ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: two different 2k inverter gens ?  (Read 15374 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: two different 2k inverter gens ?
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »

I don't see how using two generators that are factory designed to run in parallel with a factory parallel kit is a kludge. It sounds like redundancy to me.  Two amps for two sets of speakers is not a kludge. Two microphones is not a kludge.
Frank, I realize that threads can meander in many directions and do not "belong" to the original poster or to anyone else, but that said, the original purpose of this thread was asking if it was OK to parallel two dissimilar generators from different manufacturers.  The answer to this question from a manufacturer's perspective and from a perspective of liability for posters on this thread is unequivocally NO.  It is not safe as a general rule to plug any old generators together. 

You have redirected this thread several times to "If generators are designed to be paralleled, they can be paralleled".  Even this is only true if the generators are designed to be paralleled with each other - i.e. the same model - but you are casting an overly broad net, which certainly doesn't cover the OP's scenario, and is dangerous for the casual reader who reads your first post:

BTW  You didn't ask but the internet seems equally divided on paralleling two different brands 

Half have not tried it and say it can't be done.

Half have tried it and say it works fine.  They have even paralleled battery input inverters with inverter generators.

First one running is master.  The generator looks for a master when started (AC voltage at its output.  If not found, then it becomes the master.

but not the caveats and disclaimers later in the thread. You can't assume that different generators use the same synchronization method and won't have compatibility issues in some other way.

As to two generators in parallel creating redundancy - I would argue that it doesn't.  If you're using enough power to require two generators in the first place, the loss of one generator will shift all the load to the remaining generator, causing that generator to overload and shutdown as well.  If the load is divided between multiple generators (which is still a kludge, but at least is a simpler kludge), you can make decisions about dividing the load, and potentially put riskier things on one generator (lights, backline, etc.) and your FOH system on the other generator, so you may lose part of your load but the main system keeps going.

I agree with Tim - this is a kludge/BS.  The right solution is getting a single generator large enough to get the job done.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »

Frank, I realize that threads can meander in many directions and do not "belong" to the original poster or to anyone else, but that said, the original purpose of this thread was asking if it was OK to parallel two dissimilar generators from different manufacturers.  The answer to this question from a manufacturer's perspective and from a perspective of liability for posters on this thread is unequivocally NO.  It is not safe as a general rule to plug any old generators together. 

OP  "A buddy who has a Honda EU2000 asked about using my Wen 2000(basically a Yamaha) together. If each is doing different chores yet tied together with interconnected wiring (like XLRs), Would you need to sync the two generators or would grounds-only be enough?

He wants one for mains and FOH, the other for back line and a few powered monitors. "  NOT paralleled.
Not to Code

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

This thread has run its course.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.