ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: XLR shells shorter than standard? (or other options)  (Read 9097 times)

David Allred

XLR shells shorter than standard? (or other options)
« on: June 19, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »

I am wanting to leave a few gear to gear connections via XLR with rack cover on for storage.  The rack is SKB / Gator style case with the standard 2" deep lids.  I don't want to use right angle xlr's if other options are available.
I came across these... Neutrik NC3MXX-WOB.  The description is very non-descript as to it's intended purpose.  Are these bootless connectors functional as is, or are they simply for people that have boots and don't want to buy more boots?
I think I need to lose at least 3/4", I think  Any other options?

Mal Brown

Re: XLR shells shorter than standard? (or other options)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »

Personally I use neutrik 90 deg XLR connectors where necessary.   All my I/O is hardwired using Middle Atlantic or Audiopile rack panels. On the rack fronts as well.  I like not digging around in the racks.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »

Boots (bushings) are available in multiple colors for customizing and color coding. Can you live without the strain relief for the cable?  If so, then try it without and see if it is durable enough for your use.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »

Without boot means that it's the same connector, it just doesn't have a boot. If you already had boots, or wanted colored boots instead of the standard black ones, you could save some money by buying the connector without the boot. They won't work for your intended purpose though.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »

Personally I use neutrik 90 deg XLR connectors where necessary.   All my I/O is hardwired using Middle Atlantic or Audiopile rack panels. On the rack fronts as well.  I like not digging around in the racks.

This is a front to front connection.  MR18 outputs to front patch panel inputs.  5 total patches.  Beginning to think that the time required to make the cables (plus $70-ish) is not really worth minimal time saved.  Mr. Murphy said the set-up will change and at least 2 cables will no longer be long enough.

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »

Can you live without the strain relief for the cable?  If so, then try it without and see if it is durable enough for your use.

I may play with a partial that I have laying around just to see how practical it is.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »

I am wanting to leave a few gear to gear connections via XLR with rack cover on for storage.  The rack is SKB / Gator style case with the standard 2" deep lids.  I don't want to use right angle xlr's if other options are available.
I came across these... Neutrik NC3MXX-WOB.  The description is very non-descript as to it's intended purpose.  Are these bootless connectors functional as is, or are they simply for people that have boots and don't want to buy more boots?

The normal thing to do is to move the rack rails back further in the rack, but I doubt that's possible with the SKB...

I think your follow up post about the nature of your patch changing and probably just manually patching a few connections is the best solution for the moment.  You might also end up moving the equipment to a different rack at some point and have enough room to leave things connected. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »

There are various brackets out there that will allow you to mount gear back further from the rails if you have the depth available.  A quick search led me to these:  http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/standoff_rack_extender.asp

I've seen others of a different style too.  That's probably your best bet if you can't use 90s.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:02 PM »

There are various brackets out there that will allow you to mount gear back further from the rails if you have the depth available.  A quick search led me to these:  http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/standoff_rack_extender.asp

I've seen others of a different style too.  That's probably your best bet if you can't use 90s.
I have used these and they do the job.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/hardware-fasteners/other-hardware/rr2-3rcn.aspx

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »

Long 10-32 cap screws, and nuts and flat washers, allow you to recess any unit to more or less any depth you need. The cap screw is threaded all the way in to the rail, and then the nuts and washers are adjusted on the inside of the rail to the correct recess needed. It is a bit of a PITA, but you can get the hardware you need from your favorite local hardware store. A hollow shaft nutdriver (or deep socket) makes it go faster.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 06:10:32 AM »

There's a community of XR18 users who have 3d printing patterns for rack ears, including options for setting the mixer further back in the rack case.

Better still, some have holes in the bracket that allow an XLR cable to pass from front to back, which might help in your situation.

David Allred

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »

Thanks all.

Rick Earl

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »

There are these nice compact right angle with color coded caps:
http://www.redco.com/CT-LPXLR-3M-K-Low-Profile-Right-Angle-Male-XLR.html

Redco also makes some nice recess brackets:
http://www.redco.com/Recessed-Rack-Panel-Recess-Kit-1-Pair.html

Jay Marr

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »

Aren't the MR18/XR18 rack ears reversible, specifically so you can mount it further back in a rack case?

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »

Aren't the MR18/XR18 rack ears reversible, specifically so you can mount it further back in a rack case?

For a front rail mount, reversing the ears would effectively extend the unit face OUT, if memory serves, about 1/2".  Behringer / Midas could easily have made the mixer attachment flange much longer/deeper with additional holes spaced 1/2" apart.  Would have added, what, $.25 to the cost?

David Allred

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »

I cut the flex-boot off right at the shell.  It still has a partial liner, so the cable rubs on a bit of poly(?) instead of steal (if it even matters).  The cable gripper in still employed and the cable bend height is sufficiently low for the cover to close.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »

There are these nice compact right angle with color coded caps:
http://www.redco.com/CT-LPXLR-3M-K-Low-Profile-Right-Angle-Male-XLR.html

Those look good - thanks for posting.  I've tried using "conventional" right angle XLR's in a rack application before, but they always seem to interfere with something above or below the unit being connected.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/AAA3MBYYLP?qs=qSfuJ%252Bfl%2Fd54K88u4CVaOQ%3D%3D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-KeqseW7AIVSf_jBx0F6QUpEAQYAyABEgLcXvD_BwE
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:31:02 PM by Mac Kerr »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »

A lot of on-location sound mixers use such connectors and cable assemblies.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 04:03:54 AM »

I use these as well. In fact I have some in a Gator molded rack case - similar to the SKB. Works like a charm.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »

I’ve been using these shorter capsules from Cable Techniques. They are a bit pricey but they are solid metal capsules and well built.
This is an older photo of my one of my older digital racks that I used on my mixbuss connectors, I’ve added 20 low profile connectors to my inputs from my snake and it’s nice and tidy.

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 02:05:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.