ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor sound setup.  (Read 3884 times)

Steve Mason

Re: Outdoor sound setup.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:19 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.  We all gotta start somewhere.  Have been reading my ass off this last week and watching videos including Dave Rat's subwoofer series. I am going to follow up this post in the Lounge.  Just wanted to drop a "Thank You" in this thread for your responses.  I am learning a metric crap ton.

BTW I have considered renting but am several hours from an audio rental company of any significance.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »

Hi Steve-

You're right, your posting probably belongs in the Lounge forum at this point, but the mods can move this thread later...

We all started somewhere.  Some of us have more.. uh.. chronology and can tell about using Marconi spark-gap wireless mics and using goats to pull AC feeder cable...  ;)

The real answer to your *business* question is in Ray's reply.  The "try it and see" answers to your tech questions are in Chris H and John H's replies.  You don't need to set up the whole rig, just 1 of each model of subwoofer, they can be adjacent or spread apart.  Using pink noise and an SPL meter, turn up only the amp channel for the sub on your left, turn it up comfortably loud and note the SPL on the meter.  Turn that amp channel down and turn up the other side until the SPL matches.  Without moving the SPL meter, turn up the first sub.  Did the SPL go down or up?  Did the tonality of the sub sound change?  Is there a "hole" in the LF when you stand equidistant between the subs (or seem to disappear, if adjacent)?  If the answers are up; no; and no, you can do the center cluster John H suggests.  If the answer is "down, maybe, and yes, you need to flip the polarity of ONE of the subs and repeat the experiment.

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.