ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Home lighting issues, looking for a solution.  (Read 2327 times)

Richard O'Carroll

DMX Home lighting issues, looking for a solution.
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »

Hello,

I am using dmx for some room lighting in my home, and I have managed to make it work, but I am experiencing several issues making it work the way I want it to work.

So, first, I am using all 12v with 350W power supply, connected to a 24 channel dmx decoder, which is driven by the Steven B DIY USB DMX Interface (RS485 USB converter) as my controller and Freestyler for the software.

I am looking for a solution that allows me to have 24/7 access to the lighting without the need to reset anything. I have a Kindle Fire mounted by my door that is meant to serve as a "light switch", and would also like to be able to use a second device as well such as a phone or an additional unmounted Kindle Fire.

Issues I have run into so far are:

1: Freestyler becomes unresponsive sporadically, forcing me to have to unplug the RS485, shut down freestyler, plug it all back in and turn it all back on. This is extremely frustrating, and it has happened within less than an hour of resetting it all, and has occasionally lasted several days. But ultimately, it all freezes at some point, requiring me to go into the closet and reset everything.

I am not sure if it is Freestyler, my laptop (running Windows XP Home) or the RS485 that is causing the freezes.

2: Using Freestyler, I have the mobile app installed on both the Kindle Fire and my phone. It turns out however that Freestyler only allows a single connection from a mobile device, which would require me to manually log out of the wall mounted tablet before I could use the unmounted one... I need something that will allow me to connect multiple devices simultaneously in order to control the lighting scenes.

To overcome this, I have installed remote desktop apps and tried doing it that way, but they keep getting disconnected, and I have to sit there and spend more than a minute logging back in, and sometimes the RD has entirely disconnected from the laptop. And of course, sometimes Freestyler has frozen even if I do get in.

Ugh... It is very frustrating.

So, I am trying to find a cheap as possible solution for my problem. I am looking at the DMXKing controller. Not sure if that will prevent the freezing.

I am also looking for DMX software that will allow reliable, continuous, multiple connections via mobile devices.

Any chance that such a solution exists for my problems?

Thanks!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: DMX Home lighting issues, looking for a solution.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: DMX Home lighting issues, looking for a solution.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.