ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting audio from a mixer into a phone  (Read 38264 times)

Mark Schneider

Getting audio from a mixer into a phone
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »

I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Getting audio from a mixer into a phone
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

It is possible, you need a TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) plug wired to the correct pin outs to use the external mic input, then you will need to pad the signal level down coming from the mixers aux output.
I did it with an iPhone, taking a feed from my mixer to send audio to the phone that was streaming the event on Facebook Live.
You can find the pinouts for the headphone jack on line and make the cable or buy an off the shelf adapter.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »

I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

From what I understand, since Android 5.0 You have the ability to connect a usb sound card directly to the device.

LonnieBedell

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:59:56 PM »

I know for the iphone there has to be a specific resistance presented to the 1/8" jack connections before the mic input is switched over from being one of the headphone outs.

Speed Daemon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

From what I understand, since Android 5.0 You have the ability to connect a usb sound card directly to the device.
Something like an Irig Pro might work.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-irig-pro-i-o?rNtt=irig%20pro&index=4

Perhaps a Bluetooth interface?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »

I know for the iphone there has to be a specific resistance presented to the 1/8" jack connections before the mic input is switched over from being one of the headphone outs.

Here is the pin out for the four conductor head phone jack, it's the same for most Android phones as well.

1    Tip             Left audio
2    Ring        Right audio
3    Ring             Common/Ground
4    Sleeve     Microphone

The iPhone mic source impedance spec is 1600 ohms, in the general range of that seems to work.

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »

I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.

I have one of these:

http://tascam.com/product/ixz/overview/

and it works with my Android tablet.  I bought it for phantom supply for a measurement mic.  Specs say it is good up to +2dBu on the XLR input.  Seems like you should be able to turn down the AUX out to make them behave.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »

This box is specifically designed to interface an input and an output from a cell phone
http://www.jkaudio.com/daptor2.htm

or

This cable directly connects to an iPhone and provides a DC coupled impedance corrected 200 ohm mic input and a low impedance headphone output.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813384-REG/Sescom_IPHONE_MIC_1RA_1_iPhone_iPod_iPad_TRRS_to.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:11:29 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mark Schneider

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »

I've encountered a strange problem...  I purchased a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRRS adapter (https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Powered-Microphone-Adapter-IP-MIC6/dp/B00EOYWXD0)...

I connected it to an aux output on the mixer, going into my Galaxy S5 phone.  Audio gets the phone when I record video, HOWEVER, it's very quiet.  I have the aux output cranked to full, and it's still quiet.  It's a clean signal, no distortion. 

I would have expected the aux out to be much to loud, since it's line level, and I would have assumed the phone would be looking for a mic level signal.  I tried a few other outputs just to confirm, and it's the same with all of them, very quiet signal.

I am dumbfounded by this, I expected the exact opposite, a signal coming in too hot.

Any ideas what's going on?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

I've encountered a strange problem...  I purchased a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRRS adapter (https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Powered-Microphone-Adapter-IP-MIC6/dp/B00EOYWXD0)...

I connected it to an aux output on the mixer, going into my Galaxy S5 phone.  Audio gets the phone when I record video, HOWEVER, it's very quiet.  I have the aux output cranked to full, and it's still quiet.  It's a clean signal, no distortion. 

I would have expected the aux out to be much to loud, since it's line level, and I would have assumed the phone would be looking for a mic level signal.  I tried a few other outputs just to confirm, and it's the same with all of them, very quiet signal.

I am dumbfounded by this, I expected the exact opposite, a signal coming in too hot.

Any ideas what's going on?

You had all this advice and you went and purchased the cheapest piece of wire with two connectors on it that you could, then wonder why it doesn't work.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.