ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What the heck is this sound...?  (Read 4548 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
What the heck is this sound...?
« on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:42 PM »

A church I occasionally volunteer with experienced an audio problem today with their live stream.  They are using a 32 chnl Presonus (AI model); console only mixing, no IPAD.  One of the monitor sends is used for a podcast and to supply audio to a YouTube streaming service.  I was not there during this service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxbhb8PAAsw&feature=youtu.be

What the heck is that sound?  It was not in the house mix, only in the streaming audio.  The entire video has this audio problem with it.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
Re: What the heck is this sound...?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »

A church I occasionally volunteer with experienced an audio problem today with their live stream.  They are using a 32 chnl Presonus (AI model); console only mixing, no IPAD.  One of the monitor sends is used for a podcast and to supply audio to a YouTube streaming service.  I was not there during this service.

What the heck is that sound?  It was not in the house mix, only in the streaming audio.  The entire video has this audio problem with it.

Monitor send cable not plugged in all the way?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »

Monitor send cable not plugged in all the way?

Thanks for the reply..

I'm not sure, but I kind of doubt it.  The board and all connections are always setup; once we got it installed, there was no need to disconnect/re-connect anything to it.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:19:34 AM »

It almost kind-of sounds like you're running XLR outputs into a 1/8" jack input on a camcorder, which is expecting mic levels, and is also supplying some bias voltage for the mic capsules.

It's a distorted mess, but I think there's some correlation between what's happening on-stage and the sound.

What's the exact signal chain used, please?
Any problems like this before?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:34:35 AM »

It sounds like a completely distorted audio signal. Then I think it also sounds like a feedback loop of a delay FX. Any chance that you created a loop with the aux output/return and the delay sends/return?
The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »

It almost kind-of sounds like you're running XLR outputs into a 1/8" jack input on a camcorder, which is expecting mic levels, and is also supplying some bias voltage for the mic capsules.

It's a distorted mess, but I think there's some correlation between what's happening on-stage and the sound.

Chris

It's certainly distorted, but it doesn't sound like an audio signal... at least one that follows their program.  Even when the girl is just talking, the distortion/noise is nearly the same as when their program started.  They have an audio feed from a Mac (backing tracks and break music), though, there was no mention of this noise in their FOH (which I think rules out a problem with any source material).

Signal path is:  mics/MAC --> presonus board (--> monitor sends), (--> FOH) --> FOH speakers.

It sounds like a completely distorted audio signal. Then I think it also sounds like a feedback loop of a delay FX. Any chance that you created a loop with the aux output/return and the delay sends/return?

Thought that as well, but the noise continues on past their service; if it was a feedback loop, it appears to run for infinity.  I'm not sure what they have setup for FX.  When I was there on a regular basis, it was just reverb and little delay; all handled "internally", i.e. no returns to spare subgroups.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:55:57 AM »

Chris

Good thought.  They do have an audio feed into their camera (from one of the monitor sends), however they haven't used that feed in months.  The audio (for their streaming) comes from a different monitor send.  Perhaps someone used a different audio feed for YouTube (I'm not sure if that's even possible).  Though, the audio feed to the camera (when it was last used) ran consistently 12-18db below -0- (as referenced on the camera).  I may need to stop by and take a look.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

If you don't already have it, perhaps an isolation transformer on the feed?
I always protect my desk with one if connecting to a non-pro input on other gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »

I would connect a powered speaker to the output used for the stream to see if the problem goes or stays.  then you know which way to go to the next stop-gap.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »

Start with a hard reset of that Presonus.  Plug something into that monitor out and see what you get.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.