ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conferences and the music they play.  (Read 5197 times)

Al Rettich

Conferences and the music they play.
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »

Do you think these companies or A/V companies pay performance rights for using an artist's songs?

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: Conferences and the music they play.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »

Pretty general question, I'd like to think they do.  At least in the country I live in, public performance of copywritten music requires SOCAN licensing dues.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »

Do you think these companies or A/V companies pay performance rights for using an artist's songs?

I've understood it to be the venue's problem, unless that music leaves the building (when it becomes 'broadcast' or included in distributed recordings). In other words, it's covered by the venue's ASCAP/BMI licensing.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

David Buckley

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »

In my jurisdiction, walkin music is covered by the venue's background music licence.  Music that is "part of the show" would need to be separately licenced.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »

Just curious.  How is music played in a municipal park by a "tribute act" covered, especially acts that advertise themselves as a tribute to: " Insert A Well Known Band's Name "?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »

I have looked into this in Canada and here is what I found out.
When the room is rented, it is determined how many people are in attendance and if a DJ will be playing or a band.
SOCAN fees are levied based on that info and are included in the rental cost.

This does not include "mechanical rights" associated with music that is used, downloaded or otherwise, to connect to a video.
When the producer asks me to download a song for them to edit into a presentation video, I decline to get involved.
There is royalty free music available as well.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »

Just curious.  How is music played in a municipal park by a "tribute act" covered, especially acts that advertise themselves as a tribute to: " Insert A Well Known Band's Name "?

Legally it's the responsibility of the venue to comply with compulsory licensing.  There is no distinction in copyright law regarding public ownership or management of the venue.

In previous discussions of this we had a poster indicate that anyone/everyone benefiting from the public performance of copyrighted music is *potentially* liable for compliance but the general consensus is that ASCAP/BMI/SESAC typically pursue the facility's management.  As mentioned above most venues add a surcharge to rental fees if a DJ or live band is part of the event, and perhaps some do if ANY music is played to the audience, no matter how much or how little regardless of source...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »

Legally it's the responsibility of the venue to comply with compulsory licensing.  There is no distinction in copyright law regarding public ownership or management of the venue.

In previous discussions of this we had a poster indicate that anyone/everyone benefiting from the public performance of copyrighted music is *potentially* liable for compliance but the general consensus is that ASCAP/BMI/SESAC typically pursue the facility's management.  As mentioned above most venues add a surcharge to rental fees if a DJ or live band is part of the event, and perhaps some do if ANY music is played to the audience, no matter how much or how little regardless of source...

Thanks Tim!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.