'
t go into details, but some emails I have gotten sound like they are muting some of the bass, and then turning it back on, all while the DJ is playing a show.

Not for troubleshooting reasons, but as if it was "natural" to do this during a show.

From a DJ perspective, I have not heard of this, if they are cutting out frequencies it would be across all speakers in the P.A. via tone controls or effects. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the sound guy is giving some of his subs a break, letting them cool down maybe? Could it have been the DJ turning the monitors up and down? Oftentimes I will cut the monitor down or off until I'm ready for the next mix. Most DJs could care less about individual speakers and usually don't have access to tweak individual cabs while they are playing.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »

I know as a system tech that would drive me nuts trying to figure out a pattern or if it was an intermittent fault.

I once thought the dj was trying to mess with me, asking where the bass was going, but as it turned out, one of the amps was failing and he was sensitive enough to perceive a couple dB difference

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »

When you say "they" are turning off a portion of the subs, who do you mean?

I assume not the actual DJ themselves? I would think that they would just be giving you a LR out of their mixer, and any effects/EQ/Cuts they applied would be to the whole music signal?

So a system tech or the sound co providing the sound you mean? If it was for creative reasons, how would they know when to do it, when the DJ wanted it cut? is it happening with specific songs or parts, or specific times etc?

While I appreciate you don't want to go into too much info about specific clients etc, I struggle to understand what turning portions of the subs on and off like this would accomplish. surely if you wanted to lower the bass temporarily for whatever reason, you would just do it with all the subs together to preserve your system design and coverage across the audience etc.

I can only think that maybe they don't have enough rig for the job, and either the amps are protecting automatically, or the system tech is cycling through groups of subs at a time manually giving them a small rest and chance to cool?

K

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.