ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The age old connundrum of what vehicle to buy.  (Read 12016 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: The age old connundrum of what vehicle to buy.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »

Hello Scott,
I live, and gig, in Utah. I use the vehicle 90% in the western US, with some travel in the east.

Regards, Jack

Ok,  wanted to make sure you were not in EU.

Most of the recommendations seem to ignore your frugality requirement.

Here is my take -

Cost no object, Mercedes GLK Turbo Diesel.

Cost a factor:

Subaru Outback or XV

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:49:05 PM »

Hi, Jack...

Two words: turbo diesel.

I love my Sprinter, 28MPG all day long, posi-traction is great in snow and rain. Maybe a used Metris? Must be some floating around to be had under $20k.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »

Since no one has suggested a sedan yet, I'm going to jump out there and say the Ford Panther platform cars. This would be the full sized Crown Vic, CVPI, And Grand Marquis. They have a near bulletproof drivetrain thanks to the police car use. They are body-on-frame cars just like a real truck. They are able to tow pretty much anything an F150 would tow. And the civilian versions are pretty nice inside and comfy to drive.

I think Tim's on to something, since you like sedans. I think you'd want to get a proper crown vic-interceptor (the unmarked versions have regular interiors I think) for their suspension and drivetrain upgrade. I have a friend with a early 00s Vic interceptor and it's a beast.

Plus when not towing you'll have tons of trunk space.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »

What is the percentage of tow use?  A good V6 sedan like a Mazda 6 (Ford Fusion) or Honda Accord can pull an occasional 3500.  I used to tow a 14' outboard with a 2nd gen 4cyl Accord.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

What is the percentage of tow use?  A good V6 sedan like a Mazda 6 (Ford Fusion) or Honda Accord can pull an occasional 3500.  I used to tow a 14' outboard with a 2nd gen 4cyl Accord.

While it's true that the most humble of cars can pull a rather large load, it's STOPPING and CONTROLLING that load that counts. I wouldn't want to regularly rely on a small car to pull a lot of weight. I larger car or smaller truck is a better answer. Also, trailer brakes. Trailer brakes are the answer.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »

The other question is how long the transmission and drivetrain will last under 'abuse'.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »

Hello Scott,
I live, and gig, in Utah. I use the vehicle 90% in the western US, with some travel in the east.

Regards, Jack
Jack,

Sedan Delivery.

The Sprinter and the various versions are great haulers, but not a sedan.

An appropriate sedan for you, would be a Subaru Outback. Hauls assets!
That said, after my ex offered to sell the 2015 gifted Subaru Outback back to me for $25K, I reviewed the 2006 Mustang as my primary "tractor".

The 2015 Outback was the most silent car I have rode in, and hauled 3600 pounds of trailer cross country no problem with a complete trailer neophyte (the EX) towing it.

My primary ride has been a 2006 Mustang for some time, not giving it up. Had a very good installer do the hitch with a class III receiver, over the  capacity, but fits my hitches.
After installing adjustable air shocks on the Mustang, it can haul the trailer(s) with no problems (kids, don't do this at home, it is only rated for 1000 pounds...) and just "feels" better to me than the Outback, except for the right front brake is a bit sticky-bad down here as the roads seem to have a slick from sea sand and salt that is as bad as snow when it rains.

MPG is not great, the Mustang gets 25 MPG when not aggro, and about 15 MPG with the trailer, but it gets from here to there eventually (John Kay- Steppenwolf).
From here to there is fun!

Art

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:39:54 AM by Art Welter »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »

Jack,

Sedan Delivery.

The Sprinter and the various versions are great haulers, but not a sedan.

An appropriate sedan for you, would be a Subaru Outback. Hauls assets!
That said, after my ex offered to sell the 2015 gifted Subaru Outback back to me for $25K, I reviewed the 2006 Mustang as my primary "tractor".

The 2015 Outback was the most silent car I have rode in, and hauled 3600 pounds of trailer cross country no problem with a complete trailer neophyte (the EX) towing it.

My primary ride has been a 2006 Mustang for some time, not giving it up. Had a very good installer do the hitch with a class III receiver, over the  capacity, but fits my hitches.
After installing adjustable air shocks on the Mustang, it can haul the trailer(s) with no problems (kids, don't do this at home, it is only rated for 1000 pounds...) and just "feels" better to me than the Outback, except for the right front brake is a bit sticky-bad down here as the roads seem to have a slick from sea sand and salt that is as bad as snow when it rains.

MPG is not great, the Mustang gets 25 MPG when not aggro, and about 15 MPG with the trailer, but it gets from here to there eventually (John Kay- Steppenwolf).
From here to there is fun!

Art

I assume you drove to emergency room so it knows the way if you are incapacitated.

I will post some pics after this weekend.  We did a couple of gigs out on the west coast.  My partner went out into the desert and found a cherry Ram minivan with the divider, flat floor, window cages etc.  He drove it back in 2 1/2 days.  This month we say goodbye to the Chevy Venture and Olds Silhouette that have served us well.  Both took an ungodly amount of gear and abuse and never stranded us.

The E350 just had the diesel injectors serviced, new oil cooler, EGR delete and a mild tune kit.  It joins the Ram and my F150 which is now a company vehicle.

I keep reminiscing but when I wandered in here almost 3 years ago it was me and the Venture van.  Fun to see what you are doing Art.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »

Maybe a used Metris? Must be some floating around to be had under $20k.

Not so much.  I've been watching the Metris but I have yet to see a used one under $20k yet.  I'm currently on the hunt for a mint 2003 Ram van 1500 SWB since they're the last "full size" van that will fit in a 6'8" parking garage. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »

Hello Scott,

Regards, Jack

I'm also behind the Zion Curtain. ;)

While it's not a sedan and won't get 30 MPG, I find the 2nd generation (2001) Jeep Grand Cherokee to be very practical.  I needed something to haul drums & sound equipment, have good tow capability (6500 lbs w/ V8), and be a good winter vehicle (4x4). 

I haven't towed much with it since I can carry most of my gear in the cargo area.  With the rear seats folded down the cargo area floor is completely flat -- no wheel well humps to deal with.  The hatch area is large, too, which allows me to get KW181 subs in wheels down.  Compared to trucks and most other SUVs, this model Grand Cherokee is a fairly small vehicle, but I think it makes excellent use of interior space.  Just another option.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.