ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody using the Li-Ion batteries in Shure wireless?  (Read 9655 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Anybody using the Li-Ion batteries in Shure wireless?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

Does anyone have links to good Li-Ion rechargeable AA batteries? I didn’t know they made Li-Ion rechargeable AA batteries in 1.5v versions. Are they better for wireless mics then NiMH rechargeable? I am tired of how many AA alkaline batteries we go thru for each musical.

Horizonbattery.com

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:01 PM »

Horizonbattery.com

I didn’t see any Li-Ion rechargeable AA batteries there, only a lot of NiMH.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »

I didn’t see any Li-Ion rechargeable AA batteries there, only a lot of NiMH.

Oops, yep, you're right.  I'm so used to everything being Li-Ion these days that I completely spaced on that one.  Sorry.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »

This appears to be the only li-ion 1.5v aa:

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-li-battery-LEDflashlight-4SlotsUSB-SmartCharger/dp/B00SXV9Z4U/?tag=metaefficient-20

Apparently they are 3.7v cells with internal electronics to make them output 1.5v.  I believe they charge via a USB charger so probably not that useful for production work.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:55 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-li-battery-LEDflashlight-4SlotsUSB-SmartCharger/dp/B00SXV9Z4U/?tag=metaefficient-20

Apparently they are 3.7v cells with internal electronics to make them output 1.5v.  I believe they charge via a USB charger so probably not that useful for production work.

I have thought that Li-Ion would be better for wireless but maybe not, I don’t know enough about the different types of batteries to know what may be better. From what I have read it seems like the new NiMH are much better than they used to be. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it.

I know that the battery management with standard alkaline batteries is not too hard trying to keep new and old apart. I just don’t like throwing out that many batteries. I use a bunch for flashlights but I don’t need as many as we windup let with after a show. I try to give them away but not too many people want them. The musical I am doing this week I will probably go thru at least 280 alkaline batteries. 

The battery management with rechargeable would be a little bit more of a challenge. We would probably need about 120 batteries and the ability to charge 60 at a time. I will have to figure out how that works out price wise. I have suggested a bunch of times that we get about 8 of them and try them out. But it always gets forgotten till we are about to do another musical. 

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »

There are many - here is a site for them and the charger - On Katy Perry we had a rack of 10 of these chargers - my favorite is this:

ALC 161 - version II
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Steven Cohen

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »

We have been using Shure ULXDs with Shure SB900a Li-Ion Batteries, and Shure SB200 chargers for about a year now without any issues. One nice added feature of using Shure batteries and chargers is that there is less wear and tear on the transmitters. The batteries do not have to be removed to be charged, one simply places the transmitter in the charger when finished for the night. I think this is an advantage over buying aftermarket batteries. Its also nice having 10+ hours run time and precise battery level feedback. Lastly, I suspect that when a rider states that new wireless batteries must be used for each performance, it will be easier to defend a purpose built Shure solution, rather than an aftermarket solution.

Steve

How are they holding up over time?

With the wireless repack I have to buy about 8 channels of wireless and was thinking about going to the rechargeables. Just wanted to hear from those folks who have been using them for a year+ and see how they're holding up.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

It should be noted that the Shure SBC800-US only charges batteries when removed from the transmitters. The model Steve mentioned, the SBC200-US, allows you to charge the batteries while still installed in the transmitters. When you order it, you need just one SBC200-US (to give you the AC power supply; this will run about $230), and then order SBC200 (no -US; it doesn't have a power supply), which will be about $180. The SBC200 then "side cars" onto the SBC200-US, so you can have up to 4 units (8 charging points) from one AC connection.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »

There are many - here is a site for them and the charger - On Katy Perry we had a rack of 10 of these chargers - my favorite is this:

ALC 161 - version II

Those are NiMH, not Li-Ion.  Great products though, I've used them as well.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »

I have Shure SB900's for my ULXD rack, I think I have a total of 24 batteries. I had one failure out of the box, which was promptly taken care of, but otherwise not a single issue. The batteries last a long time on a charge, the countdown timer for battery level is great, and not having to open the transmitter to charge or change batteries is awesome (I use the SBC200's, not the 800).

I love the Shure batteries. I don't have a ton of half-dead batteries go to waste (that I need to find a place for), I don't have to carry a massive number of batteries on the road, and I don't have to change batteries halfway through a long show. Yes, it's a fairly significant cost upfront, but it eliminates the ongoing cost and hassle of using AA's. I would never go back to using "regular" batteries.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 25 queries.