ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a 12' wide display. Whats better, TV array or LED panels?  (Read 10243 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

So I'm looking at doing away with our projectors and replacing them with a direct view display. The space I have available holds our 12' wide projection screens pretty comfortably. I could probably go 13.5' wide at the largest and around 8' tall if needed, but the width is the dimension I'm trying to fill. I would want at least 12' wide.

So at this size which technology is the most cost-effective? A TV array or LED wall? My closest viewers are pretty close. Like 20' away. Farthest viewer is 100' ish. Indoors, and I have some lighting spill to worry about but no direct sunlight hits the display area. I will also say that we are going 4k in the future so if it supports that it will be a bonus.

Teach an audio dog about big displays!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Cailen Waddell

Re: I need a 12' wide display. Whats better, TV array or LED panels?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »

How much money do you have?  Small pitch (the distance between pixels) displays are expensive.  2.5mm pitch is about right to not be visible at 20'. But that's barely more than 720p at 12'.  4K is about a 1mm pitch.  That's real expensive....  I mean really really expensive. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »

So I'm looking at doing away with our projectors and replacing them with a direct view display. The space I have available holds our 12' wide projection screens pretty comfortably. I could probably go 13.5' wide at the largest and around 8' tall if needed, but the width is the dimension I'm trying to fill. I would want at least 12' wide.

So at this size which technology is the most cost-effective? A TV array or LED wall? My closest viewers are pretty close. Like 20' away. Farthest viewer is 100' ish. Indoors, and I have some lighting spill to worry about but no direct sunlight hits the display area. I will also say that we are going 4k in the future so if it supports that it will be a bonus.

Teach an audio dog about big displays!
Why are you getting away from the projectors?
As noted, good LED displays are costly and if you are in doors, you don't need the brightness available on LEDs.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »

We're not cheap, but we're not going to spend 40k per display (I need 2) for this either. I'm hoping to add this in to a proposal for new front wash lighting. Our current geometry means that there will be some spill onto the displays if we are lighting things properly. So right now, I can either have a good looking projection screen, or a well-lit stage, but not both at the same time :-/

I'll be quick to give up 4K if I need to. What I want is direct view first, 12' width 2nd, and everything else 3rd....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »

Why are you getting away from the projectors?
As noted, good LED displays are costly and if you are in doors, you don't need the brightness available on LEDs.

Because of the geometry of our room. Also the projectors are waaaay up in the air and we don't own a man lift.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

Because of the geometry of our room. Also the projectors are waaaay up in the air and we don't own a man lift.
I gather this is an installed system. I see your point.
LED displays are more forgiving to light spill from FOH lighting.
I have done gigs with both high powered projectors and fairly good resolution LEDs (at the same time)and the LEDS simply don't render test as clearly as the projectors.
That said, the LEDs can look good but the finer the resolution, the faster the cost goes up.
20' is pretty close to be sitting to even a 4 mil LED display.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »

LED wall is going to be rediculously expensive to do 4K.  Regardless of resolution it will be seamless.  TV array can be nearly seamless and very high resolution but also very expensive.  I think the quote I had from Planar was around 80K for a 1x6 wall using 50" panels.

Either system uses a processor to take in a signal and scale it for the wall resolution and do any other signal processing or splitting.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:31:58 PM »

You could probably put 20k projectors on each screen and still have $$$ left over before you could put videowall in there.

Sean Mormelo

I need a 12' wide display. Whats better, TV array or LED panels?
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:14:27 AM »

We were faced with the same dilemma and we ended up with 65 inch screens three across right and 2 . But we're adding three more across the top. It's almost 16 feet across and right now over 5 feet wide but it will be about 15 1/2 x 8 1/2 when we add three more TVs on the top. Here it is before we added the 6th TV..

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:21:27 AM by Sean Mormelo »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:23:14 AM »

We were faced with the same dilemma and we ended up with 65 inch screens three across in right now to down. But we're adding three more to the top. It's almost 16 feet across and right now over 5 feet wide but it will be about 15 1/2 x 8 1/2 when we add three more TVs on the top.heee it is before we added the 6th TV..

That made little sense. Try again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:23:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.