ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting audio from a mixer into a phone  (Read 38267 times)

Mark Schneider

Getting audio from a mixer into a phone
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »

I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Getting audio from a mixer into a phone
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

It is possible, you need a TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) plug wired to the correct pin outs to use the external mic input, then you will need to pad the signal level down coming from the mixers aux output.
I did it with an iPhone, taking a feed from my mixer to send audio to the phone that was streaming the event on Facebook Live.
You can find the pinouts for the headphone jack on line and make the cable or buy an off the shelf adapter.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »

I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

From what I understand, since Android 5.0 You have the ability to connect a usb sound card directly to the device.

LonnieBedell

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:59:56 PM »

I know for the iphone there has to be a specific resistance presented to the 1/8" jack connections before the mic input is switched over from being one of the headphone outs.

Speed Daemon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

From what I understand, since Android 5.0 You have the ability to connect a usb sound card directly to the device.
Something like an Irig Pro might work.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-irig-pro-i-o?rNtt=irig%20pro&index=4

Perhaps a Bluetooth interface?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »

I know for the iphone there has to be a specific resistance presented to the 1/8" jack connections before the mic input is switched over from being one of the headphone outs.

Here is the pin out for the four conductor head phone jack, it's the same for most Android phones as well.

1    Tip             Left audio
2    Ring        Right audio
3    Ring             Common/Ground
4    Sleeve     Microphone

The iPhone mic source impedance spec is 1600 ohms, in the general range of that seems to work.

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »

I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.

I have one of these:

http://tascam.com/product/ixz/overview/

and it works with my Android tablet.  I bought it for phantom supply for a measurement mic.  Specs say it is good up to +2dBu on the XLR input.  Seems like you should be able to turn down the AUX out to make them behave.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »

This box is specifically designed to interface an input and an output from a cell phone
http://www.jkaudio.com/daptor2.htm

or

This cable directly connects to an iPhone and provides a DC coupled impedance corrected 200 ohm mic input and a low impedance headphone output.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813384-REG/Sescom_IPHONE_MIC_1RA_1_iPhone_iPod_iPad_TRRS_to.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:11:29 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mark Schneider

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »

I've encountered a strange problem...  I purchased a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRRS adapter (https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Powered-Microphone-Adapter-IP-MIC6/dp/B00EOYWXD0)...

I connected it to an aux output on the mixer, going into my Galaxy S5 phone.  Audio gets the phone when I record video, HOWEVER, it's very quiet.  I have the aux output cranked to full, and it's still quiet.  It's a clean signal, no distortion. 

I would have expected the aux out to be much to loud, since it's line level, and I would have assumed the phone would be looking for a mic level signal.  I tried a few other outputs just to confirm, and it's the same with all of them, very quiet signal.

I am dumbfounded by this, I expected the exact opposite, a signal coming in too hot.

Any ideas what's going on?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

I've encountered a strange problem...  I purchased a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRRS adapter (https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Powered-Microphone-Adapter-IP-MIC6/dp/B00EOYWXD0)...

I connected it to an aux output on the mixer, going into my Galaxy S5 phone.  Audio gets the phone when I record video, HOWEVER, it's very quiet.  I have the aux output cranked to full, and it's still quiet.  It's a clean signal, no distortion. 

I would have expected the aux out to be much to loud, since it's line level, and I would have assumed the phone would be looking for a mic level signal.  I tried a few other outputs just to confirm, and it's the same with all of them, very quiet signal.

I am dumbfounded by this, I expected the exact opposite, a signal coming in too hot.

Any ideas what's going on?

You had all this advice and you went and purchased the cheapest piece of wire with two connectors on it that you could, then wonder why it doesn't work.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »

What type of patch cable are you using between the mixer and the adapter cable, is it a two conductor shielded with a TRS plug or a single conductor shielded with a TS plug. What ever you used the first time try the other.

Maybe the built in amplifier is the issue.

Mark Schneider

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 09:04:45 PM »

You had all this advice and you went and purchased the cheapest piece of wire with two connectors on it that you could, then wonder why it doesn't work.

I purchased the adapter after the 1st 5 responses, before the replys listing other possible gear.  Besides, why not start cheap and see if it works before investing in something more.

