ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR 112 failure  (Read 11535 times)

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
Re: DSR 112 failure
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »

Carmel NY, 60 miles north of NYC

I have 6 if you need any.  But I'm in Milford, CT.  Happy to help if I can.

--Kevin

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »

I have 6 if you need any.  But I'm in Milford, CT.  Happy to help if I can.

--Kevin
Wow Thanks Kevin.
I just went ahead and purchased a third one.

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »

Sorry for not keeping the thread updated.
I went ahead and purchased a third one, can't hurt right...Well I got the one that failed back from warranty repair a week and a half ago, they changed out the board. I tested it for about an hour with program music, then put it away. Had my first gig with it this past Saturday. 2 15 song sets with break music before, during and after. As the fireworks were going off for the carnival I see some guy staring right into the speaker a foot away, I am like wth, I walk over and before I get a chance to get to him I see no lights on, on the speaker...F#%!. Yep one gig and it's out again.

I just dropped it off again, he said Yamaha said it would replace it again and thats it. They say I must be over-driving it. I am no pro, but I know my gain staging, at least I think I do. Never overloading the main out nor any of the channels and my mixes are crystal clear with no distortion.  I am running an X32 rack, an XR18 was the board when it went out the first time. I run all the pre's gain at between 20 and 24 db, channel meters doing between -10 and -20, all mics are SM 58 vocal, 57 guitar, Beta 52 kick, PG56 toms, Audix f15 OH's, and a Sennheiser 604 snare. Butterworth 24 highpass at 105hz, with 20 to 1 giving me about 3-6 db gain reduction on the LR out. M/C to subs with BW 24 HP at 40hz and LP at 105hz All channels but Kick and Bass have 70 or 120 High Pass filters on, and every channel has a high cut at 12k to 15k. So there are no lows really even reaching the mains and no crazy highs. The peak lights nor the limiter lights never come on, output knob at 2 o'clock, there is no way I am over-driving these speakers.

Here is a 2 channel recording from the USB out to a thumb drive on the X32 the night it failed again...as you can hear I am not over driving anything, no post processing, directly from USB to computer.  http://www.baystallations.com/stixxstonz/TravelingBand.mp3

The warranty guy says if it goes again I will have to fight with Yamaha directly.
Wish me luck with the new board.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:05:02 PM by Kevin Bayersdorfer »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »

Sorry for not keeping the thread updated.
I went ahead and purchased a third one, can't hurt right...Well I got the one that failed back from warranty repair a week and a half ago, they changed out the board. I tested it for about an hour with program music, then put it away. Had my first gig with it this past Saturday. 2 15 song sets with break music before, during and after. As the fireworks were going off for the carnival I see some guy staring right into the speaker a foot away, I am like wth, I walk over and before I get a chance to get to him I see no lights on, on the speaker...F#%!. Yep one gig and it's out again.

I just dropped it off again, he said Yamaha said it would replace it again and thats it. They say I must be over-driving it. I am no pro, but I know my gain staging, at least I think I do. Never overloading the main out nor any of the channels and my mixes are crystal clear with no distortion.  I am running an X32 rack, an XR18 was the board when it went out the first time. I run all the pre's gain at between 20 and 24 db, channel meters doing between -10 and -20, all mics are SM 58 vocal, 57 guitar, Beta 52 kick, PG56 toms, Audix f15 OH's, and a Sennheiser 604 snare. Butterworth 24 highpass at 105hz, with 20 to 1 giving me about 3-6 db gain reduction on the LR out. M/C to subs with BW 24 HP at 40hz and LP at 105hz All channels but Kick and Bass have 70 or 120 High Pass filters on, and every channel has a high cut at 12k to 15k. So there are no lows really even reaching the mains and no crazy highs. The peak lights nor the limiter lights never come on, output knob at 2 o'clock, there is no way I am over-driving these speakers.

Here is a 2 channel recording from the USB out to a thumb drive on the X32 the night it failed again...as you can hear I am not over driving anything, no post processing, directly from USB to computer.  http://www.baystallations.com/stixxstonz/TravelingBand.mp3

The warranty guy says if it goes again I will have to fight with Yamaha directly.
Wish me luck with the new board.

It sounds like the nature of the failure points to over driving the unit and Yamaha & the service center know it.  After 8 years on the market they've fixed enough stuff that they know what various failures look like.  You might ask for a detailed report:  was it output transistors or PSU?  DSP?

The puzzling part is that you find no limiting or protect lights illuminated.  I'd expect to find the amp in fairly constant limiting for this failure to occur.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »

It sounds like the nature of the failure points to over driving the unit and Yamaha & the service center know it.  After 8 years on the market they've fixed enough stuff that they know what various failures look like.  You might ask for a detailed report:  was it output transistors or PSU?  DSP?

The puzzling part is that you find no limiting or protect lights illuminated.  I'd expect to find the amp in fairly constant limiting for this failure to occur.

He showed me the old board today. No visible burnt components, and he didn't tell me of any specific area that was a failure.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »

I have driven one of mine into hard clip for an entire set on accident.  No damage.  After that incident, it was hard for me to imagine how one might break one of these speakers.

When you get it back, can you check the back limit light to see if it is on at normal volumes (or even higher volumes)?  The DSR112 has a soft limiter that has pretty good hysteresis (it stays on a little bit after each transient .... at least the limit light does).

Jay Marr

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »

My band mate has a pair of DSR112s and they both just topped working, much like you described.
Both at different points in time.
Both speakers died while being used for light acoustic duo work (and that's all he's ever done with them).
Never got an explanation of what went wrong, both amps were just replaced by a local service center.

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »

My band mate has a pair of DSR112s and they both just topped working, much like you described.
Both speakers died while being used for light acoustic duo work (and that's all he's ever done with them).
Never got an explanation of what went wrong, both amps were just replaced by a local service center.

Same here.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »

That makes me think of PSU failure, but it could be any of several things.  Since it's all on 1 board I don't imagine there is any other fast repair.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Penrose

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:00:30 AM »

I have the DXR15's not DSR112's but had an engineer make a big mistake and drove them into hard clipping with the limiter light permanently on for a few minutes. The DXR's were absolutely screaming and distorting. I thought they were both damaged but after he realised and changed things, they were still working perfectly. This was two years ago!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:00:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.