ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences of chinese fixtures vs Big Name  (Read 10604 times)

Scott Hofmann

Re: Differences of chinese fixtures vs Big Name
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »

I've been temped to try this light like yours. I just wish it had amber!
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-27090?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&scid=scplp555-27090&sc_intid=555-27090&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwevLBRCGARIsAKnAJvcXiQnOC7LCJla63JBAXDCs0iujQ1sJuJWRSIBNYCu9AGU3apdaCUAaAuKwEALw_wcB

I tried a couple of the MCM units you reference about a year ago and returned them because of color fringing around the outside of the beam of light. Tried to rationalize it, because otherwise they were quite good, but in the end it just wasn't acceptable.
Scott Hofmann

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »

...but in the end it just wasn't acceptable.

And that I think is at the center of the whole debate - what's your definition of acceptable?  If all you need is some generic eye candy, truss warmers, or basic wash lights for a small gig at a bar these very cheap fixtures can usually get by just fine.  It's when you start getting into more demanding applications where things like flicker-free, even field (with no fringing), true IP65, better color reproduction, smooth dimming, etc., become important and thus worth the much higher purchase price of the higher-end name brand fixtures.  A lot of it comes down to the business end of it too - why pay 3-4x the cost of a generic fixture for quality that I might only need once or twice a year...especially when buying fixtures by the dozen?   

Steve Cook

• Iowa City, IA
    • Steve Cook Sound
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »

A lot of it comes down to the business end of it too - why pay 3-4x the cost of a generic fixture for quality that I might only need once or twice a year...especially when buying fixtures by the dozen?   
[/quote]

Great discussion, folks.  I bought 20 of the SixPar 200IP.  Cried once.  But, each time they have gone out, I smile and know I made the right choice for my situation. 

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

I have 8 X Blizzard Q12's that I got for their sheer lumen value - they are crazy bright. I usually use them along with some FX for average size stages. I also have a set of 4 x no name chinese cheapies that I use for very small stages - they are lighter and easier to transport too. They are less bright but still quite effective.
However, I can honestly say that the Chinese lamps which cost $40 each dim more smoothly than the Blizzards which cost me almost $300 each. Go figure......

I have 12 Q12A's and have noticed the dimming is pretty choppy.  I also have 8 Blizzard RokBox's.  They have a setting which allows you to set the dimming bit depth for super smooth dimming.  After getting them I asked a Blizzard factory rep how to make the Q12's dim like the RokBox.  He said the Q12's couldn't do that.

The Q12's are crazy bright, but the RokBox is insanely bright.  I'd say 1 RokBox is about equal to 2 to 3 Q12's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.