What I don't understand is why a mic level input (or so I would think the Galaxy would be) produces a signal too quiet when fed a line level signal.  That doesn't make sense to me.  What am I missing about that?

Mark Schneider

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »

What type of patch cable are you using between the mixer and the adapter cable, is it a two conductor shielded with a TRS plug or a single conductor shielded with a TS plug.

I actually tried both, with the same results for either.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:34:06 PM »

I purchased the adapter after the 1st 5 responses, before the replys listing other possible gear.  Besides, why not start cheap and see if it works before investing in something more.

What I don't understand is why a mic level input (or so I would think the Galaxy would be) produces a signal too quiet when fed a line level signal.  That doesn't make sense to me.  What am I missing about that?

First, buy once, cry once.  Who knows what the impedance is of the input of the phone.  That just screams for a matching network between the two inputs.

It's not just about the voltage, though this adapter could simply be placing audio on the wrong pin.  Some gross impedance mismatch could be the root of the problem.

What I am sure of is the active devices suggested have a much better chance of working.

Android and IoS devices both support external interfaces in their current versions.  This would be the path I would take if I just had to record audio on a phone.  A laptop with a USB to balanced input is a much better choice.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Speed Daemon

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »

First, buy once, cry once.  Who knows what the impedance is of the input of the phone.  That just screams for a matching network between the two inputs.

It's not just about the voltage, though this adapter could simply be placing audio on the wrong pin.  Some gross impedance mismatch could be the root of the problem.

What I am sure of is the active devices suggested have a much better chance of working.

Android and IoS devices both support external interfaces in their current versions.  This would be the path I would take if I just had to record audio on a phone.  A laptop with a USB to balanced input is a much better choice.
(emphasis mine) And rather than use either a laptop or a phone as the camera, why not get a real video camera with XLR audio inputs? That's pretty much what I use on one of my gigs. Not only does that give the pro audio connectors and levels, it eliminates any time delay between audio and video.

I looked into the whole S5 "microphone" input and found that it was really a multipurpose (think GPIO) pinout. It has a phantom voltage of 2.3V, and that has to be dropped to 1V by just the right DC resistance (not impedance), or else the input doesn't process any audio. By default it's a make-or-break switch that can be used as another button to push. So the little IC inside the phone that the 3.5mm jack plugs into is somewhat clever. To do it right, a circuit that provides the correct voltage drop, removes the phantom voltage from the audio gear, and provides whatever audio level that the phone requires is what is needed. A job for a fairly complex circuit IMO.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 12:28:36 AM »

(emphasis mine) And rather than use either a laptop or a phone as the camera, why not get a real video camera with XLR audio inputs? That's pretty much what I use on one of my gigs. Not only does that give the pro audio connectors and levels, it eliminates any time delay between audio and video.

I looked into the whole S5 "microphone" input and found that it was really a multipurpose (think GPIO) pinout. It has a phantom voltage of 2.3V, and that has to be dropped to 1V by just the right DC resistance (not impedance), or else the input doesn't process any audio. By default it's a make-or-break switch that can be used as another button to push. So the little IC inside the phone that the 3.5mm jack plugs into is somewhat clever. To do it right, a circuit that provides the correct voltage drop, removes the phantom voltage from the audio gear, and provides whatever audio level that the phone requires is what is needed. A job for a fairly complex circuit IMO.

So in addition to a proper impedance match you need a pull down resistor just to get the port in audio mode.

Interesting info Bill.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Speed Daemon

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »

So in addition to a proper impedance match you need a pull down resistor just to get the port in audio mode.

Interesting info Bill.
Thanks Scott, it didn't register right away, but the talk about using TRRS reminded me of something:

http://www.jensign.com/S4Jack/

A while ago I came across an ad for an "extra button" for Android phones that used the headphone jack, and an app to program the button that was at the end of a TRRS plug. Had no need for the thing myself, but...

Another reminder that, as electronics become more sophisticated, that only paying attention to the mechanics of getting the right adapter cable simply isn't enough. Can't just assume that some random piece of consumer electronics will wire right into a pro audio system in turnkey fashion.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.