ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a new DJ thing?????????  (Read 9645 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Is this a new DJ thing?????????
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

I have been getting the impression (I won't go into details) that at some DJ events, some of the guys are simply muting and unmuting various subs during the performance-at full performance level.

I assume this is for some sort of "effect"?

This is a new concept to me-has anybody else run into it?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Allred

Re: Is this a new DJ thing?????????
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »

I have been getting the impression (I won't go into details) that at some DJ events, some of the guys are simply muting and unmuting various subs during the performance-at full performance level.

That could definitely be an effect.  Could also be an anti-fatigue (auditory) attempt?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »

That could definitely be an effect.  Could also be an anti-fatigue (auditory) attempt?
I think it is more of the "sudden" effect of reducing some of the subs, rather than just turning them down.

And then only some of them.

It seems like asking for trouble-especially if some are muted and they forget and then want full level.

But then again-it is "art", and pretty much anything goes.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Guy Graham

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

Might it be some modern adjustable digital version of kill switches, or even just the low frequency kill switch from a typical 3-way steep analogue fixed pass band filter?

These were used by some DJs (especially mixing genres with lots of percussive builds, breakdowns etc) both to produce extra drama by further manipulating the thump exciting the dance floor, as well as allowing smoother, subtler and more complex mixing - all via punching in and out huge portions of the frequency spectrum.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »

But then again-it is "art", and pretty much anything goes.

I don't know anything about Art, but I know what I like...and that ain't it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »

Very old... Since the Disco Era, Dee-Jays have used tone pots that completely roll off highs, mids , or lows... supposedly, to create 'tension' and 'excitement'.  Yawn.

CHORUS
So high (you got me movin')
Rock me baby
Roll me away
So high (you got me movin')
Rock me baby
Roll me away

Ijustdroppedintoseewhatconditionmyconditiomwasin,
Dennis

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »

Amplifier protection circuits reacting to abuse?  Probably not, but . . .

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »

. . .simply muting and unmuting various subs during the performance-at full performance level.

Current crop of DJ mixers has an impressive array of really powerful filters and DSP at the DJ's fingertips. Aside from 3 or 4 band GEQ on every input, there are multiple, assignable high-order (48dB/octave) LPF and HPF options, some with synthesizer type VCF resonance controls. Also, "isolators" which are essentially analog crossovers that can cut entire freq bands of a track out completely. If an SSL G+ EQ is a velvet glove, these guys are using 16lb sledge hammers. . .

On top of that, most of the guys I know writing techno and house are using multiple drum synthesizers with 3-4 different kick drums hitting at once to get the desired sound, possibly even adding a subharmonic synthesizer (DBX120A or similar). You can think of it like putting multiple mics on a kick drum and using that as a creative tool. You can modulate the tuning of the drum on the fly. Likewise with snares and hats.

It's a huge experiment in everything you wouldn't want to have happen in a live stage or recording situation. There's no telling where the weirdness is actually happening.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »

Current crop of DJ mixers has an impressive array of really powerful filters and DSP at the DJ's fingertips. Aside from 3 or 4 band GEQ on every input, there are multiple, assignable high-order (48dB/octave) LPF and HPF options, some with synthesizer type VCF resonance controls. Also, "isolators" which are essentially analog crossovers that can cut entire freq bands of a track out completely. If an SSL G+ EQ is a velvet glove, these guys are using 16lb sledge hammers. . .

On top of that, most of the guys I know writing techno and house are using multiple drum synthesizers with 3-4 different kick drums hitting at once to get the desired sound, possibly even adding a subharmonic synthesizer (DBX120A or similar). You can think of it like putting multiple mics on a kick drum and using that as a creative tool.

This is not an overall thing, but rather just some of the subs/drivers.  The others are sitll working.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »

This is not an overall thing, but rather just some of the subs/drivers.  The others are sitll working.
I know as a system tech that would drive me nuts trying to figure out a pattern or if it was an intermittent fault.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.