ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inno Spot Pro, Focus Spot 2, or Intimidator 255Irc??  (Read 4718 times)

Sean Mormelo

Inno Spot Pro, Focus Spot 2, or Intimidator 255Irc??
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »

I'm looking to buy four more moving head spots for my rear trusses for Eye candy effects etc. my budget is five to $600 a fixture. I currently have two. Chauvet Pro R1 Spots on the front Truss totems and 4 R1 Wash Zooms on the rear.

In a perfect world ideally I'd like motorized zoom three facet prism, obviously at least one gobo wheel. If anyone has any recommendations insight into any of these fixtures and what I should buy I'd love to hear it thank you.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Inno Spot Pro, Focus Spot 2, or Intimidator 255Irc??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »

Hi Sean, just to ask the question - why not more of what you already have?  I know they're a bit more than what you're looking to spend this time around but not by that much.  It'd give you a more "strength in numbers" approach that leads to more placement options, coordinated effects, and impressive movements versus a mixed bag of moving lights.  That's also not to mention the behind the scenes benefits such as common replacement parts and such.  Just as a personal preference, I'd see more potential with you having 6 R1 Spots or 8 R1 Washes versus 2 of one, 4 of another, 4 of yet another, etc. when the fixtures aren't all that different to begin with. 

That said, if you are looking for something different I'd try some units way outside of what your current fixtures are capable of doing.  That might be a "beam" effect, a few Intimidator Wave effects, a pair of Martin Wizards, moving bars...something that your current fixtures simply cannot do versus a slightly more budget version of fixtures you already have.  Just my thoughts though!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »

Following up on what Jeff is saying, having more of the same fixture means that the colors are going to match, and the intensities will be uniform. The other fixtures will be way weaker, and may get lost in the glare of brighter lights. (Yes, you could dim the R fixtures to match, but would that give you the punch you have come to expect?)

FWIW, the theater where I tech is going to replace 10 new ETC FOH full color LED fixtures with the same basic instrument from Chauvet Pro, just so the FOH and Chauvet overhead washes can be exactly the same colors. (We'll keep the ETCs for side lights.)  Both are RBGALime, but they don't mix the same. Having matching colors makes the lighting design much easier.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »

Hi Sean, just to ask the question - why not more of what you already have?  I know they're a bit more than what you're looking to spend this time around but not by that much.  It'd give you a more "strength in numbers" approach that leads to more placement options, coordinated effects, and impressive movements versus a mixed bag of moving lights.  That's also not to mention the behind the scenes benefits such as common replacement parts and such.  Just as a personal preference, I'd see more potential with you having 6 R1 Spots or 8 R1 Washes versus 2 of one, 4 of another, 4 of yet another, etc. when the fixtures aren't all that different to begin with. 

That said, if you are looking for something different I'd try some units way outside of what your current fixtures are capable of doing.  That might be a "beam" effect, a few Intimidator Wave effects, a pair of Martin Wizards, moving bars...something that your current fixtures simply cannot do versus a slightly more budget version of fixtures you already have.  Just my thoughts though!

Don't have 6K more at this time for new fixtures plain and simple. I don't have the budget. I have no beam type fixtures in the back. Spots with prism and split beam gobo stuff that is STANDARD in all concert lighting. So the thought was instead of 2 of what we have we can get 4 of something lessor. I have a couple moving bars up in the center rear totems and they are really cool.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

It's really up to you then.  I'd argue that prisms are not a "standard" effect in ALL concert lighting.  Adding movers with prisms won't suddenly up your level of game or prestige - it's just another effect in the box.  Trust me, your clients won't suddenly pay twice the price because all your movers have prisms!  When used tastefully they can do some neat effects as I'm sure you already know, but it's never been a must-have to me.  I've lit concerts of very substantial size using no moving lights at all!  The problem that you're going to run into is that no mover in the price range you're shopping has the output to handle a prism while still maintaining reasonable intensity, especially when sitting next to your R1s.  Remember that a prism is splitting the light 3, 5, 8 etc. ways, so your beam will just get dimmer as you drop these effects in.  Besides, your R1 Spots already have prisms, so I'm not sure why you'd want anything different then?  If anything, I'd say that's even more justification to simply add another 4 units to inventory!

