ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences of chinese fixtures vs Big Name  (Read 10601 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Differences of chinese fixtures vs Big Name
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »

I use a COB par (LEDJ brand from the UK) that is made in China that is one of the best led lights I have ever seen. it's rugged, well made and replaced some lights in my inventory from one of the above named manufacturers.

Which one? The 36w unit?

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »

My experience with eight cheap fixtures - the red diodes in various sections on the circuit board would start to flicker and go out.  Under warranty, and until the seller cut us off, we went through 21 cans - and before we got cut off, we still had fixtures failing. No one ever did a failure analysis - but it seemed either bad soldering or a batch of bad red diodes. YMMV. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »

That's a pretty bad run Frank.

Across 40 disco/par led lights (maybe ~4000 leds in all?) I think I have three failed leds and a couple of blinky ones. Confined to two fixtures.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »

That's a pretty bad run Frank.

Across 40 disco/par led lights (maybe ~4000 leds in all?) I think I have three failed leds and a couple of blinky ones. Confined to two fixtures.

Yeah, Lyle.  I'm just lucky that way.  I didn't buy them, just got saddled with them.  Sometimes you just have to put your experiences on the fact pile, and move on.

Graham Spice

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »

I use a COB par (LEDJ brand from the UK) that is made in China that is one of the best led lights I have ever seen. it's rugged, well made and replaced some lights in my inventory from one of the above named manufacturers.
I'd like to see a link on these fixtures, por favor

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »

I have the LEDJ SLIMLINE 1T36 fixtures in black housing. The have a 60° beam spread but a narrow lens that screws on securely is included. We use them as up lights and also for small stage washes.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »

I have 8 X Blizzard Q12's that I got for their sheer lumen value - they are crazy bright. I usually use them along with some FX for average size stages. I also have a set of 4 x no name chinese cheapies that I use for very small stages - they are lighter and easier to transport too. They are less bright but still quite effective.
However, I can honestly say that the Chinese lamps which cost $40 each dim more smoothly than the Blizzards which cost me almost $300 each. Go figure......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »

However, I can honestly say that the Chinese lamps which cost $40 each dim more smoothly than the Blizzards which cost me almost $300 each. Go figure......

It can really be a mixed bag sometimes!  I'm personally waiting for an RGBAW+UV COB Par from anybody, though the only one I know to exist is Generic Chinese, not that cheap, and even the company's own video makes it look pretty iffy... 

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »

The obvious first question is regarding a possible direct from China equivalent?  I can't find one, and, really, in my opinion, the quality of lighting isn't even close between the Elation and any of the Chinese direct ones I've seen. 

Alternative fixture at similar price point is the Blizzard Tournado or the Toughpars.  Without seeing them, I'm guessing the quality of lighting is going to be pretty much the same. 

Ideas?

When we first put together our LED light rig we purchased 32 BeCen 429 7 x 10 LEDs.  We had problems at first, lights worked then they didn't, then they did.  Finally, we replaced all of the electrical cable and since then we have not had a single light fail.  We now use these for smaller festivals and local shows that can afford to pay what it cost to rent our main rig.

Our main rig is now Martin Rush, some Martin Mac 600NTs, Martin Mac 250 and some Blizzards.  The build quality on the Martin is much better then the BeCen lights were.  It also makes a different in what your budget is and where you are going with you rig as far as productions.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »

I have the LEDJ SLIMLINE 1T36 fixtures in black housing. The have a 60° beam spread but a narrow lens that screws on securely is included. We use them as up lights and also for small stage washes.

I've been temped to try this light like yours. I just wish it had amber!
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-27090?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&scid=scplp555-27090&sc_intid=555-27090&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwevLBRCGARIsAKnAJvcXiQnOC7LCJla63JBAXDCs0iujQ1sJuJWRSIBNYCu9AGU3apdaCUAaAuKwEALw_wcB

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.