ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best current WAP/Router for any consoles and Lab Gruppen amps these days  (Read 26815 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Best current WAP/Router for any consoles and Lab Gruppen amps these days
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2022, 02:01:09 PM »

{...} I'll dig the Metal out {...}

Pretty sure there's a Tenacious D joke in here somewhere... :D

-Russ

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2022, 01:35:56 PM »

I bought a Metal to test it out.
Can connect to it by cable, but no matter what kind of configuration I try, I can|t find it by wifi. No extra network appear in my house.
Is there a secret button somewhere to turn on the ifi on the unit?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »

I bought a Metal to test it out.
Can connect to it by cable, but no matter what kind of configuration I try, I can|t find it by wifi. No extra network appear in my house.
Is there a secret button somewhere to turn on the ifi on the unit?

Welcome to my (former) world, Helge.  I need to find the box I stuffed it in and see if I can make it work.

I recall that the SSID was visible (it showed up as MikroTik) and at least one of my laptops connected to the AP but I was never successful in getting data between devices.

These things get used every day, all over the world.  Either we're really stupid and all the IT professionals here are stumped chumps, the equipment is defective, or.... ah the hell with it...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »

Welcome to my (former) world, Helge.  I need to find the box I stuffed it in and see if I can make it work.

I recall that the SSID was visible (it showed up as MikroTik) and at least one of my laptops connected to the AP but I was never successful in getting data between devices.

These things get used every day, all over the world.  Either we're really stupid and all the IT professionals here are stumped chumps, the equipment is defective, or.... ah the hell with it...

Did y'all check the bridge like I mentioned?  If you are still struggling I will make a video. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2022, 08:01:28 PM »

Did y'all check the bridge like I mentioned?  If you are still struggling I will make a video.
I tried a lot of things, including bridge.
At one point I saw the network «Mikrotik» from my phone for a few seconds, but then it dissapeared never to be seen again.

I’ll admit that I’m not even close to be a «wifi expert», OTOH I’ve never worked with a wifi unit where I couldn't get some kind of network visible.

I’m leaning towards the idea that this is a faulty unit or there is something here I don’t understand and need to learn.

BTW, the metal has a wifi status LED judging by the markings on the unit.
Haven’t seen a light there, haven’t found a manual where the LED status is explained 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 08:05:22 PM by Helge A Bentsen »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2022, 11:07:31 PM »

I tried a lot of things, including bridge.
At one point I saw the network «Mikrotik» from my phone for a few seconds, but then it dissapeared never to be seen again.

I’ll admit that I’m not even close to be a «wifi expert», OTOH I’ve never worked with a wifi unit where I couldn't get some kind of network visible.

I’m leaning towards the idea that this is a faulty unit or there is something here I don’t understand and need to learn.

BTW, the metal has a wifi status LED judging by the markings on the unit.
Haven’t seen a light there, haven’t found a manual where the LED status is explained 🤷‍♂️

Remember that these devices default to the proprietary point to point, they are meant meant for WISP providers.  Go into the radio interface and make sure it is set to 802.11 and not the proprietary protocol.

When you start the wizard you need to select AP mode.

When in the bridge, which is a virtual switch you need to put the ethernet port and the wireless radio on the same bridge.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2022, 04:42:31 AM »

Remember that these devices default to the proprietary point to point, they are meant meant for WISP providers.  Go into the radio interface and make sure it is set to 802.11 and not the proprietary protocol.

When in the bridge, which is a virtual switch you need to put the ethernet port and the wireless radio on the same bridge.

Ok, I need to fire it up again and have a second look.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2022, 12:48:55 PM »

Ok, I'm getting something here.
Plugged the Metal into my home network. Did a reset without loading any configuration from winbox, loaded Home AP configuration after reboot, set it to automatic address aquisition, turned on bridge, DHCP and gave it a DHCP range.
Now it works. My second computer can connect by Wifi, get's a IP and can connect to the internet.
The big question is, will this work if I plug it into a production network with automatic addressing?
I have a Dante network running with automatic addressing, I'm intending to use the Metal for remote access for Lake controller and such.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2022, 03:48:08 PM »

Ok, I'm getting something here.
Plugged the Metal into my home network. Did a reset without loading any configuration from winbox, loaded Home AP configuration after reboot, set it to automatic address aquisition, turned on bridge, DHCP and gave it a DHCP range.
Now it works. My second computer can connect by Wifi, get's a IP and can connect to the internet.
The big question is, will this work if I plug it into a production network with automatic addressing?
I have a Dante network running with automatic addressing, I'm intending to use the Metal for remote access for Lake controller and such.

No but you can change the interface from DHCP client to static and put your own IP in.  You can also turn the DHCP server on if you want it to hand out IP addresses.  Don't forget the DHCP service needs to be bound to the bridge interface.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »

No but you can change the interface from DHCP client to static and put your own IP in.  You can also turn the DHCP server on if you want it to hand out IP addresses.  Don't forget the DHCP service needs to be bound to the bridge interface.

Sounds reasonable :)
How do I bound the DHCP to the bridge interface?
If I understand this correctly, the DHCP will hand out adresses for both LAN units and Wifi units with this method?

Edit: Looks like it works when I add both ports to the bridge and set them to trusted :)

Edit 2: How do I set the DHCP range to start at a higher range than x.x.x.1?
I wish to keep the DHCP from distributing addresses below 100 in case someone plugs a d:live into the network...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 05:52:20 PM by Helge A Bentsen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.