ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville LS2100P or LS1801P??  (Read 9073 times)

Ryan Northrup

Yorkville LS2100P or LS1801P??
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »

It's been a long time since I've posted!! I want to add more oomph to my cover bands PA. I have owned the LS800p and absolutely LOVED them. LOVED THEM!! I ended up selling them to a close friend and started using my HPR 181s. In my opinion , they pale in comparison. I am missing that Yorkville "punch". I was going to order another pair of LS800's (which have since been replaced with the 801s) , but the. I noticed the 2100p. I can literally get 4 - 1801s for the price of a pair of 2100s , but I wanted to ask the experts if the 2100p was worth the extra dough.
 Also , it looks like the LS1801 is being discontinued for the new ES18P. Does anyone have details about the major differences, or hear any demos ? Thanks for the help folks!!

Douglas R. Allen

Re: Yorkville LS2100P or LS1801P??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »

It's been a long time since I've posted!! I want to add more oomph to my cover bands PA. I have owned the LS800p and absolutely LOVED them. LOVED THEM!! I ended up selling them to a close friend and started using my HPR 181s. In my opinion , they pale in comparison. I am missing that Yorkville "punch". I was going to order another pair of LS800's (which have since been replaced with the 801s) , but the. I noticed the 2100p. I can literally get 4 - 1801s for the price of a pair of 2100s , but I wanted to ask the experts if the 2100p was worth the extra dough.
 Also , it looks like the LS1801 is being discontinued for the new ES18P. Does anyone have details about the major differences, or hear any demos ? Thanks for the help folks!!

I'd go with these.     http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es18p/

Replacement to the LS801pb and have a different shape and features. I have the LS801pb myself but if I had to replace them I would with these.

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:28:00 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »

Not complicate your decision but I switched from the LS800 series to USC1Ps and couldn't be happier. In my opinion a more tighter sounding sub than the LS801. 

Looks like Yorkville  just continued the Unity line at least as far as the subs go; , which may be "older" technology. but sound great for their intended purpose. Also the only Yorkville sub in that range that actually packs well and is tall enough to ground stack larger tops.

Good chance you'll start seeing these subs being sold for a huge discount as dealers clear their stock.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:02:51 PM »

I have owned the LS800p and absolutely LOVED them. LOVED THEM!! I ended up selling them to a close friend and started using my HPR 181s. In my opinion , they pale in comparison. I am missing that Yorkville "punch".

The Yorkville "punch" you're referring to is a boomy hump between 60 and 80hz in the LS800 series, and not indicative of the entire Yorkville line. The LS2100P is smoother, goes lower, and can be a decent sub for DJs and EDM artists who require accurate synth tones below 40hz. The LS800 series can be flattering to the kick of classic rock and cover bar bands though.

If you really like the sound of the LS800/801P I'd suggest to patiently shop used. There was a local guy who recently sold four of them for pennies on the dollar. They are not a sub that's in high demand right now. 

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »

The Yorkville "punch" you're referring to is a boomy hump between 60 and 80hz in the LS800 series, and not indicative of the entire Yorkville line. The LS2100P is smoother, goes lower, and can be a decent sub for DJs and EDM artists who require accurate synth tones below 40hz. The LS800 series can be flattering to the kick of classic rock and cover bar bands though.

If you really like the sound of the LS800/801P I'd suggest to patiently shop used. There was a local guy who recently sold four of them for pennies on the dollar. They are not a sub that's in high demand right now.

There is no Boomy Hump between 60 and 80 hz in the LS800/LS801pb subs. I don't know where this myth came from but its not there. I've measured mine outside with smaart and they are flat in their bandpass when set on loud. Only when Deep is used do they have a bump in response and its centered at 53 hz.
With a 5.5 db cut at 53 hz with a Q of 6.3 with the sub set on deep you get a flat response with a 6 db down point at 38hz. How I use mine. The spec's yorkville give of the response of the sub is dead on. 6db's down at 45hz on Loud.

I've seen this "Boomy Sub" response so many times. I believe most people who use it have it set too loud and their tops just can't keep up.

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:28:59 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:25:43 AM »

There is no Boomy Hump between 60 and 80 hz in the LS800/LS801pb subs. I don't know where this myth came from but its not there. I've measured mine outside with smaart and the are flat in their bandpass when set on loud. Only when Deep is used do they have a bump in response and its centered at 53 hz.
With a 5.5 db cut at 53 hz with a Q of 6.3 with the sub set on deep you get a flat response with a 6 db down point at 37hz. How I use mine. The spec's yorkville give of the response of the sub is dead on. 6db's down at 45hz on Loud.

I've seen this "Boomy Sub" response so many times. I believe most people who use it have it set too loud and their tops just can't keep up.

Douglas R. Allen

Set on Deep.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:27:00 AM »

Set on Deep.

Set on Deep with 5.5 db cut. Q of 6.3

Douglas R. Allen

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »

There is no Boomy Hump between 60 and 80 hz in the LS800/LS801pb subs. I don't know where this myth came from but its not there.

Douglas R. Allen

I think it's partly because of the graphs Bassboss made a few years ago of several subs at maximum output (a link to which I can't seem to find this morning), and partially because of what many of us have observed in the field. Granted Bassboss has their own agenda, and as for me I just show up and the sound system has been provided when it comes to Yorkville subs. I have no idea how they're set, and no idea how Bassboss had them set either.

If you like them Douglas that's great, and the OP obviously does too. The main point of my post was there's often good deals on them used when they pop up.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »

I think it's partly because of the graphs Bassboss made a few years ago of several subs at maximum output (a link to which I can't seem to find this morning), and partially because of what many of us have observed in the field. Granted Bassboss has their own agenda, and as for me I just show up and the sound system has been provided when it comes to Yorkville subs. I have no idea how they're set, and no idea how Bassboss had them set either.

If you like them Douglas that's great, and the OP obviously does too. The main point of my post was there's often good deals on them used when they pop up.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I agree its hard to walk up and be handed a system with little to no time to tweek it or even give it a good listen. I like the subs for what they are. I feel its the High Cut filter that could be improved for those who use the built in crossover's in them.  It seems to be a staggered pole design of some sort. The response drops some. Then levels a little then drops steeper. Like a double 12 db filter cut to get a 24 db total cut but with the 2 points at different frequencies. If not set right this could leave to a lot of overlap in the 120hz/150hz range. This could be the boom? some hear but 1 octave up. I am using the built in crossover in my M32r desks mono out to roll that off at a steeper rate. If a person didn't know that and set the crossover at 150 hz it could be quite loud there. 

The subs really do have a high output. I found 2 of the yorkville EF500p tops to 1 sub is a pretty good match. If  a person had 4 subs then they would need a high output top/s to keep up. If they didn't turn the subs down I expect they would sound boomy with no mid/highs to keep up in the crossover area.
I do agree these are moving used at a great price right now. I expect the new LS801's to be reduced soon too as the new version comes to the market. I had thought about selling my two and going with the 21's but "wow" over 200lbs is a little much for a single owner/provider.

Kindest regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »

My opinion is that unless you are doing EDM/Dance Music the LS21 won't be of much higher return in relation to the size, weight, cost. As noted, they did just update the series. The new box is a bit thinner but taller, goes a little deeper and has a much improved DSP module. The small demo I heard at Infocomm it seemed to not be lacking in anything my LS800p can do plus is easier to transport and can be monitored and adjusted remotely.
Also noted, it should be easy to find some used 800/801s for a pretty reasonable cost. Everyone is always looking for smaller & lighter...
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.