ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell Phone Electrocution  (Read 13604 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Cell Phone Electrocution
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »

...she was in the bathtub, and either plugged her phone in or simply grabbed her phone that was already plugged in.

With respect to the deceased and the family, I have kept quiet on this thread.  However, parents and teachers need to be reminded of this.

Children should be taught that they should NEVER put any electrical wire, or any device attached to an electrical wire, into a bathtub, shower, or pool. 

-Dennis

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »

With respect to the deceased and the family, I have kept quiet on this thread.  However, parents and teachers need to be reminded of this.
-Dennis

"Her family wants to spread a message of awareness, and to teach children the power of electricity and to not plug your phones in near water."

In this particular case, the parents of the deceased girl have asked everyone to spread the warning about touching anything plugged into an electrical outlet while you're around water. So feel free to post this safety information everywhere you can.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:24:00 PM by Mike Sokol »

David Allred

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »

"Her family wants to spread a message of awareness, and to teach children the power of electricity and to not plug your phones in near water."

In this particular case, the parents of the deceased girl have asked everyone to spread the warning about touching anything plugged into an electrical outlet while you're around water. So feel free to post this safety information everywhere you can.

I think Dennis may have been referring to placing blame in a disrespectful manner that would be hurtful to the family.  A la Dan Akroyd's "Point / Counter Point" response to Jane Curtain.  I can see that.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »

And this is why you shouldn't buy a "cheap" cell phone charger.

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

David Buckley

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »

Just an update on the original story; I read somewhere that they have now officially confirmed the charger was on an extension cable, and that is what ended up in the tub.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »

I suppose I am optimistic in thinking we were well past the point of figuring out electricity and water don't mix.
It's a sad state of affairs when one can't be away from a phone long enough to take a bath...
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »

I am located 18 miles from where this tragic event occurred, so it has been in the local paper daily.  Though no official cause of death has been issued, it was confirmed that the young lady was using an extension cord to plug in her charger.  She even sent a picture of the charger plugged into the cord to her friend.  She may have pulled the extension cord into the bath tub. It was a fatal mistake.

I don't have information on whether the extension cord was plugged into a GFI outlet or not.  If I understand correctly, even though this was not a business, OSHA and other Federal agencies have investigated the accident.

Our hearts go out to her family and friends.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 11:17:27 PM »

Just an update on the original story; I read somewhere that they have now officially confirmed the charger was on an extension cable, and that is what ended up in the tub.

Sometimes my Digital Crystal Ball is right, and too often it's when the news is bad.

{soap box engaged}

These kinds of incidents are why various Codes, Standards, and Regulations exist and why it frustrates me to see our local builders associations oppose adoption of NFPA 70 Codes that might increase the price of a new home by less than 0.5%.  Considering that here $200K will buy you a new home in a decent neighborhood, we're not talking huge sums but they have the elected officials convinced that new home sales would evaporate.

{/soap box}

My home is getting a significant electrical upgrade/update soon and safety is driving reason - the nouns "FPE" and "Zinsco".  Both in the same house.  At least the existing wiring is all copper....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »

Even I put a GFCI outlet in my bathroom and kitchen (and laundry room).

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.