ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Communication alternatives to Driverack 260?  (Read 7572 times)

David Allred

Communication alternatives to Driverack 260?
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »

Input to DR260 is serial only.  I currently use a USB to serial convertor > optical coupler > DB9 to XLR > snake >XLR to DB9 > DR260.

Can I communicate over Ethernet?  (I know that the RJ45 on the 260 is for updates only.)  Is there a way to get from Ethernet to serial?  My network is a laptop, Airport Express, 5-port Netgear switch, MR18, Venu360, Galaxy Tab A. 
Part of the set-up of the GUI of the 260 is assigning a com port.  Is that a problem?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Communication alternatives to Driverack 260?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »

Input to DR260 is serial only.  I currently use a USB to serial convertor > optical coupler > DB9 to XLR > snake >XLR to DB9 > DR260.

Can I communicate over Ethernet?  (I know that the RJ45 on the 260 is for updates only.)  Is there a way to get from Ethernet to serial?  My network is a laptop, Airport Express, 5-port Netgear switch, MR18, Venu360, Galaxy Tab A. 
Part of the set-up of the GUI of the 260 is assigning a com port.  Is that a problem?
Ethernet to serial servers exist.  I have used one of these at the day job and it worked adequately - you install a driver on your computer that presents a COM port to the machine.  I haven't tried it specifically with the DR260, but I don't anticipate trouble.

https://www.perle.com/products/serial-to-ethernet.shtml?gclid=CJrvm-eTidUCFQY0aQodKfkGTA

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »

Ethernet to serial servers exist.  I have used one of these at the day job and it worked adequately - you install a driver on your computer that presents a COM port to the machine.  I haven't tried it specifically with the DR260, but I don't anticipate trouble.

https://www.perle.com/products/serial-to-ethernet.shtml?gclid=CJrvm-eTidUCFQY0aQodKfkGTA

That unit lists for about $180.  Found a few on Ebay in the $80-100 range (used / repaired / other).  Even at that price range I would still just run a mic cable.  I found these in the $20-25 range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-/252639743882?hash=item3ad2808f8a:g:Wi0AAOSwux5YLU3e
Is it functionally (for my needs) the same as the Perle?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

That unit lists for about $180.  Found a few on Ebay in the $80-100 range (used / repaired / other).  Even at that price range I would still just run a mic cable.  I found these in the $20-25 range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-/252639743882?hash=item3ad2808f8a:g:Wi0AAOSwux5YLU3e
Is it functionally (for my needs) the same as the Perle?
Well, the devil is in the drivers.  This EBay listing doesn't indicate how you drive it from your PC or what operating systems are supported.  Modern operating systems make it harder to install drivers for devices (a good thing) -  requiring them to be signed and registered with MS.  If this device doesn't have signed drivers, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it installed, and future Windows updates may break it.

If this product has good drivers then I think it would probably work, but I have a suspicion that you're better off spending $80 - $100 on a name brand unit with good driver support.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »

How much time and effort are you willing to spend on this?  Can it be done? Yes.  However, when you start putting things like this together, it can quickly become a house of cards.  An update on your computer could suddenly render your solution broken, needing repairs at the worst possible time. 

It may make more sense to sell off the DriveRack 260 and pick up another Venue360.  When time is taken into account, you're probably coming out ahead that way.
Brian Jojade

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

I used to use the Serial to USB cable -> Belkin USB Network Hub -> Ethernet Cable to Router -> Done.
I think I still have one of the Belkin USB hubs, PM me if you're interested....very cheap.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »

How much time and effort are you willing to spend on this?  Can it be done? Yes.  However, when you start putting things like this together, it can quickly become a house of cards.  An update on your computer could suddenly render your solution broken, needing repairs at the worst possible time. 

It may make more sense to sell off the DriveRack 260 and pick up another Venue360.  When time is taken into account, you're probably coming out ahead that way.
^ like.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »

I used to use the Serial to USB cable -> Belkin USB Network Hub -> Ethernet Cable to Router -> Done.
I think I still have one of the Belkin USB hubs, PM me if you're interested....very cheap.

So... the USB network Hub assigns the IP address to the 260?
And my routing would be:
1) Laptop Ethernet (or wifi through router) out to Ethernet switch.
2) Ethernet switch to USB network hub.
3) Hub to USB/serial convertor.
4) Convertor to 260.
???

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »

While it has been a few years since I have had any Driveracks, I use to use both wired and wireless rs232 serial servers from Digi International without problems with both the 480 and 260 series
Doug UJ.

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »

I need to open this back up.  I bought a used serial to USB hub.  I was successful in communicating with DR260 thru the hub, but soon (varying times after connection, 5 - 30 secs) the Driveware application would shut down (with the accompanying sound of a USB devise being plugged or unplugged).  A C++ runtime failure message would pop up, saying that it forced the ap to close.  This implies a conflict involving the Driveware, but the ding-dong sound still continues periodically (30 secs to 1 min, typ) like the USB is breaking and remaking with the Driveware never opened.
After many attempts at Youtube and computer forum post suggestions to fix and downloading the latest and greatest of everything, I gave up and began researching direct ethernet to serial conversion as was suggested here as a option.

I then had these thoughts.   
1)  The 260 requires a null modem cable from computer to 260, and from USB - serial converter to 260.  Is it possible that I need a straight thru cable, now that it is in a network?
2)  That thought lead to this.  I am using the simple (3-wire) connection since I ran thru a snake.  Do I now possibly need the full handshake connection cable?
3)  Or a combination of the above?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.