ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50kw generator trouble shooting question  (Read 2242 times)

Noah D Mitchell

50kw generator trouble shooting question
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »

Afternoon,

Before I get into this: Rest assured I have an electrician who I'm told specializes in large generators and maintains them for the local county coming tomorrow to look at this problem.

I would like to get my head around this problem because the electrician will be meeting with my staff as I will be away.

Our 50kw Generac has given us an intermittent problem where it will run fine but simply produce no power (actually 12v, but that's it).

It happened once last year, but mysteriously 'went away' for no apparent reason. We chalked it up to loose connections somewhere and went on.

We've put 100 hours on it since then (still only 384 total), and now it's back and (it seems) to stay.

The techs discovered the problem while it was out in the field, and had no backup, so started googling. Read lots about 'flashing' a generator that has lost it's residual magnetism.

The 'hand drill' method did nothing, but the method described here had fair results.

But - what would happen is that while the 12v from the battery was connected to the generator brushes it would generate 110v, as soon as the 12v was removed there was no power output.

So - again - I'll have the tech by tomorrow, but any thoughts ahead of time to help me understand this problem?

Also - is there something we could be doing to cause this - or avoid doing - or is this just a regular maintenance issue?

Thank you!

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: 50kw generator trouble shooting question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »

Afternoon,

Before I get into this: Rest assured I have an electrician who I'm told specializes in large generators and maintains them for the local county coming tomorrow to look at this problem.

I would like to get my head around this problem because the electrician will be meeting with my staff as I will be away.

Our 50kw Generac has given us an intermittent problem where it will run fine but simply produce no power (actually 12v, but that's it).

It happened once last year, but mysteriously 'went away' for no apparent reason. We chalked it up to loose connections somewhere and went on.

We've put 100 hours on it since then (still only 384 total), and now it's back and (it seems) to stay.

The techs discovered the problem while it was out in the field, and had no backup, so started googling. Read lots about 'flashing' a generator that has lost it's residual magnetism.

The 'hand drill' method did nothing, but the method described here had fair results.

But - what would happen is that while the 12v from the battery was connected to the generator brushes it would generate 110v, as soon as the 12v was removed there was no power output.

So - again - I'll have the tech by tomorrow, but any thoughts ahead of time to help me understand this problem?

Also - is there something we could be doing to cause this - or avoid doing - or is this just a regular maintenance issue?

Thank you!

You should post this in the power/grounding section ..

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: 50kw generator trouble shooting question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.