ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw  (Read 7677 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 09:33:07 PM »

I have 2 sets of 10' scaffold towers. 2 a side then hope for 4 a side. I already own 2 lab subs with my old sound system. Wont fit in my Sprinter van. Thats why I want powered speakers. I have just enough room for 8 tops. No room for a amp rack and subs. Can you be more specific on Danley as there seems to be lots of options.

The past nights were only about 200 people. That is why what I had was OK. For larger I need more.

A pair of SM80 with TH Mini subs will outperform the prx and take up less space then 8 prx for sure. The SM80 also holds together really well over distance, which is your "throw" request. Light weight, easy to deploy on a tall crank up like a Global st132, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Gentry

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »

Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw. One division of our company offers standalone laser light shows for small fairs and festivals. Typically 500 to 1,000 people. Have used tripod mounted powered speakers. They can work just fine except the short/wide throw. Line array will be too large for our van and setup. My problem is most of my shows are in large fields bigger than a football field. With such a small crowd and with mostly families. I do not require that much sound. However I need long throws to reach them. Looking for solutions and ideas.

If you go the "hobbyist" route, as Dick put it, I'd think you'd need at least 4 835's and at least 8 818's if not 8 828's, assuming you're doing music and not speech. To me that would be for front stage alone, before even getting to the back with some fills. Putting the mains up a little higher would help some in the back, but at the cost of good coverage up close. I don't know, but to me, and I'm not trying to be harsh, but an event that size outdoors takes serious equipment to do right. Perhaps a bit more than you realize.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »

Bob,

Lets get back to the simple stuff for a moment. How loud do you want it to be, and at what distance?

- If you want to feel the bass at the other end of the football pitch, you're going to need a large-format system which will cost more than your van, and won't fit in.
- If you want the music to be clearly audible, an 835 over an 828 will probably do it
- If you want it to be very much background music at the far end, you could probably get away with an 835 a side.

For what it's worth, I used 4x 15"s and 2x 2x10"+HF cabinets and was hitting 85dBC-slow at 260' distance, which worked out as 103dBC peaks while tickling the limiters. I was raising my voice to talk to the person next to me.
I'd expect the 835+828 combo to be somewhere around that level.

For the sort of thing you're doing, that might well be enough. I'd want more headroom for live music, but for playback firing across a rugby stadium, it was enough. Going down the length of the pitch might lose 6dB. For reference, +6dB sounds like "half as loud again", while requiring a double in the number of speakers.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.