ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best current WAP/Router for any consoles and Lab Gruppen amps these days  (Read 27057 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Best current WAP/Router for any consoles and Lab Gruppen amps these days
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »

https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

They're still making them...

UAP AC mesh and Edgerouter X SFP is my wireless setup.

I am still very happy with the Metal series from Microtik.  The first version of the software was less than optimum, the latest software has a DHCP server in a WAP, removable antenna and a production ready form factor.  I can put together a how to or setup a lunch and learn on the product.

These fit great on a mic stand, excellent range.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 01:06:10 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 07:52:04 PM »

I am still very happy with the Metal series from Microtik.  The first version of the software was less than optimum, the latest software has a DHCP server in a WAP, removable antenna and a production ready form factor.  I can put together a how to or setup a lunch and learn on the product.

These fit great on a mic stand, excellent range.

Enlighten us, oh wise one.

Last I knew you and I both were ready to "gloriously recycle" our respective Metals.

What alchemy succeeded?  Mine has NEVER connected to anything successfully.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 12:20:48 AM »

Enlighten us, oh wise one.

Last I knew you and I both were ready to "gloriously recycle" our respective Metals.

What alchemy succeeded?  Mine has NEVER connected to anything successfully.

Yes but I got another one.  I thought we chatted about it.  I got a Microtik home AP as my Unifi's were old and could not even come close to the new gig connection (I am getting over 500 continuous and usable, good service) anyone it was easy to setup.  So I unpacked the new Metal (I had forgotten I had one and bought this for the backyard),  It worked great out of the box.  I am not messing with the old one.  I have not loaded the new code on, I want to see if it was me.  If I can't get it to work I am going to load the new firmware and see.  I wonder if we just got a bad batch?  I will have some data points as I am snowed in and they postponed the Sat. show so just hanging, playing with this and trying some new recipes.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2022, 10:26:28 PM »

Indeed, now out of production so get one while you still can. {...}

Where did you hear this? Ubiquiti has been having some supply chain issues (surprise, surprise), and availability has been pretty spotty for a lot of their products for...a while, but I hadn't heard of any significant EOL-ing because of it (yet, at least)?

-Russ

Dan Currie

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 08:01:07 AM »

I've been using Metals successfully for years.  A friend asked me to set theirs up.  After multiple attempts I haven't had any luck, even after importing a working configuration from another Metal.  Could be from the same batch as yours.

Yes but I got another one.  I thought we chatted about it.  I got a Microtik home AP as my Unifi's were old and could not even come close to the new gig connection (I am getting over 500 continuous and usable, good service) anyone it was easy to setup.  So I unpacked the new Metal (I had forgotten I had one and bought this for the backyard),  It worked great out of the box.  I am not messing with the old one.  I have not loaded the new code on, I want to see if it was me.  If I can't get it to work I am going to load the new firmware and see.  I wonder if we just got a bad batch?  I will have some data points as I am snowed in and they postponed the Sat. show so just hanging, playing with this and trying some new recipes.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »

Where did you hear this? Ubiquiti has been having some supply chain issues (surprise, surprise), and availability has been pretty spotty for a lot of their products for...a while, but I hadn't heard of any significant EOL-ing because of it (yet, at least)?

-Russ

I'm a UBNT channel partner. Was told no more production of UAP-AC-M last time I tried to order from distributor. It's an older product, they are mov9ing to wifi6 product line.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2022, 03:58:38 PM »

I'm a UBNT channel partner. Was told no more production of UAP-AC-M last time I tried to order from distributor. It's an older product, they are mov9ing to wifi6 product line.

...and now that you mention it, none of the UAP-ACs are showing up on the main ui.com website anymore, either. Sorry!

I guess now I have to decide if I'd rather stock up on a discontinued product or follow Scott Holzman down the rabbit hole of finding an alternative. Hrm.

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »

I know you responded but we never got into details.  I'm wondering about a defective device because I'm pretty sure I did the hardware reset more than once, should have made it a default AP but I don't think I ever got *data* across the connection.  And IIRC, I was only able to connect to the AP once.  Might be time to do a full hardware reset again and approach with a fresh mind.

And if I can't get it to work, I'll bin it and move on with my Wifi life... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2022, 08:15:13 PM »

I know you responded but we never got into details.  I'm wondering about a defective device because I'm pretty sure I did the hardware reset more than once, should have made it a default AP but I don't think I ever got *data* across the connection.  And IIRC, I was only able to connect to the AP once.  Might be time to do a full hardware reset again and approach with a fresh mind.

And if I can't get it to work, I'll bin it and move on with my Wifi life... ;)

I would be happy to remote in too with you.

The keys of making it work:

Wizard - AP mode
Security profile config and selected
Bridge with the Ethernet port and the wireless modem in the bridge group

That's it

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2022, 01:15:46 PM »

I would be happy to remote in too with you.

The keys of making it work:

Wizard - AP mode
Security profile config and selected
Bridge with the Ethernet port and the wireless modem in the bridge group

That's it

Thanks, Scott.  I'll dig the Metal out and see what the setup pages look like.  What firmware are you using?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2022, 01:15:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.