ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover point for Mackie SRM450 V1  (Read 3933 times)

Theo White

Crossover point for Mackie SRM450 V1
« on: July 01, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »

I have a technical question re the SRM450 V1 monitor.  I plan to use this monitor in a pair as mains and with a pair of small folded horn subs for an outdoor event.  I would like to know what is the optimal high pass crossover frequency for the SRM450's when used in this scenario.

Thanks,

Theo

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Crossover point for Mackie SRM450 V1
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »

I have a technical question re the SRM450 V1 monitor.  I plan to use this monitor in a pair as mains and with a pair of small folded horn subs for an outdoor event.  I would like to know what is the optimal high pass crossover frequency for the SRM450's when used in this scenario.

Thanks,

Theo

Theo, the optimal frequency depends more on the subs used more than the SRM450's.  There can be a lot of variables including how loud the system is played and even the type of music involved.  A lot (but not all) folded horns aren't very smooth above 100Hz.  The bigger problem is that most "small" folded horn don't go very low either.  They just don't have a long enough throat or large enough mouth to produce the frequencies desired.  Again this is in general and not specific to a particular product.  Results will vary!

More specifically and to answer your question, I would listen to frequencies between 75Hz and 100Hz playing at the levels you expect to use.  Remember that raising the level of the subs effectively raises what ever crossover frequency has been chosen.  An "electrical" crossover frequency of 75Hz can become a "physical" 100Hz due to boosting the levels to the subs over the levels of the SRM450's.  One suggestion: place the subs side by side in the center between the SRM's.  This allows the subs to couple and you may gain some level and an increase in low frequency response.

Theo White

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »

Theo, the optimal frequency depends more on the subs used more than the SRM450's.  There can be a lot of variables including how loud the system is played and even the type of music involved.  A lot (but not all) folded horns aren't very smooth above 100Hz.  The bigger problem is that most "small" folded horn don't go very low either.  They just don't have a long enough throat or large enough mouth to produce the frequencies desired.  Again this is in general and not specific to a particular product.  Results will vary!

More specifically and to answer your question, I would listen to frequencies between 75Hz and 100Hz playing at the levels you expect to use.  Remember that raising the level of the subs effectively raises what ever crossover frequency has been chosen.  An "electrical" crossover frequency of 75Hz can become a "physical" 100Hz due to boosting the levels to the subs over the levels of the SRM450's.  One suggestion: place the subs side by side in the center between the SRM's.  This allows the subs to couple and you may gain some level and an increase in low frequency response.

Yeah, my plan was to center cluster the subs.  I don't know much about them other than they appear to be a Bill Fitzmaurice design and they're loaded with Lab 12s.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:07:04 PM by Theo White »

John Ferreira

Crossover point for Mackie SRM450 V1
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »

The SRM 450 v1 have the matching subs SW1501, and they are crossed at 120Hz, non adjustable. I have two pairs of tops, and two pairs of subs.
John Ferreira

John Ferreira

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »

PS Also, the manual is on line at their website. 
John Ferreira

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »

Thanks,

Theo
BF gives recommended settings for his boxes on his sight?  I think he does.
Post on his forum and he will probably even give you your answer.

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »

Used sm 450 v1 's full range a bunch back in the day.  If it were me, I would center cluster, horn throats together assuming a scoop shape.  I'd start at about 70 and listen while slowly sweeping up.  Use program material that has a lot of detailed bass and kick in it.  My guess is you'll find a sweet spot in the 70 to 100 range.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.