A lot of this comes down to the art of lighting design, but I generally tend to work with effects I know I can pull off well with what I'm given.  That's why I got away from lasers a few years ago.  The cost and surrounding logistics made it too difficult/expensive to pull off well, so instead of doing it poorly I just use different effects - ones that I can do properly with what's in my personal inventory or can be easily rented as needed.   

Just as an aside though, getting four of either existing fixture shouldn't cost you 6K from a dealer that you have a decent relationship with.  Not to talk pricing too much, but a set of 4 R1 Spots should be closer to 4K, 4 R1 Washes around 3K.  Road cases will add to that, but you'll still be way under 6K.  The reason I make this point is that when all said and done, you're probably only talking a few hundred dollars difference in price between more R1s versus something like what you think you want, and going the R1 route will give you all the advantages Mark and I mentioned above.  Hope this helps!

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »

I've installed a few Inno Spot Pros and had very good results. On a budget they are a decent choice. No experience with the other models.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Rob Gow

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »

My light rig has 3 types of fixtures.

Top: Chauvet intimidator spot duos
Middle: Blizzard 3NX
Bottom: Martin Minimac Profiles

Every set has their use and they play nice together.  The spot duos are a 10W beam which cuts through pretty good.

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »

It's really up to you then.  I'd argue that prisms are not a "standard" effect in ALL concert lighting.  Adding movers with prisms won't suddenly up your level of game or prestige - it's just another effect in the box.  Trust me, your clients won't suddenly pay twice the price because all your movers have prisms!  When used tastefully they can do some neat effects as I'm sure you already know, but it's never been a must-have to me.  I've lit concerts of very substantial size using no moving lights at all!  The problem that you're going to run into is that no mover in the price range you're shopping has the output to handle a prism while still maintaining reasonable intensity, especially when sitting next to your R1s.  Remember that a prism is splitting the light 3, 5, 8 etc. ways, so your beam will just get dimmer as you drop these effects in.  Besides, your R1 Spots already have prisms, so I'm not sure why you'd want anything different then?  If anything, I'd say that's even more justification to simply add another 4 units to inventory!

A lot of this comes down to the art of lighting design, but I generally tend to work with effects I know I can pull off well with what I'm given.  That's why I got away from lasers a few years ago.  The cost and surrounding logistics made it too difficult/expensive to pull off well, so instead of doing it poorly I just use different effects - ones that I can do properly with what's in my personal inventory or can be easily rented as needed.   

Just as an aside though, getting four of either existing fixture shouldn't cost you 6K from a dealer that you have a decent relationship with.  Not to talk pricing too much, but a set of 4 R1 Spots should be closer to 4K, 4 R1 Washes around 3K.  Road cases will add to that, but you'll still be way under 6K.  The reason I make this point is that when all said and done, you're probably only talking a few hundred dollars difference in price between more R1s versus something like what you think you want, and going the R1 route will give you all the advantages Mark and I mentioned above.  Hope this helps!

Thanks. I don't see spots that are effectively brighter than Intimidator 355's being an issue competing with my 2 R1's. Maybe I can't turn the R1's up all the way, but so what, I'm sure they will be PLENTY bright! I have FAR and AWAY enough lights to light up the band and I want more movers for eye candy. I've been watching 100's of concerts and light shows for the past year and I have a pretty good grasp on what I want. Spots in the the rear will do it, especially ones that are versatile.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »

Thanks. I don't see spots that are effectively brighter than Intimidator 355's being an issue competing with my 2 R1's. Maybe I can't turn the R1's up all the way, but so what, I'm sure they will be PLENTY bright! I have FAR and AWAY enough lights to light up the band and I want more movers for eye candy. I've been watching 100's of concerts and light shows for the past year and I have a pretty good grasp on what I want. Spots in the the rear will do it, especially ones that are versatile.

The spot duo's are awesome in that regard. If you need brighter, there's the Duo 150's (or their newer models). From what I've read, a pair of them play very nicely together for effect lighting.

Rob Gow

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »

Here's the spot duos in action. Programmed by dmxis. Controlled by an FCB1010 midi foot controller

https://youtu.be/JnbvcdGOG1I

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.